"Hazing" back in the news as engineering students complain of cruel treatment

rooster59

"Hazing" back in the news as engineering students complain of cruel treatment

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQzNi8yMTgxNjAyL25ld3MxNS5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

The issue of "hazing" is back in the Thai news after engineering students reported incidents that happened on a beach in Klaeng, Rayong, last week.

Hazing is the practice of welcoming new students into a university or institute and involves requiring the new arrivals to undergo a series of ordeals.

While some of these are merely humiliating they can also be dangerous.

Students of Ratchamongkhol Institute of Technology (Pranakorn Neua) in Bangkok have broken ranks to complain about their treatment at the hazing ritual in Rayong last weekend.

They were not meant to reveal any details to the outside world but sanook.com said that they had gone to PPTV to say the hazing had gone too far.

One student had burns to their neck. Another picture showed the new students' "tormentors" demanding that they put their hands behind their backs and bury their heads in the sand.

The students complaining said that more details and pictures would follow to back up their claim of over the top treatment.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-11

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

You mean like armies? 

Yup, same MO. Although I have to admit, some of the soldiers I've met have been the most sane persons I know. I guess it doesn't apply for career folks with brains, just the indoctrinated cannon fodder. 

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Yup, same MO. Although I have to admit, some of the soldiers I've met have been the most sane persons I know. I guess it doesn't apply for career folks with brains, just the indoctrinated cannon fodder. 

Oh really?

You mean the drafted soldiers?

You must have been one of those idiot officers, indoctrinated into oblivion and trying to pass on that idioterie to "cannon fodder" that knows very well which enemy they have to dispose of out of hand to stay alive and do some good then.

19 hours ago, hansnl said:

Oh really?

You mean the drafted soldiers?

You must have been one of those idiot officers, indoctrinated into oblivion and trying to pass on that idioterie to "cannon fodder" that knows very well which enemy they have to dispose of out of hand to stay alive and do some good then.

No, just an observer. I declined the obligatory draft and was forced to serve 13 months in civil service. Armies, terrorist groups, fraternities, vocational colleges (quite a Thai thing), etc all have their useful idiots. Hazing is simply a part of indoctrination. I recommend "Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control by Kathleen Taylor".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing:_The_Science_of_Thought_Control

Edited by DrTuner
Added wiki link