New Ford Focus 1.5L EcoBoost e85 AT

JAS21

Has anyone bought one yet. Mrs J is replacing her old Mazda Lantis banger. She has tested this along with the Mazda3 SP Sport and the Civic turbo (RS)... apparently the ride in the normal turbo and the RS is identical. The Ford ride is the best in both our opinions and it's quite loaded including parking itself parallel and end on. The Civic is more 'up market' inside but N&H remain, well to me anyway.  

This month Ford are offering 100K off the price of (1,099,000) and including, insurance, 5 service labour and the usual other things. So at present it's 999,000thb. It is very tempting ...  Ford Knockers try and stay away please.

Edited by JAS21

I haven't bought one just yet. My wife has a 2012 2.0 Focus Sport +  (the one with the dual clutch gearbox) which she was going to replace with the new Focus. It handles excellently, its comfortable and has a load of features which the competition doesn't have. The only downsides we could see were; the fact that effectively it's a revision to the existing model and a whole new model will be launched in a couple of years and the possibility that Ford might follow the same strategy as Chevrolet and only build trucks and SUV's in Thailand as a result of poor sales/damaged image because of the gearbox issue. However, we pretty much resolved to buy one until we heard about the new Civic hatchback. Hence we'll wait until after the motor show

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

Hi jas21 is the gearbox problem all sorted, or is it a different one now. i like the honda's, my 11 year old city never missed a beat.

Ford 1.5 Ecosport 's transmission issues have been solved.

5 hours ago, Big Guns said:

I haven't bought one just yet. My wife has a 2012 2.0 Focus Sport +  (the one with the dual clutch gearbox) which she was going to replace with the new Focus. It handles excellently, its comfortable and has a load of features which the competition doesn't have. The only downsides we could see were; the fact that effectively it's a revision to the existing model and a whole new model will be launched in a couple of years and the possibility that Ford might follow the same strategy as Chevrolet and only build trucks and SUV's in Thailand as a result of poor sales/damaged image because of the gearbox issue. However, we pretty much resolved to buy one until we heard about the new Civic hatchback. Hence we'll wait until after the motor show

I can't see the bit about changing like chevrolet. They have too much investment here.

FYI .the EV is now the top selling 'body on frame' .....................that is one up Toyota and a few others on this forum aswell ?

27 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Did the Mazda 3 have low profile tires on it ? May explain the bad ride. I found this to be true and would change to a smaller diameter wheel with decent sidewalls first thing.

I don't know what profile, just that they were round. Mazda have had NHV issues for years and years. This 'updated' model has extra insulation in an attempt to sort. Maybe Mazda haven't thought of your idea ...  

The risks of low-profile tyres

Australian roads can be pretty rough. Your tyres, an integral part of your car's suspension system, are on the frontline when it comes to dealing with humps, potholes and other irregularities. As the tyre profile reduces, so does the tyre's ability to absorb and cushion bumps, which results in a firmer and less comfortable ride. At the same time, the chance of impact damage to the tyres, wheels and other components goes up. 

https://www.choice.com.au/transport/cars/tyres/articles/low-profile-tyres-pros-and-cons

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I can't see the bit about changing like chevrolet. They have too much investment here.

FYI .the EV is now the top selling 'body on frame' .....................that is one up Toyota and a few others on this forum aswell ?

I think you misunderstood my point. Ford may choose to build the Focus and Fiesta for export only as a result of the damaged brand reputation. The pickups and the Everest sell well. I like Ford and  have senior contacts in Ford manufacturing and I want to thoroughly check this point before buying.

4 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

I think you misunderstood my point. Ford may choose to build the Focus and Fiesta for export only as a result of the damaged brand reputation. The pickups and the Everest sell well. I like Ford and  have senior contacts in Ford manufacturing and I want to thoroughly check this point before buying.

After checking with my contacts in Ford Asia (both Bangkok and Shanghai), they confirmed that they will not be pulling out of Thailand with their passenger cars. Even further, they are committed to sell a model under the ford fiesta in the new ECO car phase 2 starting in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

I don't know what profile, just that they were round. Mazda have had NHV issues for years and years. This 'updated' model has extra insulation in an attempt to sort. Maybe Mazda haven't thought of your idea ...  

My civic had quite a lot of tire noise when I got it and so did the test car. My wife negotiated with the Honda dealer to pay me the money for the spoiler, side skirts and front spoiler so I could get new and better tires.

They gave me 15,000 baht discount on top of a lot of freebies. I am running Vredestein Sportrac 5 tires now and the noise has disappeared. 

Honda is putting cheap EC300 Dunlops on their cars and they make a lot of noise. (The Honda RS has yokohamas I think?) 

6 minutes ago, JoeW said:

After checking with my contacts in Ford Asia (both Bangkok and Shanghai), they confirmed that they will not be pulling out of Thailand with their passenger cars. Even further, they are committed to sell a model under the ford fiesta in the new ECO car phase 2 starting in a couple of years.

That's good news I'll still check with the manufacturing guys when I see them in a few weeks. Rayong branch say they haven't sold a single Focus. There's still the other problem of buyer remorse in a year or so when the completely new Focus is launched. For someone like my wife the 2017 revision doesn't look massively different to the 2012 model.

8 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

That's good news I'll still check with the manufacturing guys when I see them in a few weeks. Rayong branch say they haven't sold a single Focus. There's still the other problem of buyer remorse in a year or so when the completely new Focus is launched. For someone like my wife the 2017 revision doesn't look massively different to the 2012 model.

