Whitewash

cooked

I just realised that I have never seen builders' lime in the warehouses here, or not that I have noticed. We will be cleaning up the chicken house (previously rice storage) soon and I assumed that I could finish with whitewash, made with builders lime (Ca (OH)2.

Any reason why this is a bad idea in Thailand, apparently, I used it all the time in Switzerland.

Thaiwatsadu no have anyway.

interesting topic, especially the antibacterial properties.

Don't know why it is unavailable here, wifey doesn't know of it and being so cheap I'm surprised it's not sold. Maybe another poster knows where to get it.

Paint is so expensive here.

Again in our big dairying area we have lot of lime for sale ,farmer use it for its  antibacterial  properties in the cattle sheds  to help prevent  mastitis,  and to put down in the  drive way  of houses  at times of  foot and mouth  outbreak ,not a lot of use ,but it keeps them  happy , a 5 kg bag is about  20 baht .

If you have  an dairy  cow area near you  they should have some .

8 hours ago, kickstart said:

Again in our big dairying area we have lot of lime for sale ,farmer use it for its  antibacterial  properties in the cattle sheds  to help prevent  mastitis,  and to put down in the  drive way  of houses  at times of  foot and mouth  outbreak ,not a lot of use ,but it keeps them  happy , a 5 kg bag is about  20 baht .

If you have  an dairy  cow area near you  they should have some .

So in Thai, what is it called?

• 5 months later...

Just to let anyone know that's interested, that "Whitewash" - Calcium Hydroxide - is a available in our small village store. I was looking for it at the builders' stores, wrong place.

฿70.- for one sack, 10Kg, in Switzerland Ca(OH)2 is much cheaper than cement....this works out at 3 1/2 times more expensive than cement which is why they don't use it when making mortar.

We had a dead ducks problem yesterday, since then find out that the neighbour lost ALL his fighting cocks and didn't bother to tell anyone, same thing in a neighbouring village. Bought a sack this morning and scattered it on the ground as per instructions  from the missus, will buy more tomorrow and complete the job.

photo.JPG

Archived