Undocumented Thais in US fear new crackdown

webfact

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Would there really be a lot of illegal Thai's in the US? Are they competing with Mexican gardeners and pool cleaners?

No, they don't compete with the Mexicans.  They usually work inside (restaurants, beauty shops, Asian food stores, etc.) and with each other because of their limited English skills.

As long as they don't get arrested, nobody will bother them.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think anyone is debating whether undocumented persons are breaking the law by staying in the U.S. illegally. Of course they are.

It's more about the hypocrisy. Huge industries greatly depend on the labor of these undocumented persons. They are an overall economic benefit. 

So cracking down on them is rather schizophrenic as long as there isn't a system (which there isn't) to legalize many more of the same people that are undocumented. 

The dark truth is they wouldn't be as much of an economic benefit if they were legalized. Higher wages, higher grocery costs, higher restaurant costs, the social security they pay would go into their accounts, etc. 

So my point is that any immigration policies are going to messy and far from perfect, but it's totally obvious that border security, "extreme vetting", and mass deportations don't really provide the ideal benefit to the USA. Some of that, yes, but COMBINED with rational immigration reform and paths to legalization even for undocumented persons. 

Unless you've owned a business in the U.S., you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Most of the illegals, we dealt with in our business did not want to stay in the U.S. for the rest of their lives.  They just wanted to make their fortune, send it to their family, and move back home.

The Mexican workers could get fake legal papers (social security number, driver's license, etc.) in a few hours.  The Thais preferred to work 'under the table' (for cash) because they didn't have access to good identification papers.

Kicking out the 'bad' illegals won't have any economic impact.  Your exaggerations are hilarious!

7 hours ago, Srikcir said:

As with other Trump orders, the message is confusing. Some congressmen/border patrol are saying that any undocumented alien in the US is a criminal - period. A misdemeanor such as a parking ticket is no less than a more serious criminal offense for the purposes of deportation. So there are no "good guys" among undocumented aliens.

On the other hand some congressmen/border patrol consider only those undocumented aliens convicted of serious criminal crimes like theft, harm and drug dealing are the "bad guys" to be deported.

What is missing is a comprehensive immigration policy that the Republican Congressmen have largley resisted, despite some of their own leadership efforts to pass legislation.

In the interim Obama's policies could be continued (especially as Trump is essentialy using them, albeit with greater bombastic pronouncements), while Congress formulates a comprehensive policy. But Trump cannot allow such direction as it plays against his theme of imminent danger caused by undocumented aliens to American security.

Undocumented aliens ARE criminals ie they're in the country illegally. Exactly the same as here. Doesn't matter if they commit further crimes or not. Can't see your argument.

I'd expect the same treatment here if my docs weren't up to date.

While I am cmpletely opposed to Donald Trump and his administration- the US Immigration enforcement are making targeted raids actually looking for illegals and legal alien who have murdered; raped; been imprisoned for felonies etc.  Prior to release from prison-  Immigration holds should have been made or when a person was picked up and convicted of a felony- immigration should have been notified. They were not because the police either din't care or simply had no time to file the paperwork.

When a raid takes place today- if Immigration finds that there is simply a person who has overstayed his Visa- they are picked up. It's just happenstance because they are not the actual targets.  As long as a person is not arrested- the police are not going to stop anyone and ask for your passport and visa. Most Thais who are illegal do not work in the same occupations as the Hispanic illegals and do not have 'fake' ID cards which is actually a felony and a deportable offense.

There are 11 million illegals in the Us- mostly working as construction laborers; in processing plants; farmhands- doing minimum wage jobs or below that Americans will not do. If Trump deported all these people- the US economy would most likely go into a deep recession and the US would have to import much more food with higher prices.  The people who own the big farms; big business and other industries that use these workers will scream so loud you can hear it in Thailand.  The Us Congress has to come up with an Immigration policy that works for everyone and provide an amnesty for those already in America.

