'Moonlight' wins award as best picture after Oscar flub

webfact

'Moonlight' wins award as best picture after Oscar flub

REUTERS

r15.jpg

89th Academy Awards - Oscars Awards Show - Producer Jordon Horowitz holds up the card for the Best Picture winner Moonlight. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Moonlight," a drama about a gay black youth coming to terms with his sexuality in an impoverished Miami neighborhood, received the Oscar for best picture on Sunday after a stunning, unprecedented flub in which presenters erroneously announced the musical "La La Land" as the winner.

The cast and creative team for "La La Land" had already taken the stage to begin delivering acceptance speeches when one of the producers interrupted the proceedings to say that the award had been given to the wrong movie, and that "Moonlight" was the real victor. He then held up the envelope to the camera to prove it was true.

Veteran actor-direct Warren Beatty tried to explain that he and Faye Dunaway announced the wrong winner because the envelope they had been handed bore incorrectly the name of best actress winner, Emma Stone, and the movie title "La La Land."

Host Jimmy Kimmel joked after the snafu, "I knew I would screw this show up. I really did."

(Reporting by Steve Gorman; Editing by Sandra Maler and Mary Milliken)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-27

Just now, little mary sunshine said:

Sooo do you really think this gathering of jokers and

entertainers stand a chance of influencing anyones

political decisions....I think NOT!!!

Well they have a LOT more influence than you stomping on your keyboard on TV !

Why even bring that in to this forum? They are entertainers, that is their job. Have you ever watched a movie or TV program and enjoyed it? They are just normal people doing a job and have every right to make comment on politics exactly the same as you do. The fact that you only have 2 people to listen to you in the pub and they have 50 million to listen to them is neither here nor there, it is down to your chosen profession. Get over yourself. People can choose to listen to their ideas or not, simple.

1 minute ago, Andaman Al said:

Well they have a LOT more influence than you stomping on your keyboard on TV !

Why even bring that in to this forum? They are entertainers, that is their job. Have you ever watched a movie or TV program and enjoyed it? They are just normal people doing a job and have every right to make comment on politics exactly the same as you do. The fact that you only have 2 people to listen to you in the pub and they have 50 million to listen to them is neither here nor there, it is down to your chosen profession. Get over yourself. People can choose to listen to their ideas or not, simple.

Just bilking the phony motion picture industry, not a lot of brains

or talent seen or required today....anyone that is influenced by these

ordinary people have little or no ability to,think for themselves.

4 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Works for me.....and I can think for myself.....

3 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

People who write off the whole industry have mostly not been to a movie theatre for over 40 years and/or whose range of movies seen is mostly confined to a narrow range. They could could of course be just theatre goers but somehow I doubt that here.

8 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

This film "Moonlight" and "Manchester by the Sea" , are my two favourite movies so far this year..........

Both a must See....

agree, MBTS clinched it for me but moonlight a worthy winner and better than la la land which was pretty average in comparison, i thought Ryan Gosling was awful, he can barely sing and cant dance, just look at his core when he moves, stiff as a board. thought the opening scene was good though.

15 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Sooo do you really think this gathering of jokers and

entertainers stand a chance of influencing anyones

political decisions....I think NOT!!!

I remember thinking at the time that if I had been a resident of California no way would I have voted against The Terminator when Arnie ran for Governor.

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

People who write off the whole industry have mostly not been to a movie theatre for over 40 years and/or whose range of movies seen is mostly confined to a narrow range. They could could of course be just theatre goers but somehow I doubt that here.

I am a movie goer;  whenever there is something

decent, that I like!

17 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

What about anybody influenced by you? Or do you imagine that you are somehow extraordinary?

Just watched Moonlight. It shouldn't have been on the nomination list. Quite bad. Terrible racial stereotyping that would have been reviled if it was made by whites. Bland, unintelligible dialogue. No original ideas. Absurd story in which a pre-pubescent kid is identified as gay - mainly to push the agenda of discrimination.  Fine for what it is, which is a sullen and bitter art-house film.

Clearly the Academy chose it for their own PR agenda - to show there is no white bias in the industry after last year's roasting. For political reasons, it would be impossible for them to choose La La Land, a frivolous song-and-dance film about privileged white folk, over any serious film about black folk.

We've always known that the Oscars were all about the industry making itself look good, but evidently the PC era isn't over yet.