Advice Regarding Re-Entry Permit Date

Yesterday I went with my company's agent to CW immigration to renew my extension of stay based on work, note that the existing extension of stay was valid until 28th March 2017, as was the last multiple re-entry permit.

As expected immigration stamped that the application for the extension of stay was under consideration and the return date is 29th March 2017.

The agent asked 2 different immigration officers (the one that handled the application and her boss who was checking / approving this initially) if there was a need to get a new re-entry permit or not, both replied that there was no need so long as I reentered Thailand before 28th March 2017.

I queried if this was indeed correct, as if I depart Thailand, upon return the IO at the airport would allow and stamp me in until 28th March 2017 and the next appointment at CW is 29th March 2017, both said yes, why not!

Now to my mind this is not correct, as technically when I go back to immigration on 29th March 2017, then I'm already on one day's overstay, even if the date on the consideration stamp says that I can remain in Thailand up to 29th March 2017, as this would be negated by the re-entry permit date of 28th March 2017?

I really do not want to take a chance here, as it could possibly jeopardise the original non O B visa from 2004 and mean starting from scratch, I wanted to get another re-entry permit, however, the agent was just not going to after the IO's had told her there was no need.................

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

I think immigration gave you incorrect information. A new re-entry permit for the under consideration period should be obtained if you need to travel during the the 30 days.

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay in the country until your extension is approved. The date on the stamp is just the date to report back not the date the under consideration period ends.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think immigration gave you incorrect information. A new re-entry permit for the under consideration period should be obtained if you need to travel during the the 30 days.

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay in the country until your extension is approved. The date on the stamp is just the date to report back not the date the under consideration period ends.

Surely his current extension is valid until 28th March and his re entry permit is linked to that and still valid.

Joe, thanks and I agree 100%, will try talking to my boss today and see if he can't just tell the agent to get a new re-entry permit, the agent basically was not going to yesterday, as she believed the IO's.

My other option is to just not travel, or worse case, get a new re-entry permit when departing either airport here in Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Surely his current extension is valid until 28th March and his re entry permit is linked to that and still valid.

I understand what you mean, but what will happen is the IO at the airport will stamp me up to 28th March, as that is the expiry date of the re-entry permit as it stands now, so technically on the 29th I should not be here!

Joe's advice is correct I think, there should be a new re-entry permit linked to the new date.

His current extension is the "under-consideration" stamp and therefore, the re-entry stamp linked to the previous extension is not valid anymore. This I learned from Jomtien IO.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

3 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

His current extension is the "under-consideration" stamp and therefore, the re-entry stamp linked to the previous extension is not valid anymore. This I learned from Jomtien IO.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes, this is exactly how I understand it to be, the last re-entry permit was linked to the last extension of stay and therefore invalid, tried explaining this to them all yesterday, but it would have been far easier to draw teeth, was a typical 'what does the Farang know situation' I'm afraid!

Probably just easier for me to get a re-entry permit from an airport if I do have to depart, help ones self!!

Actually, whilst on the subject of getting a re-entry permit at an airport, having never done this in the past, then roughly how long does it take to get one at an airport (understand there could be a unknown queue length) so that I can factor in the required length of time plus plus.

47 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Actually, whilst on the subject of getting a re-entry permit at an airport, having never done this in the past, then roughly how long does it take to get one at an airport (understand there could be a unknown queue length) so that I can factor in the required length of time plus plus.

I have done it three times at Suvarnabhumi. On one of those occasions, I had a new passport (so needed to transfer stamps) in addition to the re-entry permit, and it took about 45 minutes on that occasion. The other two times, it was all done in less than 15 minutes. Maybe, I have been lucky, but I think they recognize the importance of efficient service for people needing to catch flights.

The CW IO's are correct.

If you were returning on or after March 29th you'd need a new re-entry permit, but as you're returning before the current permit expires you don't.

You will be stamped back in until March 28th under the existing valid re-entry permit. When you go to immigration on March 29th they will grant you a new 1 year permit to stay with day 1 being the 29th.

If you don't leave the country you're permission to stay expires on the 28th. If you do leave the country and re-enter with a re-entity permit it also expires on the 28th. There is no difference. The 29th is covered by the under consideration stamp.

The re-entry permit remains valid for use up to and including March 28th even with a new application being under consideration.

I think you'll get the same answer at the airport.

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The CW IO's are correct.

If you were returning on or after March 29th you'd need a new re-entry permit, but as you're returning before the current permit expires you don't.

You will be stamped back in until March 28th under the existing valid re-entry permit. When you go to immigration on March 29th they will grant you a new 1 year permit to stay with day 1 being the 29th.

If you don't leave the country you're permission to stay expires on the 28th. If you do leave the country and re-enter with a re-entity permit it also expires on the 28th. There is no difference. The 29th is covered by the under consideration stamp.

The re-entry permit remains valid for use up to and including March 28th even with a new application being under consideration.

I think you'll get the same answer at the airport.

Interesting, thanks for this, maybe I'll ask at the airport re-entry desk if I do have to depart between now and the 29th, that part is not sure as yet, a distinct possibility though.