Trump and his minions know damn well they can't deport all these people- 

Edited by Thaidream

Actually, the laws in the US are much harsher than Thailand. If you are picked up and deported you are automatically blacklisted for a period of time and cannot even apply for a Visa to return. The only way you can come back is to cross the border illegally- done sometimes by using paid agents wo exploit the migrants The simple fact is that 90% of all illegals in the US are hardworking' poor people coming from 3rd World countries working in industries that cannot find enough Americans to do these jobs. Building a wall will not stop them. If Trump is truly interested in solving the Immigration issue he should stop politicising it and causing fear amongst Americans who do not understand the issue.

The Us government needs to have an Immigration program that legalizes foreign needed labor and provides work permits. Once this is done the flow across the border will stop because the majority will come in as legal aliens.

ONce this occurs- the US Border Control can use technology and intelligence targeting those aliens who would come to do harm or potential terrorism.Co-operating with foreign government like Mexico and providing assistance instead of confrontation will make US citizens and residents safer- not the nonsense Donald Trump and his minions are spouting.

23 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

While I am cmpletely opposed to Donald Trump and his administration- the US Immigration enforcement are making targeted raids actually looking for illegals and legal alien who have murdered; raped; been imprisoned for felonies etc.  Prior to release from prison-  Immigration holds should have been made or when a person was picked up and convicted of a felony- immigration should have been notified. They were not because the police either din't care or simply had no time to file the paperwork.

When a raid takes place today- if Immigration finds that there is simply a person who has overstayed his Visa- they are picked up. It's just happenstance because they are not the actual targets.  As long as a person is not arrested- the police are not going to stop anyone and ask for your passport and visa. Most Thais who are illegal do not work in the same occupations as the Hispanic illegals and do not have 'fake' ID cards which is actually a felony and a deportable offense.

There are 11 million illegals in the Us- mostly working as construction laborers; in processing plants; farmhands- doing minimum wage jobs or below that Americans will not do. If Trump deported all these people- the US economy would most likely go into a deep recession and the US would have to import much more food with higher prices.  The people who own the big farms; big business and other industries that use these workers will scream so loud you can hear it in Thailand.  The Us Congress has to come up with an Immigration policy that works for everyone and provide an amnesty for those already in America.

Trump and his minions know damn well they can't deport all these people- 

Most 'illegal' Thais are unskilled and lazy, compared to the Mexicans.

Business owners are more in fear of the IRS than ICE.  The IRS has heuristics for just about any type of business.  They can tell if a business owner doesn't have an appropriate ratio of 'legal employees' (payroll taxes, etc.) to business revenue.  

However, I'm not sure how much information the IRS feeds to ICE.  I think ICE goes after the big numbers for their raids.

24 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Actually, the laws in the US are much harsher than Thailand. If you are picked up and deported you are automatically blacklisted for a period of time and cannot even apply for a Visa to return. The only way you can come back is to cross the border illegally- done sometimes by using paid agents wo exploit the migrants The simple fact is that 90% of all illegals in the US are hardworking' poor people coming from 3rd World countries working in industries that cannot find enough Americans to do these jobs. Building a wall will not stop them. If Trump is truly interested in solving the Immigration issue he should stop politicising it and causing fear amongst Americans who do not understand the issue.

The Us government needs to have an Immigration program that legalizes foreign needed labor and provides work permits. Once this is done the flow across the border will stop because the majority will come in as legal aliens.

ONce this occurs- the US Border Control can use technology and intelligence targeting those aliens who would come to do harm or potential terrorism.Co-operating with foreign government like Mexico and providing assistance instead of confrontation will make US citizens and residents safer- not the nonsense Donald Trump and his minions are spouting.

The U.S. already has a work visa program. I know of many restaurants that use that program.  The one's that don't, do not want to pay fair wages and the working conditions are quite poor. 

10 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

I am wondering.... will the Thai Immy crack down on foreigners here in Thailand because they think Americans are being unfair to their brothers and sisters in the USA? Or, will they realize that what goes around comes around? 