Ford never really was popular for their passenger cars in Thailand I think, but their pickups and SUVs didn't do too poorly.

Here in Isaan, there are still a quite a lot of old rangers driving around and we see a lot of newer rangers too. 

It takes time to change the mindset of people, but if MG can do for Thai people then Ford should be able to do it too I think :)

On 22/02/2017 at 4:07 PM, JAS21 said:

Isn't the Focus made in Vietnam?

• 3 weeks later...

I do have this car, had it 7 months. Out of all that is available in that range

it is the best looking and the only one that felt right when I sat in it. Even more so when I drove it.it is quicker and faster than all the others, the handeling is superb.  

Not a family car in my mind, I will not let my wife drive it.it could get you into trouble very quickly.

without kicking in the turbo it is quick. use S mode it can be scary. It will hit red line 

before you can move your eyes to read the tach. In this mode the computer does not do the shifting the driver must do. How fast it will I don't know, I only done 180 in it. The electric power steering is great. Turning circle is good brakes are fine. The automatic parking I hate. Head lights for me are piss poor halogens and no options.

Drivers seat comfortable and good support , the others I don't know or care I don't sit in them, boot space fits my golf clubs so that is ok. The cabin noise quite low

ride comfort is perfect for spirited driving, my Mrs. says it is not as smooth as her CRV . I disagree it is quieter smoother and steers better. Any way I bought the car for me f------- any one else.

Pleased that you like it...yes it has many +'s.

After having a second demo in both the Focus and the RS Civic, Mrs J confirmed that the RS is way first choice. Delivery is Friday week.

At least it will keep her out of the EV which is a huge plus ...

It surprising how one's opinion can change the second time ...mine ... Mrs J was up for the RS before she had even completed the first test drive...

On 2/22/2017 at 7:05 PM, JoeW said:

Ford never really was popular for their passenger cars in Thailand I think, but their pickups and SUVs didn't do too poorly.

Here in Isaan, there are still a quite a lot of old rangers driving around and we see a lot of newer rangers too. 

It takes time to change the mindset of people, but if MG can do for Thai people then Ford should be able to do it too I think :)

Hmmmmmmm, Morris Garages........:whistling:

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

After having a second demo in both the Focus and the RS Civic, Mrs J confirmed that the RS is way first choice. Delivery is Friday week.

It surprising how one's opinion can change the second time ...mine ... Mrs J was up for the RS before she had even completed the first test drive...

I have been lucky so far. My wife was busy car shopping for a week or so. She hasn't mentioned a new car for at least a week now. I'm certainly not going to remind her. She has been driving the Isuzu a lot more often lately. Maybe she does understand that we don't really need a new car.

16 hours ago, Gary A said:

I have been lucky so far. My wife was busy car shopping for a week or so. She hasn't mentioned a new car for at least a week now. I'm certainly not going to remind her. She has been driving the Isuzu a lot more often lately. Maybe she does understand that we don't really need a new car.

lol

my civic is 13 years old (swift is 4), but my wife says we don't need a new car yet. Actually we only need one, as she has a driver for her job. I'd love a new car actually :)

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

lol

my civic is 13 years old (swift is 4), but my wife says we don't need a new car yet. Actually we only need one, as she has a driver for her job. I'd love a new car actually :)

Well just go and buy one ... if she says anything just say ... sorry mis-understand

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

She doesn't even like to sit in a new car at the Show. Damn hillbilly lol

I look at it this way ...Her Lantis is now 20 years old ...still in great condition but I know that if she is unfortunate enough to meet anything then I might be needing another ... and I don't want that. 

She should be much safer in the 6 air bag RS Civic and the other + is it will keep her out of the EV!!

My wife works and farms. Every baht she gets her hands on is used to buy more farmland. Over the years she has accumulated more than 65 rai. She always says that when she gets a mortgage paid off, she won't buy any more land. She forgets what she said. She always manages to find just one more piece of land and heads for the bank to borrow more money.

Anyways, she wanted a new Pajero. I put an 800,000 baht limit on what I would pay for a new vehicle. I told her that if she wants a 1.4 million baht vehicle, she should sell a piece of her land. She was horrified and told me that her land was much more important that any vehicle. She is no longer talking about a new car.

^^^ Same with me when I mentioned buying the Teana. "But we have the NV'   'The Teana is nicer car'   'But we get in the car, drive somewhere, get out ... it's the same'   Did not want to spend the $$$  Happy now - altho' when I mentioned the new Fortuner ... !!!

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

I look at it this way ...Her Lantis is now 20 years old ...still in great condition but I know that if she is unfortunate enough to meet anything then I might be needing another ... and I don't want that. 

She should be much safer in the 6 air bag RS Civic and the other + is it will keep her out of the EV!!

Yeah I agree...I'm waiting to see the new accord and camry. The crv doesn't look bad but may not satisfy my need for speed. The civic hatchback looks good and would be my choice at this time. 

22 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

^^^ Same with me when I mentioned buying the Teana. "But we have the NV'   'The Teana is nicer car'   'But we get in the car, drive somewhere, get out ... it's the same'   Did not want to spend the $$$  Happy now - altho' when I mentioned the new Fortuner ... !!!

Same as my wife. She doesn't care much about face despite being a high ranking government official.....she does want a comfortable car when she retires though....which sounds like I won't be driving it very much, as I will still be working!

On 3/15/2017 at 0:23 PM, JAS21 said:

Congrats. I've had both the Focus (2.0, 2012) and I now have a Civic RS. The Focus was good, but the Civic is better IMO. She'll love the RS.