Mum's anguish as son goes missing in Thailand after 'I'm sorry' text message

rooster59

Mum's anguish as son goes missing in Thailand after 'I'm sorry' text message 

By ARThomas

15900180-large.jpg

Shane Evans

Fears are growing for Shane Evans, who is missing in Thailand after sending his mum a text saying 'I'm sorry'.

Wendy Evans, from Linden, said she hasn't been able to contact 28-year-old Shane, who lives in Cinderford, since receiving the message on Tuesday.

Shane, born in Gloucester, has been travelling around New Zealand since October but after splitting up with his girlfriend apparently headed for Thailand without telling anyone.

The first Wendy knew he was there was when police traced his phone.

Police here in Gloucestershire have issued an urgent missing persons appeal and want anyone who may have heard from Shane to get in touch.

Full story: http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/mum-s-anguish-as-son-goes-missing-in-thailand-after-i-m-sorry-text-message/story-30194857-detail/story.html

Gloucestershire Live: 2017-03-11

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, djayz said:

This isn't always the best place for the emotionally unstable...

Is any place good for the emotionally stable?   Not sure Thailand is worse than anywhere else.

1 hour ago, jcisco said:

Is any place good for the emotionally stable?   Not sure Thailand is worse than anywhere else.

I think there are more temptations here (in SE Asia in general), more people who prey on the weak/inexperienced, more pitfalls, less people/services in place to help catch people before they fall too deep, round the clock access to relatively inexpensive drink and sex, etc. 

I'm not saying it's a bad place nor am I saying that it's Thailand's fault, just that it's a place where a man could go mad and 'tis many a man who has gone mad here. Just look at the number of suicides over the last few years. 

I'm glad to be here, emotionally, financially and mentally (debatable ?) stable.

17 minutes ago, topt said:

Do Interpol normally get involved if a 28 year old male "disappears" for a few days? And it says police checked his phone for his location?

As far as I know, interpol only gets involved if an international arrest warrent has been issued. 

Edited by djayz

14 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

I thought we come here so we blend in more and we're not noticed as much. Mai bin rai etc

There are many different segments of society that a person could try blending in with...

2 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

He's young and good looking. Doubt he needs to visit the whore infested locales you mention for 'company'.

He didn't need to come to Thailand at all as I am sure he could find himself a girlfriend at the drop of a hat.  However if he has just broken up with his girlfriend he may have decided to immerse himself in a world on sex, drugs and rock and roll for a while.  I don't think that there is too much to be concerned about yet.

1 hour ago, topt said:

Do Interpol normally get involved if a 28 year old male "disappears" for a few days? And it says police checked his phone for his location?

For interpol it's mostly a matter of putting an entry in a database. I highly doubt the run of the mill BiB have any access to that. Immigration does, so when he eventually shows up at an airport, there's a ping.