Sound bars or speakers

Encid

Both sound bars and conventional 2.1 speakers are compromises. Both systems share the concept of using small speakers to cover the majority of the sound spectrum, but using a single subwoofer to handle the low frequencies. 

A sound bar places the main speakers under the TV screen in a single enclosure. This creates a convenient way to place the speakers but severely restricts the stereo spread available.

It's generally agreed that the left and right speakers should approximately form an equilateral triangle with the primary listening position for the best stereo effect. In a surround system, the left and right speakers are placed with an even wider angle between them. 

All things being equal, the conventional 2.1 system will probably provide somewhat better sound quality and stereo effect, while the sound bar will provide a more convenient and attractive installation.

What do you think?

For me there's too many wires with a conventional home cinema system - so I gave mine away, and I'm now looking at (listening to) sound bars as a replacement, as the internal TV speakers are a bit weak.

The LG sound bar with the wireless sub-woofer is the current favorite.

You need to break down the pros and cons of each so you can decide what’s best for you.

SOUND BAR OVERVIEW

Pros:

Easy installation and connectivity

Minimal wires

Modern design

Great for small-medium living spaces

Excellent virtual sound, which simulates the surround sound experience

Cons:

May need to buy separate subwoofer 

The placement of the sound bar creates specific “sweet spots” in your listening experience

Does not produce complete surround sound, especially in larger living environments

SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM OVERVIEW

Pros:

Full range surround sound

Able to place speakers in multiple stations for optimal acoustics

Maximum bass

Audiophile theater system presentation

Cons:

Most quality systems require running wires from the receiver to each individual speaker

Takes up more space

More involved installation process

More expensive

You need to let your ears tell you which one is best for you. How we hear sound is a subjective, personal experience, not driven by law or formulas.

Watch a programme or two or three with each of the systems, then decide which one gives you most enjoyment, which one you can listen to for the longest time without tiredness setting in.

Oh, and if you have a partner, make sure they are onboard with your decision on both sound and aesthetic criteria.

I use a pair of floorstanding speakers. Sounds way better than any sound bar and is cheaper than many.

Also, I don't need a muddy subwoofer.

If you're into the surround sound gimmick then knock yourself out. Personally I think a good stereo pair sounds better.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Higher end soundbars can be paired with additional wireless speakers to give the correct separation required for decent stereo. Add in an active sub and you have a pretty good 5.1 system..

I store all my media (music and films) on my laptop and connect to the TV via HDMI and presently wanna improve on the TV audio quality...does the soundbar connection to the TV auto override the HDMI audio signal to the TV speakers? how does it work, connectionwise? how does the soundbar connect to the TV?

looks like from what I've read soundbar devices are used mostly to play audio media from smartphones via bluetooth...

presuming that a soundbar device is suitable for my purposes what device is best from lazada?

don't mean to hijack/intrude...thanks in advance

The older way, to be avoided, was to output via optical to the soundbar from the TV.

The modern way is the soundbar has multiple hdmi inputs ( for input from your cable box, tv box, laptop etc) and usually an optical input also for hi-fi Sonos or other audio hifi to Soundbar. The Soundbar then has one hdmi output to the TV.

7 hours ago, coops said:

The older way, to be avoided, was to output via optical to the soundbar from the TV.

The modern way is the soundbar has multiple hdmi inputs ( for input from your cable box, tv box, laptop etc) and usually an optical input also for hi-fi Sonos or other audio hifi to Soundbar. The Soundbar then has one hdmi output to the TV.

ah...so it's laptop HDMI to saoundbar and soundbar to TV...I had it ass backwards...

sounds like one needs to inspect the device for the right input/output ports before purchasing...

thanks

12 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I store all my media (music and films) on my laptop and connect to the TV via HDMI and presently wanna improve on the TV audio quality...does the soundbar connection to the TV auto override the HDMI audio signal to the TV speakers? how does it work, connectionwise? how does the soundbar connect to the TV?

looks like from what I've read soundbar devices are used mostly to play audio media from smartphones via bluetooth...

presuming that a soundbar device is suitable for my purposes what device is best from lazada?

don't mean to hijack/intrude...thanks in advance

I do this myself and it works just fine. Both audio and visual go to the TV via HDMI and then then the audio goes to the sound bar via an optical connection. You could also connect the audio using a 3.5 mil audio cable if the optical option is not available, but make sure that your TV has an audio out connection.

I have an LG sound bar which works quite well, but I don't think it's up to the mark for quality music listening. I agree with others here, a quality two speaker system is much better in that regard. If you're an avid music listener I would consider other options, unless, like me you have a den for that purpose.

Edited by Moonlover

I don't have an optical facility on my 5 y.o. samsung 40" LED TV so I'd havta use the TV audio out colored jacks (analog? possible for digital signals?) to connect to the soundbar...I mostly wanna improve on the movie dialog sound quality as it's muddy using the TV speakers...

is it possible to use the TV HDMI ports (got 2 on the TV, one used for the laptop connection) for an output audio signal to the soundbar?

if I wanna do some serious music listening I use the laptop earphone jack but I was thinking that there must be a way to improve on that arrangement as well...

15 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I store all my media (music and films) on my laptop and connect to the TV via HDMI and presently wanna improve on the TV audio quality...

You could connect your laptop to the soundbar via HDMI or Bluetooth 2.0 and use the HDMI out on the soundbar to connect to the TV.

Just check the specifications on the soundbar... most should have both HDMI in and out connections.

See the datasheet for the Klipsch RSB-6 (SOUNDBAR) +Wireless Subwoofer here for example.

By the way, that particular soundbar and sub is currently selling for 15,900 baht at Piyanas and Hi-Hi Lover... see here and here.

LG also have some soundbars that seem OK technically... it just depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

There is the Sound Bar NB2540 which is a 120W 2.1ch unit with a wireless subwoofer for 5,990 baht... see here.

There is also the Sound Bar NB5540 which is a 320W 4.1ch Surround Sound unit with a wireless subwoofer for 19,990 baht... see here.