Suits/Tailors

Aland

Ive just returned to the states from Thailand, I was in the northeast for 4 months with a quick trip down to Phuket. Literally, as I was driving home from the airport, I had a friend ask about getting some suits made and sent  to him here in the states. I seem to recall seeing signs before that claim tailor shops will make a suit and mail/fedex it to your home address. My question is, can anyone recommend a good tailor that one can send him measurements, have a suit made and have it posted outside of Thailand? 

I have used Bangkok Tailors House (in MBK) ever since I moved to Thailand eight years ago. In at least half a dozen visits there, I've only had a minor issue with a shirt once. Every other suit and shirt they've made for me has been excellent. Fair warning: I've never sent them measurements to have a suit made. It's far better to visit the shop, as measurements can vary based on a large number of factors. When I had to attend a wedding back in the U.S., I sent my measurements only to discover that the suit that was waiting for me did not fit at all.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:03 PM, Metapod said:

These guys are best.

www.tailoronten.com

They're pretty good.  Not the cheapest (suits in the 20-35k range) but you get 3 fittings and generally a helpful, professional attitude.  I doubt they'll make a suit without being able to measure you though, that's not a recipe for good work.

Tried some short-sleeved shirts at Pinkie recently and they were awful, awful.  Ridiculously tapered at the waist (like a women's dress) and sleeves way too wide.  

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have complete and accurate measurements any shop can make a suit for you. Because that is all the shops do, take measurements, cut a length of cloth and send it out to a stitch shop. All the shops mentioned above do the same, the guys that run the "Tailor shops" are not tailors they are business people brokering the suit. A real tailor actually cuts and stitches the suit. After the above mentioned shops take your measurements and cut the right number of meters of cloth it is out of their hands. By the way that pure wool fine 220 you got such a deal on is half poly and half either cotton or wool. I know I know it says Super Fine 220 right on the edge, like the watches they sell on the corner say "Rolex". There are fake watches, fake movies, fake fish sauce and no thinks they make fake fabrics????
Next time you walk into your favorite "Tailor" that does such a great job, ask to see his sewing room, or ask where the suites are actually made. You will receive a story. Also ask for a snippet of that 100% super fine wool and take out a lighter and ask for an ashtray. Get ready to hear another story. The material will melt like plastic, because it is.
Go look at http://bkkbusiness.com/?page_id=329 it will go into more details.
so yes any shop can make a suit from measurements and be sure to ask for extra material at the seams and have it fitted when your back home. If you want a blended material your overpaying for it will work out just fine.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2018 at 9:01 AM, BngkkB said:

If you have complete and accurate measurements any shop can make a suit for you. Because that is all the shops do, take measurements, cut a length of cloth and send it out to a stitch shop. All the shops mentioned above do the same, the guys that run the "Tailor shops" are not tailors they are business people brokering the suit. A real tailor actually cuts and stitches the suit. 

That's how 99% of tailors operate in Bangkok, but isn't true for Tailor On Ten. 

Tailor On Ten has their own tailors. They will literally walk you into the next room so you can see the tailors cutting your suit if you want. 

Edited by Metapod
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Metapod said:

That's how 99% of tailors operate in Bangkok, but isn't true for Tailor On Ten. 

Tailor On Ten has their own tailors. They will literally walk you into the next room so you can see the tailors cutting your suit if you want. 

Of no benefit to the OP though.

On 08/03/2017 at 5:28 AM, ChidlomDweller said:

They're pretty good.  Not the cheapest (suits in the 20-35k range) but you get 3 fittings and generally a helpful, professional attitude.  I doubt they'll make a suit without being able to measure you though, that's not a recipe for good work.

Tried some short-sleeved shirts at Pinkie recently and they were awful, awful.  Ridiculously tapered at the waist (like a women's dress) and sleeves way too wide.  

Sounds like Small arms, big belly syndrome 

Suggest some pushups, pull ups and sit-ups... Daily

It's an epidemic in thailand, probably contagious too

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of no benefit to the OP though.

Nah, still makes a big difference. Having your own in-house tailors and actually being a real tailor vs fabric salesmen that outsource to multiple different factories for work. much higher quality and consistency of construction with the first option, even if ordering online.

Tanika and Narin Couture are also legit but twice the price of Tailor On Ten for the same quality. Narin do full canvas though, so thats a big plus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this video helps to show the difference in quality between Tailor On Ten and the competition

actually having (and being) a tailor makes a pretty big difference. not going to walk into too many other places and see them cutting your suit.

Edited by Metapod