Finally the west is waking up. I hope Canada gets rid of Trudeau... the jack arse has decided not to crak down on people jumping the border from the US to Canada... 

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/970038-canada-pm-will-not-halt-illegal-border-crossing-despite-opposition/

So, what he is saying is, "Come and suck our resources, screw my electors"

(Sorry for going a bit off topic... just need to let some anger out!!!)

:)

a79587336732556e8041bad6fda7016d972315375b2a0c735d3f97946d949daa.jpg

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

They fear there will be no somtam when they are sent to Mexico.

I was working in S. California years ago for a few months & would drive down to Old Mexico (San Felipe) on the weekends for something to do.

First time there, I got a bowl of tortilla chips & salsa with my beer at a bar.

A Thai would have LOVED that stuff!  I grabbed a big old scoop of salsa & almost died!  Rather spicy to say the least.

There is actually a decent amount of Thai organized criminal activity happening in the USA. I think it was in Wikileaks where I read about it. Obviously, human trafficking being one of the biggest illegal activities they are involved in. 

11 minutes ago, dcnx said:

There is actually a decent amount of Thai organized criminal activity happening in the USA. I think it was in Wikileaks where I read about it. Obviously, human trafficking being one of the biggest illegal activities they are involved in. 

Yeah and you won't find many people objecting to cracking down on such criminal activity. 

Thai restaurant workers ... not so much.

12 hours ago, trogers said:

Trump is just following Thailand's Good guys in, Bad guys out...

No Trump is blaming poor working class immigrants for the ills and screw ups of rampant neo-liberalism. Funny how the real people that cause the problems in American and around the world aren't be vilified and checked...

Please do like thailand does....catch these thais in the US and sentence to prison term first and then fine them and after they have served their sentence, transfer them to inhumane conditions to a Immigration detention centre and only allow them to leave the country after they can pay their own airtickets and the ban them for life. Period! No compassion please! And also, confisticate all their hard-earned monies, valuables, assets.

14 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Please do like thailand does....catch these thais in the US and sentence to prison term first and then fine them and after they have served their sentence, transfer them to inhumane conditions to a Immigration detention centre and only allow them to leave the country after they can pay their own airtickets and the ban them for life. Period! No compassion please! And also, confisticate all their hard-earned monies, valuables, assets.

Careful anotheruser is going to send you his hate selfieeeeee

All this BS about the Immigration problem in the US is just playing to the base. Don't go after the illegal immigrants, go after the predominantly Republicans that hire them....

Like Thailand, the US "enforcers" go for the low hanging fruit. BIB go after the motorcycles, and ICE goes after the illegals

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Two wrongs don't make a right.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think most decent Americans are terribly embarrassed that we have elected a white supremacist demagogic authoritarian as our president. Even though most Americans didn't vote for him, it's still something to be ashamed about. 

Ah yes, the racist argument. Let's do a little gap fill exercise. 

According to governmental data, the (1) __________administration has deported more people than any other president's administration in history.

In fact, they have deported more than the sum of all the presidents of the 20th century.

President (2) ____________ administration deported just over two million during his time in office; and (3)  _________numbers don’t reflect his last year in office, for which data is not yet available.

Answers:

1. Obama

2. George W Bush's

3. Obama's

That racist Obama. How dare he actually enforce US law. Hmm, maybe Trump isn't a racist. Maybe he is actually making sure US laws are enforced. 

Source:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obamas-deportation-policy-numbers/story?id=41715661

More on the hypocrisy from the MSM.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444999/trump-deportation-policy-obama-legal-illegal-immigration

Good!  Deport them all.  "Good guys in; Bad guys out!" 

Let's see, gotta do my 90 day report tomorrow.  Let me work on my empathy for these law breaker while I'm filling out the form.  Boo hoo. :sleep:

11 hours ago, kowpot said:

I don't think 100,000 even comes close to the real number of undocumented Thais in the U.S.

Probably that many in the Los Angeles area alone. 

Probably that many in North Hollywood alone.