transfer visa new passport

I have a question concerning transferring a touristvisa to a new passport. Ive just received a new passport and want to transfer my tourist visa from my old to my new passport.

My visa expires in a few days, but still have an extension of an month left. Since the old passport is invalid after receiving the new one, am I able to get an extension on the tourist visa still?

If so, should  I change the visastamps into the new passport first and after apply for an extension? or should I get an extension on a tourist visa in my old, passport before transfering the stamps?

thoughts pls...

Take both passports with you when you apply for the extension and all will be sorted for you.

FYI.... They don't transfer visas they only transfer permits to stay (entry stamps). They don't usually bother with transferring, or want to transfer, tourist visa entry stamps.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

After the stamp is transferred and the person leaves the country (for example for a visa run), is it advisable to take the old passport with them? May be the the I/O at the border or at the embassy wants to see the old passport?

Last time the immigration did just tack together the two passports. Was there a special reason for that, or it's depend on the I/O?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Hi.

After the stamp is transferred and the person leaves the country (for example for a visa run), is it advisable to take the old passport with them? May be the the I/O at the border or at the embassy wants to see the old passport?

Last time the immigration did just tack together the two passports. Was there a special reason for that, or it's depend on the I/O?

Thanks.

They should not tack together the two passports together which might cause damage invalidating the new passport!

Unless you have unexpired visas or reentry permits in the old passport, there should be no need to carry it once the existing permission to stay has been transferred to the new passport.

• Like 1

Quick question regarding switching passports, I just renewed my Canadian passport but have a valid ME Non-O (Marriage) visa in the old one. I'm leaving the country next week, do I need to get anything from Immigration prior to my departure (like a stamp) or can I simply carry both passports so they can see my valid visa and stamps?

I'm not too keen on getting a new visa if I still have time remaining on the old one.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Saltycanuck said:

Quick question regarding switching passports, I just renewed my Canadian passport but have a valid ME Non-O (Marriage) visa in the old one. I'm leaving the country next week, do I need to get anything from Immigration prior to my departure (like a stamp) or can I simply carry both passports so they can see my valid visa and stamps?

I'm not too keen on getting a new visa if I still have time remaining on the old one.

Thank you.

No need to go to a immigration office.

Show both passports on departure from the country. The officer will transfer you entry to stamp from the old one to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it. Then on entry to the country you show both passports to use your non-o visa in the old one and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

• 2 months later...

Hi Ubonjoe,

A quick follow up to this old posting... I had no issues with the re-entry with the new passport, but the old Non-O visa is now expired. I just received my new WP and was wondering if I'm able to go to the Samui IMM office tomorrow and get an extension of stay based on marriage, or do I need to exit and get a new Non-O ME again?

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, Saltycanuck said:

Hi Ubonjoe,

A quick follow up to this old posting... I had no issues with the re-entry with the new passport, but the old Non-O visa is now expired. I just received my new WP and was wondering if I'm able to go to the Samui IMM office tomorrow and get an extension of stay based on marriage, or do I need to exit and get a new Non-O ME again?

Thank you.

You visa being expired will not affect anything since you will be extending the 90 day permit to stay you got from it.

• Thanks 1