Positive syphilis test for Thai work permit

Hi,

I need some advice. My syphilis test 3 months ago was positive for primary (1st stage) syphilis. I had the first shot of penicillin. I will go for my regular blood test in the next week few weeks. However, I read a lot of information on the internet that even if syphilis has been treated, any future blood test for syphilis will always remain positive. I believe I am now fully cured, but the fact that the test will be positive has scared me a lot because my work permit will expire in August and by the time my employer will apply for renewal, I need to submit medical report, and part of that is syphilis test. 

I have some serious questions to clarify:

1. As far as possible, I need to keep my syphilis to myself and there's no way this should be known by any staff in my company. Is there any accredited hospital in Bangkok that will issue medical record without having necessary blood test? Is syphilis test really required? I remember our company staff in charge of visa would always ask for the medical report that reads: syphilis: non-reactive. 

2. Suppose my blood test will be positive, will I be denied work permit? What are the implications for this in terms of renewing my work permit? Will the company not employ me because Labor department will not issue me a work permit? 

Appreciate all your kind advice. I'm so down because of what happened to me. 

Thanks. 

I am in Thailand, yes! Do I need to take amoxicillin for many months? Or one or two weeks will do (like when you get a common bacterial infection)? Will amoxicillin help to ensure my blood test will no longer yield positive or reactive to the infection?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

How did you catch it?

To be very honest, I didn't know how did I catch it? But I do admit I had some naughty encounters for the past 3 months prior to testing positive. The nurse said it was okay. As it was first stage, nothing to worry because it can easily be treated by one shot of penicillin. But my worry is on my work permit. Is my hope to have my work permit renewed not possible? Is that how strict Thai labor ministry is?

Correct

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I will go for my blood test in the next few weeks and I will surely ask advice from the doctor on what to do and even to suggest taking additional medication to ensure blood test will not yield reactive result.

• Like 1

My place requires a syphilis test every contract renewal.

If I ever failed then I would not get a new work permit.

Not sure you have privacy for the test that relates to this, past history should be private though.

Should.

Doesn't always mean it is.

I can go to a hospital and get tested or secure a medical report by myself. Then I can get the result and submit it to our company. Other companies, I think, would require the hospital or clinic to submit the result directly to the company and in that case, you will not have a hold of the result to keep it private.

My only concern so far is how to get a medical cert from a hospital that will not get me tested for syphilis or if tested and would appear reactive, they can manage to change it to non-reactive result so I won't have any problem. Is that possible?

1 minute ago, john011 said:

I can go to a hospital and get tested or secure a medical report by myself. Then I can get the result and submit it to our company. Other companies, I think, would require the hospital or clinic to submit the result directly to the company and in that case, you will not have a hold of the result to keep it private.

My only concern so far is how to get a medical cert from a hospital that will not get me tested for syphilis or if tested and would appear reactive, they can manage to change it to non-reactive result so I won't have any problem. Is that possible?

Hello sir,

You do not need to go to a hospital, they are very expensive. You can go to a local clinic who will provide a valid medical certificate that is accepted by the employment office and determine whether or not you have syphilis by looking into your eyes and perhaps measuring your blood pressure to make sure you have a pulse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, john011 said:

Where I work, we were not given the option of taking the test privately and then submitting the results.

They have the medical team come in and take the test at work for all on renewal.

Not sure how your company does it.

I think it's some govt regulation from a few years back because never happened when I started.

As to getting a hospital not to test for it, I'm not sure. My place could be BSing us but they said it was non negotiable and it had to happen.

• Like 1

Hello sir,

You do not need to go to a hospital, they are very expensive. You can go to a local clinic who will provide a valid medical certificate that is accepted by the employment office and determine whether or not you have syphilis by looking into your eyes and perhaps measuring your blood pressure to make sure you have a pulse.

Do you know of any legitimate clinic (approved by labor office) around Sukhumvit which doesn't do blood test for syphilis but can put "non-reactive to syphilis" on the medical certificate?

Only stage 3 syphilis is a reason to deny a WP. Stage 1 or 2 is no problem for a WP.

Okay, I was diagnosed of stage 1.

But when I will get tested for work permit purpose, will they put "reactive" on my result if it gets positive? They say even though you are treated already and cured, most likely it will still result in positive.

Or will they put "non-reactive" considering I had only stage 1? I need my med certificate to say "non-reactive" as a requirement.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, john011 said:

Do you know of any legitimate clinic (approved by labor office) around Sukhumvit which doesn't do blood test for syphilis but can put "non-reactive to syphilis" on the medical certificate?

No, Im not in Bangkok. What I'm saying is the medical certificate is simply a formality. Just find a local clinic that will do the medical certificate, it should cost no more than 300 baht or so.

I think your post is genuine, and you just freaking out over nothing.

