DDproperty: deal through agent or not?

dblaisde

What do you want: buy, rent?

What will you do at the property alone? Do you speak Thai so you can speak  to somebody at the property and find out who the owner is. Does the owner want to deal with private persons or just let the agency do it?

If you don't know you better use an agent otherwise you could save money when you do business directly.

I want to rent month-to-month at first. I *don't* speak Thai.

But... I'm talking about the situation of a hotel with a number of units to rent who will show me what's available and for how much. There are many DD entries of this type, though sometimes they refer to specific units, but I was assuming the hotel knows which they are and doesn't need the renter or hotel's permission to show me. (As I say I'm a newbie at this). So far I've sent 10 agents notifications and 10 hours later (on a Sunday granted) no call backs.

>What will you do at the property alone?

Not sure what you mean by this.

I have gone in to condo buildings and had a look at rooms and been told the price. I have gone with agents to the same condos and seen the same rooms and told the price.

Sometimes it has been higher sometimes lower.

The major advantage of using an agent will be if there is a problem, you can call them to fix it.

Also I would imagine it's much easier to get your deposit back if using an agent.

2 hours ago, dblaisde said:

I want to rent month-to-month at first. I *don't* speak Thai.

But... I'm talking about the situation of a hotel with a number of units to rent who will show me what's available and for how much. There are many DD entries of this type, though sometimes they refer to specific units, but I was assuming the hotel knows which they are and doesn't need the renter or hotel's permission to show me. (As I say I'm a newbie at this). So far I've sent 10 agents notifications and 10 hours later (on a Sunday granted) no call backs.

>What will you do at the property alone?

Not sure what you mean by this.

For a hotel you don't need an agent, just walk in

Thanks berybert,

Good points.

Also the communication would probably be easier with an agent: I always have to spend one night in any room before I sign a lease since I have allergies to all kinds of things: building materials, pollution, mold, leftover animal hair...you name it. It's hard to get that idea across without good communication. (of course I'll pay what they want for 1 night).

10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

For a hotel you don't need an agent, just walk in

Yeah, that's what I wondered. Some ads are for specific rooms, but when you look further it seems like they're advertising the hotel as a whole. If actually for a specific room, I wonder whether hotel management would show it, or whether they have a contract with the agent (or perhaps the owner does) that prohibits them? In any case, you'd think a big hotel would have a deal with owners who want to rent rooms to show them on demand (or so I'd think).

Archived