Bangkok murder suspect Artur Segarra claims he was framed by Thai woman

webfact

Bangkok murder suspect Artur Segarra claims he was framed by Thai woman

as1.jpg

Artur Segarra. Image source: Internet

BANGKOK: -- Artur Segarra, the Spanish national, accused of murdering compatriot David Bernat in Bangkok in 2016 has denied all charges against him and reiterated his innocence in the final hearing of his trial held at a Bangkok court on Tuesday.

Segarra told the court that while he had been out drinking with Bernat on January 19 2016, the day the victim was last seen alive, he said he returned alone and added that he believes he was framed by Bernat's Thai girlfriend, who he said was a prostitute.

However, Thai police say that after Segarra and Bernat had been out drinking, they returned to the victim’s rented apartment on Rama IX Avenue, which is where victim was murdered.

During the trial, Thai police had previously said that CCTV cameras in the building had not been working, which is why the only footage they have of Segarra is of him and Barnat arriving at the apartment on Segarra's bike.

But Segarra claimed it was not him in the footage and said the cameras specifically in the entrance of the building, the corridor and lift were in fact working.

Segarra also told the court that businessman Bernat liked "parties, drugs, and girls" and that he was a regular client of Pritsana Saen-ubon, who would become his girlfriend.

Segarra also said Pritsana set him up for Bernat's murder.

Explaining why money from Bernat's bank account was transferred into his bank account, Segarra said that she had asked him for his account number and told him about five separate sums that had been transferred into his account.

While he admitted that he had gone to an ATM to withdraw the money, he said he did so only to see where the money had come from.

Police say Segarra kidnapped Bernat in order to extort money from him and that he was held captive between January 20 and 26, 2016. He then murdered Barnet, before dismembering his body and dumping the parts at various points along the Chao Phraya river.

However, Segarra claimed he spent January 21 and the morning of January 22 in the company of Pritsana at her apartment.

But in a previous statement from Pritsana, she said Segarra told her to stay with a friend as a Spanish friend was due to visit him.

He also denied purchasing the saw that was used to dismember the victim's body.

Police say that DNA evidence, fingerprints and CCTV footage is overwhelming and proves Segarra is guilty of all 13 charges against him.

If found guilty of the murder, Segarra could face the death penalty.

Sentencing has been set for April 21.

Via: La Opinion, El Mundo

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-01

Bizarrely the verdict has not yet been pronounced but "Sentencing is set for April 21!" Looks like z42's post is on the money.

Also

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police say that DNA evidence, fingerprints and CCTV footage is overwhelming and proves Segarra is guilty of all 13 charges against him.

I think we have been here before.

44 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

His story seems to be full of holes but that could be the reporting/translation.

Too bad we'll probably never hear any more about it and probably never learn what the outcome was. 

Why you say " too bad we'll probably never hear any more about it" ?

For me personally, I have very little faith in the Thai Police... and because of this, I find it hard to believe them

So guilty or not, I will always be doubtful, because the information and facts are coming from them.

Mix that with the xenophobia, its a tough thing to believe anything that they say....

" While he admitted that he had gone to an ATM to withdraw the money, he said he did so only to see where the money had come from. "

Did he expect the money to have a return address on it? Did he think he would get the same bills she put in? :ph34r:

If his idiotic smile and ridiculous tattoo is anything to go by, I wouldn't rule out murder for this Spanish nutter.  Police should do some background checks on what this nutter was doing in his home country. Too young to retire. Interesting to find out how he is supporting himself  in Thailand

Edited by riverhigh
additional information

Put it this way, if he was to stand up and say Yes, I did it, that would be a first

for every criminal out there, of course he's going to deny, deny, and deny again,

that what accessed do....

Taking out money from the ATM to see where they came from. You don't find that out by taking out the cash. Seems like he has too much knowledge of everything for this to be true. Guilty as charged by the keyboard detectives.:ph34r:

2 hours ago, z42 said:

Maybe he is guilty as charged, but it seems nothing is going tyo get in the way of the railroading process.. Investigations are done and dusted and the girlfriend is off the radar completely it seems

The most common denominator of psychopath's is that they think they can lie their way out of anything.

As to the GF , its a bit of a mystery but there may have been involvement concerning money, I'm sure she has helped the police heaps with the investigation.

I wonder what has happened to the recovered cash, she may have been of good assistance to the BIB with that as well.  :passifier:

"Thai police had previously said that CCTV cameras in the building had not been working, which is why the only footage they have of Segarra is of him and Barnat arriving at the apartment on Segarra's bike."

It seems to me that anytime there may be CCTV footage that does not corroborate the BIB's version of events, the cameras are not working.

2 hours ago, thhMan said:

For me personally, I have very little faith in the Thai Police... and because of this, I find it hard to believe them

So guilty or not, I will always be doubtful, because the information and facts are coming from them.

Mix that with the xenophobia, its a tough thing to believe anything that they say....

I do not know if his story is true or if he is guilty but many things remind me on the infamous Ko Tao case. CCTV nit working (no need to check if he speaks the truth)

Police say evidence is overwhelming, He insists on being not guilty...

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Put it this way, if he was to stand up and say Yes, I did it, that would be a first

for every criminal out there, of course he's going to deny, deny, and deny again,

I'm actually astounded by how many of them in Thailand fess up to the crime they're accused of, and a bunch of others in the past.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Nonsense, people go guilty all the time here and especially on murder.  Its the difference between life imprisonment and being given a straight death sentence.  If you were banged to rights you would go guilty and try and hang on in for a kings pardon at some point, unless you were just plain mental or none too smart. 

32 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm actually astounded by how many of them in Thailand fess up to the crime they're accused of, and a bunch of others in the past.

Human nation clearing the slate. Conscience comes to the forefront. Once the dam of confession is open it becomes a roaring river. Who wants to become a cockroach in the next life?

3 hours ago, riverhigh said:

If his idiotic smile and ridiculous tattoo is anything to go by, I wouldn't rule out murder for this Spanish nutter.  Police should do some background checks on what this nutter was doing in his home country. Too young to retire. Interesting to find out how he is supporting himself  in Thailand

A walking work of art. 

How was the money transferred into his account from that if the deceased I assume? Can the transfer slips be traced or if by Internet then how did the transferor gain access- I am sure the Thai g/f would not have access so explanations required but extortion us one answer

5 hours ago, riverhigh said:

Like it ! Me & u must be the only expats in Thailand without a tattoo these days 

back home the now men from school with them were either the scummy boys at school or the weedy ones that no one liked & got picked on 

which then grew to a chip on there shoulder 

so they had these to now to try to look like tough guys in later life 

that coupled with some trashy bling & gold

or if here cheap trashy yellow thai gold with a tuk tuk drivers neck chain / thai thing some of you expats feel the need to wear thrown in 

oh and if under 25 talk like a east end black gangster too 

or years gone by X navy that were as above or Gay or both 

do do us a favour lads stay in pattaya 

I came 7000 miles to get away from trailer trash 

why is he smiling so much rather odd 

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

He is clutching at straws,I mean which Thai woman would transfer

a lot of money into someone else's account,if they did not have to.

regards worgeordie

Quite obviously he's clutching at straws

accussing a Thai... a flimsy straw to clutch at... we all know a Thai (hooker) would never have been able to commit such a heinous crime.