Internet in Laos - and burning season?

Jaymk

Hi there,

Live in Chiang Mai, but thinking of escaping during burning season. Would love to go to Laos as I have to do a visa run anyway, but not sure if they have their own burning season going on. Can anyone advise? Also what's the internet like in general? I work remotely and need a decent connection, so curious to hear about quality in Vientiene, Van Vieng, and Luang Prabang.

Also, does anyone know if there's a rental outfit that allows you to rent a motorbike in VT and drop off in LP ?

Many thanks!

Hi Jaymk

I live in Nong Khiaw, Luang Prabang province (140km NE of LP) and I can confirm that the slash-n-burn season March and April is as bad if not worse than in Chiang Mai. It seems to have started earlier this year -we have had hazy days for the past few weeks. Not as bad as last year yet (ash falling) but may well come later.

If you want to escape the smog, I would suggest anywhere from Vang Vieng southwards.

Its been a few years since I left TH to live in Laos, so with regards to the internet comparison I am not up to date. However, the internet in general here is good solid 3G. If you live in the countryside in Laos, you have to get used to power cuts and the odd total internet cut, especially in the rainy season. In the big towns and cities like LP, VV and VTE obviously less so. I use Lao Telecom for the an ADSL connection for my business - 2mb down / 1mb up annual price of 2.2million Kip unlimited (includes free new router and set up). I am generally happy with them. Unitel is another telcom (Vietnamese) present throughout Laos - with a solid, quick internet connection (they use fibre for all local access lines)...however I stopped using them becuase their customer service was atrocious and they don't speak a word of English.

In addition, a Lao Telecom (M-Phone) dongle is great...approx 200,000 Kip for the dongle, and 250,000 Kip for 30gig. For the accompanying mobile wifi router will set you back another 300,000 Kip.

Hope that helps..best of luck!