Moral Question

Swelters

The police are tipped off that a dangerous wanted killer is drinking with companions at a roadside bar. Taking no chances, they run into the place and gun him down.

When the smoke clears it becomes apparent that they shot the wrong man.

What do you think about this incident, especially about the fate of the guy who is killed. Does your Thai friend see it the same way?

This makes me think that any of us can die at any moment so if you've been thinking about putting some effort into following the Path its probably best that you get yo' a55 in gear and start doing it because you might not have alot of time left to follow it.

I have not idea what my Thai friends would think about this....and for that matter I have no idea what my fellow farangs would think about this either.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

In Buddhism (in my opinion), the fate of the guy who was killed would simply come down to Bad Karma. The police obviously were acting through an intent to kill, it doesnt matter who (although killing a saint is karmically worse than killing a sinner, but note: if he was a saint, they had no intention of killing HIM so it is not so bad), and they did kill. So they incur a hefty dose of bad karma. Buddhism says that over a series of lifetimes, the karmic scales balance (karmic justice). Thats why Thais do lots of merit making (donations, etc) at the temples - to help balance the scales or to tip them in their favour.

However its best to take the precepts to heart and live with them. Then you will generate no serious karmic debts.

When understanding is rudimentary, there will be all kinds of concerns about what is right and wrong, what should and shouldn't be. The case in point is a temporal concern, and anyone seriously travelling any spiritual path should view temporal concerns with the healthy dose of (benevolent) contempt they deserve.

in reality, everyone just follows their own nature. Causal necessity dictates evrything, which is kamma in the broadest sense.

The Op asks if "your thai friend sees it in the same way"? A naive question to say the least, no two people see anything in the same way.

cheers

dm