pipe sizing for new tank and pump

Joinaman

Hi there, newbie here looking for a bit of advice

Im looking to install a new 1000 ltre water tank with probably a Hitachi 150 pump

would be installed as per diagram on this site but

I have half inch pipe from the main stop tap all the way to the house which is about 29 m run

its a single storey house, one bathroom with electric shower one washing machine, one kitchen sink, plus outside tap

would i be better replacing the pipework from the pump with 1inch pipes, then reducing back to half inch before entering house

plus, would it be ok to add some sprinklers to the system too cos her indoors would like the garden turfed 

Which adds another question _ anyone know the best place for turf near Nakon Phanomm or Sackon Phanom, im halfway between the two

thanks for any help, 

The normal output from a tank is 1" and the normal input to a pump is 1".  So, for sure keep that dimension to the pump.  The 1/2" input to the tank is OK.  

Keep the 1" output from the pump as long as you can before reducing to the 1/2" which is most likely supplying your home.

Show your plan for "adding sprinklers".  Not difficult but can be a bit tricky to provide more than one water source.

Edit:  Your location must be like everywhere else in Thailand where there is a plant nursery every 20 meters or so on the outskirts of the village.  They will all be much the same.

Edited by bankruatsteve

thanks for the help bankuatsteve

Will replace the existing half inch pipe with one inch for about 24m,  the last 5 m had various branches into the house

will try this first, then can always replace the last 5 m and fit reducers to reconnect to existing appliances, or should i just do it all as close to each house supply in one inch

Not sure how im doing the lawn sprinklers yet. Was thinking of using pop up sprinklers, maybe bring them back from Australia cos i believe theres are better quality then here

been looking at a site which explains how to check pressures, which sprinklers and how many i could fit, so will study that i think

Fit the pump first, then check the pressure , which will dictate which type and how many i can fit

Its not a large area, only about 7 m x 20 m 

Thanks again for your help

Im spending hours on the various posts on here , got lots to learn 

I would run as much 1" pipe as possible, a few meters here and there wont make a lot of noticeable difference.

I would question the wisdom of fitting a sprinkler system! 7 x 20m be easier to do it with a water hose or movable sprinkler. Have you tried digging a hole in the garden, if the soil is like mine need a jackhammer this time of year!

Thanks CGW

the more i think about it, the more i like the idea of a movable bog standard sprinkler

like you say, it bloody hard work digging in the ground here

bad enough digging to get the power over to the pump

But, another question

what size able for a 150 w  pump ?  2.5 be ok straight from the main board, plus an earth rod next to the pump ? Cable length is about 15 m  

was going to put cable inside plastic pipe underground, or do i need to get armoured cable, ? which will make it hard to connect into the board

If you are going to run the cable in conduit underground, I would use 3 core NYY cable and attach the earth to the earth connection in the CU, There is no reason to add an additional earth rod at the pump.  IMHO , although 2.5mm is adequate I would use 4mm in case I wanted to upgrade the pump in the future.

Good point, the board is already earthed so might as well use 3 core  and for the extra it costs, might as well make it future proof too

thank for that, never thought of using 3 core, everything over here seems to be 2 core and sfick an earth rod in

can I just do a watertight connection at the pump and use the board if I need to isolate it, or do I need to put an external switch next to the pump

sorry to keep asking questions but appreciate any help from the knowledgable people on here

thanks again

I would definitely put a switch next to the pump for lots of reasons, it probably wouldn't hurt to put a water proof power socket there as well? One thing I never gave enough thought to was exterior sockets, plenty inside but very few outside so end up using extension cables which is a Pain!

Most pumps that I have "plug in".  So, if outside and subject to weather, you would want an outlet protected for that.  <- not easy to find good ones here - why I don't know as most options are a plastic box with a lid.  

And, if you can't find 2-core w/ground, you could just string along a 1mm2 green wire.  3-core wire in Udon is very hard to find.  

I order all of my "special" cable from SK Universal in Bangkok Thai Yazuki Brand.  The last that I ordered was VCT, not NYY but they have it, not cheap but available.  Here's what I ordered the last time, ordered one day, paid via bank transfer, cut and shipped the next  via EMS and arrived the next with no hassle trying unsuccessfully to find it locally.

- VCT 3C x 6 mm2    20M. = 118 Baht/M.  = 2,360 Baht    THAI YAZAKI brand

- VCT 3C x 10 mm2  20M. = 206 Baht/M. = 4,120  Baht    THAI YAZAKI brand

PM me and I'll send you an email address

good idea CGW, to put outside socket. Will be better than extension leads as you say

just got to find an external switch and socket,Going to go look in Global and Mega Home see what they do,  but if not, going to Australia soon, so could bring one back from there, cos they would be much better and safer

I checked my cupboard for stuff the sparky left after a recent rewire. Remembered he ordered 50 m of 4 mm 3 core but only used about 10 m so there is plenty to get from the pump to the board. I remember being annoyed at having to pay all that money and him not use it, but its all good now. Just got the pipe and draw wire put into a trench across the garden, had to be quick cos the guys came to start laying a new driveway today, so needed to get it under the concrete,. Having them lay a concrete base for the new tank and pump so should be fitting everything soon, i hope

Thanks to everyone here