Electrical Interferance with HDMI signal

narkeddiver

Hi,

I am experiencing weird video and audio drop outs to my speaker and tv 4 or 5 times a day 

Its a simple set-up - Apple TV > hdmi > sound bar > hdmi > tv

If I'm playing music from the Apple TV to the sound bar and the tv is off the music will stop for 1 second and then continue

If I'm playing a video from the Apple TV to the tv via the sound bar then the audio stops and the tv screen goes black for a second and occasionally when the tv comes back it displays static even though the sound bar resumes playing the audio - switching the tv on and off fixes the problem

One thing I have noticed is that neither the tv nor the sound bar are switched off when this happens - the power led remains on for both devices

the other thing I have noticed is that the fridge / freezer motor kicks in in the kitchen at the same time I get the drop outs

is it possible that the fridge / freezer motor is the culprit and somehow causing interference when it kicks in?

thanks in advance

I've seen this exact same kind of setup (except no Apple TV but a regular internet operator's TV box instead) and the same symptoms at a friend's house.

Reason was poor quality HDMI cable(s) (not sure, he's replaced both).

I'm not sure if this will work but a cheap thing to try...wrap the HDMI leads in silver cooking foil
However it might be that the interference is on the mains electricity and one piece of your equipment is not so good at filtering it out...so you could try using a computer UPS to suppply each piece of your AV equipment in turn Or on all at once as it maybe more than one piece being effected.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived