Positive syphilis test for Thai work permit

Just now, ricklev said:

Or Dr. Donna at Medconsult Asia.  

That would be the easiest and best solution. Just go see her.  No need to stress about it. 

finally, a voice of reason. It's a stamp on a piece of paper.

finally, a voice of reason. It's a stamp on a piece of paper.

Oh the way, do you think I need to tell her honestly about my situation? Or shall I just go there and let her find it out first before I can tell the whole story? I don't know her and she doesn't know me. I don't want to appear as if I am trying to manipulate the entire situation at my benefit and at the expense of her expertise/profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, john011 said:

Oh the way, do you think I need to tell her honestly about my situation? Or shall I just go there and let her find it out first before I can tell the whole story? I don't know her and she doesn't know me. I don't want to appear as if I am trying to manipulate the entire situation at my benefit and at the expense of her expertise/profession.

How are you manipulating anything by telling  a receptionist you need a work permit medical?

9 minutes ago, john011 said:

You can absolutely just be completely honest with her.  Nothing to worry about. She will understand completely.  Western doctor with a Thai medical license. 

27 minutes ago, john011 said:

First, get professional medical advice. It is your health and far more important than a work permit. Do not seek medical advice on a forum (i.e. prescriptions from anonymous posters) . Third, be honest with your doctor. They will tell you what is or is not possible for your situation. Go see Dr. Donna as ricklev has suggested. 

Please ignore the medical advice some have given (amoxicillin, zithromax etc). These are not the correct drugs for treating syphilis; benzathine penicillin is, which it sounds like you have started a course of.

And yes, even once cured you will still have antibodies and thus test reactive to any antibody-based test.

However, AFAIK it is not required that you have a syphilis blood test, only that a doctor certify that you do not have third stage syphilis (along with several other diseases). Many clinics and some hospitals do this based on physical exam, no blood test.

See this thread

There are indeed small clinics about that issue medical certificates in a, shall we say, loose manner, That is probably your best bet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, docshock13 said:

First, get professional medical advice. It is your health and far more important than a work permit. Do not seek medical advice on a forum (i.e. prescriptions from anonymous posters) . Third, be honest with your doctor. They will tell you what is or is not possible for your situation. Go see Dr. Donna as ricklev has suggested. 

you can predict the future? Please let me know your bank account info, I'd like to send a donation.

23 minutes ago, xvend said:

you can predict the future? Please let me know your bank account info, I'd like to send a donation.

Huh? I am not predicting anything. Just trying to give sound advice. I.e. don't mess your body up with antibiotic cocktails prescribed by TVF posters that are not licensed MDs. 

But yes, PM me and I will send my bank details. Look forward to your huge donations. I am already predicting something in your future...

I caught a dose, must be well over 10 years ago now. I went for blood tests for 3rd stage syphilis which was negative, but the test did pick up I have had syphilis in the past.

If you get a shot up the backside you will find yourself singing. I have never had so much pain as I did when the Doctor injected his needle up my cheek.

Anyhow as someone said its 3rd stage not 1st so nothing to worry about.

There is no such thing as a "blood test for 3rd stage syphilis". The standard blood test detects only syphilis antibodies. While negative result rules out anything other than syphilis newly caught in past week or so, it will be positive in 1st, 2nd, 3rd stage and also in people who had syphilis in the past fully cured. 3rd stage syphilis is diagnosed based on clinical observations in a person who is sero positive for syphilis. It is entirely possible to determine someone does not have 3rd stage syphilis just by examining them and nothing to gain by doing a blood test in absence of clinical signs.

A doctor can quite honestly and acvurately check "no" for this without a blood test.

There is no such thing as a "blood test for 3rd stage syphilis". The standard blood test detects only syphilis antibodies. While negative result rules out anything other than syphilis newly caught in past week or so, it will be positive in 1st, 2nd, 3rd stage and also in people who had syphilis in the past fully cured. 3rd stage syphilis is diagnosed based on clinical observations in a person who is sero positive for syphilis. It is entirely possible to determine someone does not have 3rd stage syphilis just by examining them and nothing to gain by doing a blood test in absence of clinical signs.
A doctor can quite honestly and acvurately check "no" for this without a blood test.

Is there a way at the clinic, I can ask the doctor NOT to indicate the "reactive" on the medical certificate? Can they put "non-reactive" to the fact that I have been fully cured? So that I can keep it private and my company liaison officer will not know about my history.

One of my primary concerns is that I don't want anybody know about my history, most especially staff at my workplace. I'm not too worried about the infection itself because I know I am cured.

37 minutes ago, john011 said:

Is there a way at the clinic, I can ask the doctor NOT to indicate the "reactive" on the medical certificate? Can they put "non-reactive" to the fact that I have been fully cured? So that I can keep it private and my company liaison officer will not know about my history.

One of my primary concerns is that I don't want anybody know about my history, most especially staff at my workplace. I'm not too worried about the infection itself because I know I am cured.

If only there was a British doctor with a Thai medical license who does work permit exams everyday (for 200 baht) who could quickly alleviate all your concerns.  Oh well........

Edited by ricklev
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, john011 said:

"I don't want to appear as if I am trying to manipulate the entire situation at my benefit "

It sure looks that way.

Unless there is something new I am not aware of, there is no requirement to indicate "reactive" OR "non-reactive". Only that yiu do not have tertiary syphilis.

The suggestion to go to Med Consult Asia (Dr. Donna) is good. They do these certificates all the time.

From my understanding of syphilis , the standard VDRL test will eventually show negative once you have been cured. But the problem is that this may take many months so cannot be used to evaluate how initially successful the treatment has been.

Other tests are used to indicate that the infection has been dealt with, but once infected these test may be positive for life.

Be aware that some clinics offer a fast syphilis test. As far as I understand this is not the same type of test as the VDRL test, and can in fact show you are positive from previous infection, but the VDRL test would show as negative. This happened to me. I tested positive with the fast test at a clinic, but negative from subsequent tests at a hospital. I had had a previous infection 10 years before.

You really need to see an experienced VD doctor to get the best advice. If the doctor is satisfied that you no longer have the infection I am sure he would sign off on your medical certificate that you are free from syphillis

• Like 1

From my understanding of syphilis , the standard VDRL test will eventually show negative once you have been cured. But the problem is that this may take many months so cannot be used to evaluate how initially successful the treatment has been.

Other tests are used to indicate that the infection has been dealt with, but once infected these test may be positive for life.

Be aware that some clinics offer a fast syphilis test. As far as I understand this is not the same type of test as the VDRL test, and can in fact show you are positive from previous infection, but the VDRL test would show as negative. This happened to me. I tested positive with the fast test at a clinic, but negative from subsequent tests at a hospital. I had had a previous infection 10 years before.

You really need to see an experienced VD doctor to get the best advice. If the doctor is satisfied that you no longer have the infection I am sure he would sign off on your medical certificate that you are free from syphillis

Thanks for the advice. Will surely consider this. I'm doing all possible ways in order to get a med cert that indicates "non-reactive" or negative.

Unless there is something new I am not aware of, there is no requirement to indicate "reactive" OR "non-reactive". Only that yiu do not have tertiary syphilis.

The suggestion to go to Med Consult Asia (Dr. Donna) is good. They do these certificates all the time.

Not too sure if it is a requirement from the labor or if it is my company that wants to see the "non-reactive" status on the medical certificate.

Thanks for the kind advice.

Bumrangrad Hospital did not do a blood test when I got my work permit medical certificate there last year. 

Hi,

Was that your first time to go to Bumrungrad for the medical certificate related to WP? Or you've had your records in Bumrungrad even before when you go for certain appointment when you get sick?

I also heard about Bumrungrad issuing a med certificate without any blood test. But I'm thinking it may be when you are their regular client.

I wonder how is it for first timer at Bumrungrad. I have never been to Bumrungrad so I don't have any record there.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...
On 13/03/2017 at 9:34 AM, Sheryl said:

Does anyone know if the Ministry of Labour requires the lab slip with the test result on it, or do they just want the health certificate?

I can't see any difficulty with a doctor checking "no" to tertary syphilis despite a reactive test, but if the Labour Department wants the laboratory slip as well, that could prove impossible.

Edited by FruitPudding

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, john011 said:

Hi,

Was that your first time to go to Bumrungrad for the medical certificate related to WP? Or you've had your records in Bumrungrad even before when you go for certain appointment when you get sick?

I also heard about Bumrungrad issuing a med certificate without any blood test. But I'm thinking it may be when you are their regular client.

I wonder how is it for first timer at Bumrungrad. I have never been to Bumrungrad so I don't have any record there.

Thanks.

As mentioned previously, stage 3 syphilis can be detected by visual examination. BumRunGrad will not run a blood test unless the doctor sees some evidence suggesting that it is needed, or you request it. BRG is running an assembly line approach to WP medical certificates.

Not the first time, nor any of the following 5 times, I got my MC at BRG was a blood test ever suggested or required. If you don't mention the syphilis, there will be no problems. Just walk in, say you feel like you are in perfect heath, the doctor will examine you visually and check your lungs with the stethoscope, and you will be directed to the payment window. End of story.