Macbook Air 11" with 8GB Ram

tfc

First off excuse my ignorance regarding Apple computers as I've been a lifelong Windows user.

For various reasons I've decided to make a switch to Apple and my primary requirement is portability, though I'm also reliant on USB A so that's a close second and why I'm interested in the MBA 11".

I see that the official online Apple store doesn't stock the 11" anymore but I've dropped into a few resellers here in Chiang Mai that do however they only have the 4GB and 128 SSD options.

For efficiencies sake I'm just throwing this out to the forum in the case that anyone in Chiang Mai has seen a MBA 11" with 8gb and if it has the 256 GB SSD then that would be a nice bonus but the RAM is more important to me.

FWIW I've asked the stores if they can do upgrades and they've said they can't and from my admittedly limited experience researching Apple I am under the impression that the SDD and RAM is soldered in which makes it difficult to upgrade later. 

If anyone wants to throw in any pros/cons on the MBA feel free too. 

I've already heard much about how bad the resolution is compared to the MBP and MB and frankly expected it to be terrible but recently had a friend bring his over and put it next to my 2010 Asus and his was much better. So I'd be fine with the MBA as far as that goes.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, suggestions, advice etc.

2 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Ive got one
I have problems reading words ( too small)
I have to put it onto my tv with hdmi cable

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for your input.  I was warned that could be a possible issue but it seems fine for me as I gave my friend's a test run by writing for a few hours on it.

I'm considering the 13" MBA.  The 11" is just my preference because of frequent travel.  The new MB is an option as I've given one a good test drive, my first preference is just a 11" MBA with 8GB Ram if that's available.  If not I'll probably be looking at either the 13" or the MB, though it seems that the new MBP is only grams heavier than the new MBA so that could also be an option.  I just don't really need that much power as whatever I buy is going to be used mainly for doing basic tasks while traveling and I use my workhorse at home for more intensive tasks.

The MBA has not been updated for a long time and most think it is living out its last days. If you buy an MBA now, it will be a machine that is already dated.

Would highly recommend considering the newly released Macbook Pro. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never have a problem reading anything.  I max any screen I'm using and flip from program to program with the four finger swipe.  I have the 128/4 version.  I easily keep 40 or so gigs free at any time for things I'm working on.  I use google drive to store stuff....I don't find space an issue though.

What requires you to have 8Gig?  I use photoshop, all the usually productivity apps, plus garageband and other music apps, and have never had a hiccup in my work.  I make simple movies all the time with imovie, no problem.  I'm not sure what your plans are that you want that much RAM, I've found I just don't need it.

The best thing is that the air is so damned light.   My favorite and most used computer so far.  Even after having it for 3.5 years and using it a lot every day it still gives me 6 hours plus of battery life.

I couldn't find an 11" MBA in the end anyway so went with a 13" MBP.

My 8GB RAM preference was because the windows laptops I've had previously seemed to max out my RAM easily at 4GB but I understand that the hardware to software coordination is much smoother with the Macs and so far so good with the MBP.

I couldn't find an 11" MBA in the end anyway so went with a 13" MBP.

My 8GB RAM preference was because the windows laptops I've had previously seemed to max out my RAM easily at 4GB but I understand that the hardware to software coordination is much smoother with the Macs and so far so good with the MBP.

Cool, enjoy your MBP! Yeah RAM was always an issue when I was using windoze, definitely not when you are using Mac software, never ever had a hang or hiccup. I use non Mac originated programs too like the DAW Reason, and that generally does great though when I get into projects with many tracks I need to lower the bitrate sometimes til it's time to render. I feel so much more productive with a Mac. It lets me focus on my work and not on trying to get programs to work. I just got a new drone so have been throwing a lot of 4K video at iMovie. Smooth as butter from import to export.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I bought a 13" MBP with touch bar a couple of weeks ago as well. The display is a huge improvement over my old MBA, as is the processor speed. I am getting about eight hours on battery, which is great. Unlike a lot of the reviews I have read, I honestly find the touch bar to be useful effective for certain things.  I got the space grey one and it looks good as well. 

One thing I really, really do not like: the keyboard. The keys make a lot of noise when typing and it is very noticeable. I do not really see any improvement over the key feel and travel over my four year old MBA. In a way I am sort of surprised that Apple would go with such a noisy keyboard. If I could replace it, I would.

By the way, I bought this in Kuala Lumpur. Together with the GST refund and low USD equivalent due to the weak ringgit, I paid about 20% less than I would have here in Thailand. Only drawback is no Thai characters in my keyboard.

On 3/30/2017 at 11:45 AM, tominbkk said:

Cool, enjoy your MBP! Yeah RAM was always an issue when I was using windoze, definitely not when you are using Mac software, never ever had a hang or hiccup. I use non Mac originated programs too like the DAW Reason, and that generally does great though when I get into projects with many tracks I need to lower the bitrate sometimes til it's time to render. I feel so much more productive with a Mac. It lets me focus on my work and not on trying to get programs to work. I just got a new drone so have been throwing a lot of 4K video at iMovie. Smooth as butter from import to export.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yeah I'm used to windows eating up 16GB Ram easily when doing just basic browsing of text sites.  That became a norm whether with firefox, chrome, opera etc.  Forget about internet explorer.

There's a little bit of a new learning curve with OSX and the software but no where near as steep as I thought probably because my needs these days are basic.

On 3/30/2017 at 11:53 AM, bubba said:

I bought a 13" MBP with touch bar a couple of weeks ago as well. The display is a huge improvement over my old MBA, as is the processor speed. I am getting about eight hours on battery, which is great. Unlike a lot of the reviews I have read, I honestly find the touch bar to be useful effective for certain things.  I got the space grey one and it looks good as well. 

One thing I really, really do not like: the keyboard. The keys make a lot of noise when typing and it is very noticeable. I do not really see any improvement over the key feel and travel over my four year old MBA. In a way I am sort of surprised that Apple would go with such a noisy keyboard. If I could replace it, I would.

By the way, I bought this in Kuala Lumpur. Together with the GST refund and low USD equivalent due to the weak ringgit, I paid about 20% less than I would have here in Thailand. Only drawback is no Thai characters in my keyboard.

I expected a difference with the keyboard and strangely the keyboard on the MBA I tried out felt better but I'm getting used to the MBP one along with the OS and programs.  So I lump the whole new learning experience in together and its a lot smoother than I expected.  I'm not really using the touch bar to the potential I've heard that its capable of but will get around to exploring it more once I'm feeling more natural with my first priorities I'd expect. 

I would have bought in KL too if I was there but I was loaning a laptop from a friend and pretty much needed one now so couldn't really wait the few months until I'll be there.  The guys in the epistore centers there are very helpful too.  Even though I hadn't bought my iphone from them they took the time to make it the way I wanted it to be.  Nice guys.

Just for future reference: there is a Machines shop (Apple Authorised Retailer) in the KL LCC Terminal. They will also do the GST refund for tourists form. If you were buying something expensive like a new MBP and could tolerate Air Asia, you could do an airport turnaround save at least a couple hundred USD, especially now that the baht is getting even stronger. 

I think we agree about the keyboards. I still much prefer the keyboard on my old MBA. The MBP keyboard just feels so clickedy clackedty and makes too much noise. The MBA was really quiet and had sort of a soft feel to me. I just cannot imagine anyone preferring the new MBP keyboard, but that's just me.

Archived