Scrutiny of Multiple Non Imm O at Suvarhnabhumi

Hi All,

Quick list of my visa history: Have been living in Thailand since around 2010, under 50 married with 2 kids  - don't work here am fortunate to have an income from Europe (tho own some shares in a business here). Started with single Non Imm O Visa's then had 3 years of Non Imm O extensions and for the last 3 years have been using the Non Imm O Multiple from Savannaket. Never overstayed and I only have one visa exempt which I had to cross the border into Burma as the Laos border had problems at the time(this was during the coup). 

I travel to Europe about twice a year for a month or two and also have one or two weekends away or trips to neighbouring countries. All other trips out are border runs to re-activate my Non Imm O Multiple. 

Anyway coming back recently from 3 or 4 days in a neighbouring country and whilst at the Immigration counter at Swampy the lady officer spent an abnormal amount of time perusing my passport, this despite hundreds of people behind me (the airport Immigration was packed), After about 10 minutes she asked did I have family here, which I replied yes, she was curios as to why I was 'living' here. She seemed to me to be considering my entry very carefully, near the end I honestly believed she was either going to refuse me or take it to senior officer. After some polite / respectful back and forth she eventually stamped me in but what is happening? 

I consider myself one of those who follow all the rules, I was respectfully dressed and extremely polite, never had a problem with Immigration at the airport before. My question is, have they changed their view on people staying here on the Non Imm O Multiple? As mentioned I do travel out of the country relatively regularly so do I not fit the criteria? What is the criteria? I don't want to have to worry that every time I enter the country I might be rejected, plus why all the questions? 

Is this going to get worse, do I need to change my visa status?

Thanks,

Paddy 

There may be an inherent contradiction which the system is very very slowly catching up to.

A non-O such as yours is for "visiting a Thai spouse".

Living with your Thai spouse is covered by an extension gained from an immigration office.

Even though you have complied fully with the stipulations of the visa, you may be considered as living and not visiting your Thai spouse.

The contradiction is in the system.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just a curious immigration officer. There have been no changes.

Years ago, at Mukdahan Border, the Thai IO did check every visa and every stamp in my passport with a magnifying glass. The procedure took more than 10 Minutes. Yeah, sometime they are very curious.

However, always keep respectful and kind.

Travel in and out of Thailand several times a month on a Non-Immigrant O with a nearly full 60 page passport. On more than one occasion, Thai IO has leaved through entire passport both entering and leaving Thailand.  Politely asked once if there was a problem to which IO responded with a smile and "no problem".  After that gave up worrying about it.  Have a new, almost empty passport now so hoping for speedier entries and exits.

Just doing her job, mate. I dont think anything to worry about. I get grilled @YVR everytime I go back and Im a bloody passport holder: "Where you been? Why? What do you do over there? Why are you coming back? Any accompanying children? Would you mind if we checked your bags?" etc. With all the BS going on with global migration nowadays, Border Services/Immigration of any country play a key role in keeping everyone safe and it is a tough and thankless job. I dont mind to wait a few extra minutes if it means nabbing some bad dudes. 

That being said, never had a problem in Thailand since 1999. 

• Like 1

if you have a wife and children here with a non - imm 'O' and clearly spend most of yer time in country the IO was probably wonderin' why you didn't have an extension of stay based upon marriage...

I useta regularly travel with multi - entry non - imm 'O's and would sometimes get strange looks from the airport IO until I started with the extensions after which there were no probs...until I once mistakenly entered the wrong flight number on the arrival card and then the IO angrily said there is no such flight number...I looked at the dude, made the necessary correction (I had changed planes in Doha) then went on my way...the dude was obviously havin' a bad day which is allowable as we all have bad days, etc...