i need some help with understanding a thai debitcard

hi everyone

i got a simple savings account at SCB bank and im going to ask for a debit card (350baht)

tried 2 banks already and no staff speak english so i got to ask you guys

if i ask for a card will it be a real debit card or merely an ATM cash withdrawal card?

reason for getting a debit card is that i have to pay for my new british passport

theres been many reports that the british office cannot extract money from some thai cards

from various thai banks

one question is how can i make my card able to make international transfers namely the passport

office can definately take the money they want without there being any blocking from the the thai end

of the transaction?

must i ask for a certain kind of card?

You must have a UK credit or debit card? Just use that.

You will get a real debit card from scb but it's Mastercard and it's not Internet enabled. I'm pretty sure I used it at a foreign hotel and wasn't able to either. But have had no issues using it within Thailand at Tescos, hotels and gas stations. It just doesn't work on Internet or abroad for some reason.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

hi, R

i got a royal bank of scotland account allright but its inactive ive been out of the country so long

you confirmed my fears that the SCB card will not do international transfers

that same bank does a one time only virtual card. i wonder if its internet capable?

Do you mean your rbs account is closed? Not sure what inactive is, it's either open or closed.

If you're on a work or 1 year visa in thailand you can try a bank that issues Visa debit cards. My Bangkok bank visa debit card worked abroad and on Internet but now they don't issue Visa anymore only Union Pay. Other banks like ktb might still issue visa debit cards.

I have had a Mastercard debit card from SCB for many years. It can be used in shops and ATMs in Thailand and at ATMs in the UK. Not sure about shops as I have never tried. If you register for online banking with SCB you can pay for airline tickets, transfer money etc. just as you would with a UK bank account.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A bit confused by the question (the "international" part) but, as Mikeshov said, the standard ATM card you get from SCB is a debit card that'll draw money on purchases directly from SCB.  All you can use it for, though, is to withdraw cash at an ATM card or use it as a debit card for purchases at stores/establishments (oh, can also be used sometimes online as a debit card for purchases).  It's not a credit card.

As to what the British embassy will accept for payment, I don't know....check their website.

I have a BKK Bank ATM card set up to work in any bank's ATM including in neighbouring countries.  To make purchases online (air tickets etc) I had to get a credit card.  Pretty sure that would work for your new passport.

Edited by losername
Inserted missing letters - dodgy keyboard

Two of my daughters have applied for UK passport renewal using their K-bank accounts.  Each time they had a call from the UK pointing out that they couldn't process the Thai payment as Thailand is 'red-flagged'.  Both instances ended up with me paying from my UK bank.... grrrrr!

9 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Two of my daughters have applied for UK passport renewal using their K-bank accounts.  Each time they had a call from the UK pointing out that they couldn't process the Thai payment as Thailand is 'red-flagged'.  Both instances ended up with me paying from my UK bank.... grrrrr!

Did they try to use the actual debit card number or the virtual visa number? 

I did it 2 months ago with the virtual visa number and it worked fine.   

Take someone with you who speaks Thai and make sure they ensure the staff understand what it is you want. A debit card is more likely; I'm not sure any Thai bank now offers ATM-only cards.

But if it's for your British passport, do you not have a UK account and card? They take the fee in sterling, so paid from a sterling account is obviously a better bet.

11 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Did they try to use the actual debit card number or the virtual visa number? 

I did it 2 months ago with the virtual visa number and it worked fine.   

What is a virtual visa number as opposed to debit card number?

1 minute ago, Cyclone88 said:

What is a virtual visa number as opposed to debit card number?

With Kasikorn they give you a physical card which can be used as an ATM card and a debit card.

You can also activate (via their online banking system) a virtual shopping card for making online payments.   

You get issued a virtual visa card number with expiry date and CVS number.   

I use mine almost daily to make payments online.

19 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Ah, yes, red-flagged.

My UK bank failed to send me my new card, failed to tell me that they hadn't sent it, then claimed, when I called them, that sanctions prevented them from sending me my card, and prevented them from telling me they hadn't sent it. Strangely enough, the 'sanctions' had kicked-in just before it expired, but they couldn't explain why they hadn't advised me beforehand, when they weren't 'breaking' the rules, nor why it was that I was on the phone to them while looking at a statement that had been sent to me after sanctions day. Never mind why, having been given a UK address, they then sent my card (duly re-dated) to my Thai address.

And nowhere could anyone find any reference to sanctions having been placed on Thailand by the UK, the EU, or any other western country.

But then your daughters (you) saved money. They debit the account in GBP, not THB.

wow, thanks a lot for the imput, guys

i am digesting each suggestion and pieceing together a formula

and explination why so many brits get frustrated paying for pp

seems like what is critical is is the debit/credit/virtual card internet capable?

theres got to be a staff member that knows it definately is or isnt

must it be activated? will it do international transactions?

this all has to be done first rather than assuming it will do the job

btw, ive had accounts made dormant through years of non use

my present RBS account hasnt been used in many years and they wouldnt

issue me a debitcard anyway

ive asked about this a few times on the visa forum here and had only

a confusion of suggestions----sometimes it works sometimes it dont

this activation is the answer i think

19 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

You must have a UK credit or debit card? Just use that.

