Antihistamines Cyclizine and Promethazine.....where to find?

edwinchester

Cyclizine (which is not BTW an antihistamine) does not exist in Thailand, no registered brand of it

promethazine here is mainly found in cough syrups combined with other drugs. There is only one registered brand, Phenergan, but I a not sure it is any longer sold over the counter as there have been issues with teenagers abusing it to get high.

Promethazine would be a very unusual choice as an antihistamine given all the newer/better drugs, and cyclizine as mentioned is not an antihistamine at all.

Both drugs are used to manage nausea, though

If you can advise what exactly you need these for I may be able to suggest alternative drugs that are  available in Thailand

On 06/03/2017 at 11:45 PM, Sheryl said:

Cyclizine (which is not BTW an antihistamine) does not exist in Thailand, no registered brand of it

promethazine here is mainly found in cough syrups combined with other drugs. There is only one registered brand, Phenergan, but I a not sure it is any longer sold over the counter as there have been issues with teenagers abusing it to get high.

Promethazine would be a very unusual choice as an antihistamine given all the newer/better drugs, and cyclizine as mentioned is not an antihistamine at all.

Both drugs are used to manage nausea, though

If you can advise what exactly you need these for I may be able to suggest alternative drugs that are  available in Thailand

Hi and thanks for the reply.

My wife is pregnant and really suffering with morning sickness.

Here in Kanchanaburi the only 'remedies' she has been offered are Domperidone or a daily injection.

The Domperidone just doesn't work and she is against the idea of a daily anti nausea injection.

A midwife friend back in the UK suggest the antihistamines which got me wondering as to their availability in Thailand.

Vitamin B6 about 10mg a day is effective for many women.

Ginger tea (made with real ginget, not packaged powder) can also be helpful, sip through out the morning.

Try those first. The B6 takes a few days to see the effect.

If still a problem then metoclopromide (plasil is common brand name) should help and large scale study just out shows safe in pregnancy.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Vitamin B6 about 10mg a day is effective for many women.

Ginger tea (made with real ginget, not packaged powder) can also be helpful, sip through out the morning.

Try those first. The B6 takes a few days to see the effect.

If still a problem then metoclopromide (plasil is common brand name) should help and large scale study just out shows safe in pregnancy.

Thanks very much for the suggestions Sheryl.

My wife has been on B6 for a while now and has already tried ginger tea with no relief.

Visiting town tomorrow so will definitely look out for some metoclopromide.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to offer your help.