koh phangan motorcycle registration scam

Taco

Just renewed my annual registration on my CBR 250 at the office in Koh Phangan.  No question this is a corrupt double pricing set up that preys on farangs and probably quite a few Thais as well.  I am pondering calling the Bangkok corruption number and would like to hear other peoples experiences. 

Background story is last year I was two years late and he said I give you special price and I payed 1300 for one year back registration and the current year.  This year I only payed for this next year and he charged me 950 baht.  Money went straight in his back pocket. 

He quickly handles the scam by trying to not let you see the receipt by stapling the receipt after folding it a few times then putting it into a small envelope and stapling that as well so its hard to open without ripping the receipt. 

I asked him in Thai last year I paid 650 more expensive this year?  His reply was Kap. Come back Saturday.  Upon taking out the staples and inspecting the receipt it was a cost of 347 baht.  I expect a fee on top of that but not almost 200%. 

Which "office"? A private agent or a land transport office (that's Samui not Koh Phangan) or an insurance company.

If a private agent, he can add on whatever handling charge he likes surely.

Exactly what Briggsy says Koh Phangan not have a office of the Department of Land Transport. So if you pay somebody on the island to do it for you.... He can charge anything you're willing to pay.

Next year if you want to do it yourself you can do it at:

Samui Land Transport Office
125 moo 2 Tambon Lipa Noi, Koh Samui district, Surat Thani Province, 84320
Tel: 07-742-3309