You will get a real debit card from scb but it's Mastercard and it's not Internet enabled. I'm pretty sure I used it at a foreign hotel and wasn't able to either. But have had no issues using it within Thailand at Tescos, hotels and gas stations. It just doesn't work on Internet or abroad for some reason.

What I got in the first instance was an ATM card although it called itself a Debit Card. It only worked in ATM machines and could not be used for Internet purchases nor could I use it when travelling abroad. After going back to my bank and trying to explain what a Debit Card was and how it worked I finally got an up grade to my ATM card which they called a Shopping Card. This works perfectly same same my UK Debit Card.s

ive got serious plans of going to my bank in the morning and i ll soon

see whats what

btw, i wrote an email to the british pp office in england asking for

a list of accepted thai banks/red flagged banks

they refused to specify

said i need to fill out a form and include photos etc

33 minutes ago, jikwan said:

wow, thanks a lot for the imput, guys

i am digesting each suggestion and pieceing together a formula

and explination why so many brits get frustrated paying for pp

seems like what is critical is is the debit/credit/virtual card internet capable?

theres got to be a staff member that knows it definately is or isnt

must it be activated? will it do international transactions?

this all has to be done first rather than assuming it will do the job

btw, ive had accounts made dormant through years of non use

my present RBS account hasnt been used in many years and they wouldnt

issue me a debitcard anyway

ive asked about this a few times on the visa forum here and had only

a confusion of suggestions----sometimes it works sometimes it dont

this activation is the answer i think

The RBS/Halifax have an embargo on Thailand and won't renew cards ie, send by post, have you any money at all in RBS maybe still active, then renew card next time you are in UK some banks keep an account going for a long time, Nationwide being one with less than £2 credit only and also renew cards onlne and send by post,

Edited by maxcorrigan
more info

2 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

The RBS/Halifax have an embargo on Thailand and won't renew cards ie, send by post, have you any money at all in RBS some banks keep an account going for a long time, Nationwide being one with less than £2 credit only and also renew cards onlne and send by post,

ha! i threw my card away years ago---it was only an ATM card

i believe if you havent used the account for years the pin no dont work and have to

get new cards/pins etc

i reckon its still got a fiver in it total

i believe if you havent used the account for years the pin no dont work and have to
get new cards/pins etc

I opened a nationwide flex account 30 years ago and haven't used it for 25 years but still get letters from them and the account still open the last time I checked!

40 minutes ago, jikwan said:

will it do international transactions?

Although I'm not sure if a local Thai bank clerk/teller will have a clue about that if you ask them that question, I can say that I used my SCB ATM/debit card to withdraw cash (Kyat) a couple of times from an ATM machine in Burma (either Mandalay or Bagan, I forget which) two months ago.  As to what other countries that would also work, I have no clue as I don't think I've tried other places. 

8 minutes ago, jikwan said:

get new cards/pins etc

Give them a call they have a very helpful 24hr helpline, though it won't help you with your card problem, but could activate your account until the next time you are in the UK.

I remember last year buying some groceries in ASDA in the UK. When I was at checkout I realised I had my Thai wallet with me. (I keep two wallets, one with sterling and my UK debit/credit card and the other with any bahts etc plus my Bangkok Bank ATM/Debit card).

I showed the cashier and apologised and said I would pop home and get my UK stuff. She said 'That's a visa card - use that 'So I paid with my Bangkok Bank card, no problem. I suspect it's something to do with age and not keeping up with technological developments.

hi everyone
i got a simple savings account at SCB bank and im going to ask for a debit card (350baht)
tried 2 banks already and no staff speak english so i got to ask you guys
if i ask for a card will it be a real debit card or merely an ATM cash withdrawal card?
reason for getting a debit card is that i have to pay for my new british passport
theres been many reports that the british office cannot extract money from some thai cards
from various thai banks
one question is how can i make my card able to make international transfers namely the passport
office can definately take the money they want without there being any blocking from the the thai end
of the transaction?
must i ask for a certain kind of card?

You can request a Visa Debit card from your bank. The Union card is not widely accepted in shops etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have a Bangkok Bank Visa debit card. Yesterday I bought a smartphone at Lazada and paid with this card online, no problem. Today I wanted to pay an airplane ticket with Swiss Air with this same card but it didn't work. There's a link on their webpage to pay with credit or debit card. What should I do. I contacted them but no reply yet.

Thanks.

52 minutes ago, rutteketuut said:

I have a Bangkok Bank Visa debit card. Yesterday I bought a smartphone at Lazada and paid with this card online, no problem. Today I wanted to pay an airplane ticket with Swiss Air with this same card but it didn't work. There's a link on their webpage to pay with credit or debit card. What should I do. I contacted them but no reply yet.

Thanks.

To protect consumers against fraud, Visa has limits of payments it will authorise without being verified.

Call into your bank and ask them about signing up to the 'Verified by Visa' scheme.

https://www.visa.co.uk/products/protection-benefits/verified-by-visa/

Above a certain limit you are asked to enter another passcode to verify you are the consumer and authorise the payment.

A low cost purchase online or at a store won't be challenged.

A few hundred quid for an airline ticket will.

I suspect the OP has the same problem.