Urgent advice required

My extension based on retirement needs to be renewed on 10 March at the latest.

Since my current passport expires in August I applied for a new passport on 20 February with the promise that it would take 10 working days.

Because of circumstances beyond my control the passport isn't issued yet.

My embassy has agreed to immediately  issue a 1 year temporary passport.

Can I apply for a new extension with that temporary passport?

Since the embassy tells me they can't stop the application for the new passport, it will probably arrive next week, so what happens with the extension already in the temporary passport when the new passport arrives next week?

Any other suggestions to solve this issue?

Additionally, since I can't get in Bangkok in time, the temporary passport will be issued without my signature. How will immigration respond to that??

I believe you can apply for an extension on the old passport, but it will only be granted until the expiry date of the passport, in your case August. This would mean applying for an extension again in August.

As far as I know, you can apply for an extension using an emergency travel document. When you get your new passport, the extension would then be transferred to it from the emergency travel document.

• Like 1

The first part of your post I was aware of, that's also why I applied for the new passport.

The second part sounds as good news in my ears, now I only have that pesky issue that there is no signature of me on the temporary document, and how immigration gonna react to that.

18 minutes ago, Allstars said:

The second part sounds as good news in my ears, now I only have that pesky issue that there is no signature of me on the temporary document, and how immigration gonna react to that.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean it does not have place for you to sign it. It yes then immigration would not have a problem with that.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean it does not have place for you to sign it. It yes then immigration would not have a problem with that.

It does have place for me to sign, but since this is an urgency, the consul authorized to send it without my signature.

6 minutes ago, Allstars said:

It does have place for me to sign, but since this is an urgency, the consul authorized to send it without my signature.

I have signed all my new passports after I received them. Perhaps different for a emergency passport.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I have singed all my new passports after I received them. Perhaps different for a emergency passport.

Yes I asked that, but they say the page that holds my details will be plasticized,.

Should I try to sign it on top of the plasticizing, or would that be even more stupid ?

5 minutes ago, Allstars said:

Yes I asked that, but they say the page that holds my details will be plasticized,.

Should I try to sign it on top of the plasticizing, or would that be even more stupid ?

I don't know. I guess you could sign on topic of the plastic but it would likely smudge.

On my new passport the signature was not on the same page as the photo and etc.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know. I guess you could sign on topic of the plastic but it would likely smudge.

On my new passport the signature was not on the same page as the photo and etc.

On my new (2 yr old) passport, the signature is digitised from the application form and on the photo page.

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

On my new (2 yr old) passport, the signature is digitised from the application form and on the photo page.

Yes this is so with a officially issued passport, but with a temporary passport everything is in hand writing, as shown from the copy they mailed me a few minutes ago.

They included an official letter which states that this passport was issued to me by the embassy.

Edited by Allstars

Digital signature or your hand writing signature in the new passport may not be a issue with the immigration as this new passport come from embassy, you should be more worried is on the day in the immigration office your hand writing have to be the same as show in the passport.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

17 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

Digital signature or your hand writing signature in the new passport may not be a issue with the immigration as this new passport come from embassy, you should be more worried is on the day in the immigration office your hand writing have to be the same as show in the passport.

The temporary travel document comes from the embassy as well.

The only hand writing you may have to do on it is a signature.

Edited by Doiger

2 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

I can't remember the last time any of my handwriting samples have ever matched. 

• Like 2