If your company demands you do a blood in the office or go to a specified hospital they are most likely trying to make you quit.

Do not worry, Thailand is a nice place, you just have to go through the motions.

No, Im not in Bangkok. What I'm saying is the medical certificate is simply a formality. Just find a local clinic that will do the medical certificate, it should cost no more than 300 baht or so.

I think your post is genuine, and you just freaking out over nothing.

If your company demands you do a blood in the office or go to a specified hospital they are most likely trying to make you quit.

Do not worry, Thailand is a nice place, you just have to go through the motions.

My company doesn't insist on going to a particular hospital though for testing.

I am really freaking out because of two things:

1. I don't want anybody know I once had syphilis (especially people in the company).
2. I would still like to work in Thailand in the next five years or more, so I need a work permit; thus, the need for the medical cert to say i'm non-reactive to syphilis.

I'm not too concerned about the disease itself because it was stage 1 and that i know it is 100% sure curable. And i believe after i got the shot 3 months ago, I am now treated. Except that the blood test can stay positive for some reasons.

My place requires a syphilis test every contract renewal.

It's not the employer; it's the ministry of labour mandating this.

MoL only accepts proper lab tests. So going to a random clinic that clearly does not have such testing facility will surely  raise suspicion. However, I have heard of a gentleman obtaining a medical certificate declaring "non-reactive " for a syphilis test,  despite him suffering from the decease at stage 2. What the expenses and modalities were I didn't inquire at the time; he made it out that it wasn't too difficult.

1 minute ago, john011 said:

My company doesn't insist on going to a particular hospital though for testing.

I am really freaking out because of two things:

1. I don't want anybody know I once had syphilis (especially people in the company).
2. I would still like to work in Thailand in the next five years or more, so I need a work permit; thus, the need for the medical cert to say i'm non-reactive to syphilis.

I'm not too concerned about the disease itself because it was stage 1 and that i know it is 100% sure curable. And i believe after i got the shot 3 months ago, I am now treated. Except that the blood test can stay positive for some reasons.

Most any clinic in Thailand is run by an off hours Doctor from a major hospital. In Bangkok, there is probably one 500m from you. 

Just go there, say you need a medical certificate for your work permit. Do not mention anything about the syphilis . 

You will be in and out in 10 minutes at very little cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morakot said:

It's not the employer; it's the ministry of labour mandating this.

MoL only accepts proper lab tests. So going to a random clinic that clearly does not have such testing facility will surely  raise suspicion. However, I have heard of a gentleman obtaining a medical certificate declaring "non-reactive " for a syphilis test,  despite him suffering from the decease at stage 2. What the expenses and modalities were I didn't inquire at the time; he made it out that it wasn't too difficult.

Sorry, Im sure you're a nice guy, but you are fear mongering. If the OP gets an approved medical certificate from an authorized source, the guilt is not on him.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to cause panic.

The required medical documents I had to submit since the second year onwards working here, were lab reports that specify a certain reading; these lab reports were submitted together with a signed certificate by the doctor.

Have you or anyone successfully submitted such a medical certificate without lab reports?

Here my colleague's certificate from last year. Test.jpg

Edited by Morakot

I'm sorry I didn't mean to cause panic.

The required medical documents I had to submit since the second year onwards working here, were lab reports that specify a certain reading; these lab reports were submitted together with a signed certificate by the doctor.

Have you or anyone successfully submitted such a medical certificate without lab reports?

Here my colleague's certificate from last year. Test.jpg.8045144bda3a80f464ff9fcbac064a67.jpg

This is exactly what I submit every year upon renewal of my work permit. And my company is always looking at the "non-reactive" result of the syphilis test, every time we submit this lab result to the company liaison officer.

And this is what worries me by the time I go for the test to get a medical certificate for work permit renewal.

From what I understand it is possible to do what you want to do: to protect your privacy and retain your employment prospect.

But I'm not  sure if it is possible to walk into a random clinic and get a certification by visual examination that would fulfil  MoL requirements. I'm sorry I don't know how to do it, but if I were you I would start right away and see what your test says and than take it from there with caution and level headedness talking to your trusted physician.

From what I understand it is possible to do what you want to do: to protect your privacy and retain your employment prospect.

But I'm not  sure if it is possible to walk into a random clinic and get a certification by visual examination that would fulfil  MoL requirements. I'm sorry I don't know how to do it, but if I were you I would start right away and see what your test says and than take it from there with caution and level headedness talking to your trusted physician.

I will go for my blood testing next week hopefully, as i am advised to have my blood checked 3 months after i got the penicillin shot. Next week will be exactly 3 months. Based on the result next week, I will make necessary decisions on the next steps. I would have to inform my doctor that i really need to have a medical certificate that says "nonreactive". I am really hoping the doctor will help me by all means.