Fisheries expert suspects something wrong with the Thai sea

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, retarius said:

Well I for one will be happy if this leads to a reduction in tourism, which will mean cheaper hotel rooms, less crowded and cleaner beaches. But Thailand definitely has 'something' as the tourist numbers go up every year. In reality the whales might have been anywhere around the globe, Fukushima for example, and got an overdose of radiation. Next step: form a committee with some sib-committees.

Yes the old rob Peter to pay Paul mentality would be in trouble. 

7 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I can't imagine what's wrong with the ocean???

f45cf0d09a2b0e3d5e432d252dd030c7.jpg

Open the whale and you may find enough plastic to create an umbrella big enough to cover the whole walking street...

Plastic debris in the sea is a growing issue world wide.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/30/plastic-debris-killing-sperm-whales

Edited by ttrd

7 hours ago, alwaysrainsinUK said:

Lest we forget   Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster 

actually Fukushima is  one of the few NON-causative issues; the air-borne radiation plume, as well as the radiation-laden water currents, do NOT come anywhere near the Gulf of Thailand or the Andaman (but ARE blanketing North America)...

the Thai pollution would be combo of plastic and sewage along with agricultural chemical runoff (not to mention factories, etc)

my fisherman friends on and near our island have been talking for several years how the amount of fish is quite depleted, and many are neither as large nor healthy as before...

11 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

actually Fukushima is  one of the few NON-causative issues; the air-borne radiation plume, as well as the radiation-laden water currents, do NOT come anywhere near the Gulf of Thailand or the Andaman (but ARE blanketing North America)...

the Thai pollution would be combo of plastic and sewage along with agricultural chemical runoff (not to mention factories, etc)

my fisherman friends on and near our island have been talking for several years how the amount of fish is quite depleted, and many are neither as large nor healthy as before...

I guess with fish two heads are not better than one. Sorry its a serious topic just had to slide it in. 

3 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

This has a lot of truth . i was in Hong Kong and green areas on the map were mostly concrete with a few patches of vegetation not a park as I expected it to be.

The least they could do is paint the concrete green or put down some Astro turf. 

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

A committee needs to be formed to investigate the impact of marine life relieving themselves in the ocean.

Theyll need at the very least to fly to Hawaii, the Pacific  islands and The Bahamas to check this out..........just hire the whole plane eh? might be cheaper.........after the investigation which will of course blame "anyone" not  Thailand they can carry on ignoring it

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

Yes its filthy and extremely polluted that's why I will never swim in it, or eat thai seafood.  Waste and sewage is drained directly into the sea, when you treat your environment as a toilet what do you expect.

Ah - the good old Thai Bashing is alive and well on Thai Visa

Check out Victoria, BC Canada - where they have been dumping raw sewage directly in the ocean forever. Just got approval for a sewage treatment plant

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/crd-victoria-sewage-1.3762521

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There have been several reports recently saying the waters around Thailand are seriously polluted, so it is no surprise that things swimming in it are dying.

Thailand is barely acknowledging the problem, far less doing anything about it, so expect to hear more reports of dead fish/whales soon.

and then there is Cambodia and Vietnam all polluting there coastlines right next door  ... the Gulf is a relatively shallow, large body of water that does not quickly flush  so pollution is magnified compared to the west coast, which also doesn't have the industrial pollution or sewage from the larger population centres of Bangkok & surrounds 

Just now, oby said:

Please Google whale deaths around the world.

Discover Thailand whale death is Insignificant   compared to say Canada where routinely 100's wash up or beach themselves.

Why u so down on Thailand?

Many countries experience fish death ,  many human feet wash up in canada.

..??

'

Huh? Selective misuse of figures? :whistling:

I would think there would be far more whales in Canadian waters than Thai waters, hence a larger number of deaths occur. Whales washing up on beaches is a phenomenon not unknown in many parts of the world.

2 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Think they need a crack down on

sea creatures entering the Gulf of Thailand and killing themselves.

This sort of behaviour  could  ruin the image of  Thailand. :smile:

I agree, same things seems to happen to farangs  :cheesy: 

6 hours ago, harryviking said:

dead whales found elsewhere were full of plastic!  probably same cause here. oceans are dying...and we will follow after that...sad but true.

And after mankind is extinct, the earth and its oceans will recover in no time. 

I hope they ask for help to find out just what is going on,cause this is above thailands pay grade

Ok so asians dont give a stink about there oceans but they sure love sea food.

I cought a small mahi mahi a few years ago and after i ate it i was throwing up. I know it was the fish.

I never fish and i dont eat sea food ever.

I sail the coast from phuket to malaysia monthly and let me tell you its getting so bad.debris and its all plastics.rice bags are in the majority.

The number of fishing boats i see must be in the thousands  in the 120 mile stretch.always has been for 10 years.

Contrary the western sumatra coast i see a few dozen in the 400 mile stretch i cruise.

Thailand is raping every last fish in there back yard sea.

Wake up its already way past youre time to do so.

10 hours ago, Thechook said:

Yes its filthy and extremely polluted that's why I will never swim in it, or eat thai seafood.  Waste and sewage is drained directly into the sea, when you treat your environment as a toilet what do you expect.

True, people must be so stupid to swim in the sea ! Totally agree that I still don't understand why they do it when swimming pools are everywhere.

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

Of course you can! It´s the tourists and all the foreigners. I clearly recall that they wrote an article about that all foreigners should act more responsible and not throw garbage on the beaches.
And now the whales and the nature are suffering! Bad, bad farangs, because we need somebody to blame for not standing stupid with a long nose!

Farangs ? maybe ?! but I can't recall how many times i drove my car behind a Thai car and the Thai family threw out some garbage on the side of the road...

2 hours ago, Mook23 said:

And after mankind is extinct, the earth and its oceans will recover in no time. 

Hmmm,....not sure about your statement, after humans are gone the pollution will still be there and Fukushima will still spill its nuclear radiation into the sea...

The damage is beyond repair....there is not one politician in the world that will take a concrete immediate desiccation, they all take decisions that will be implemented in the future in 10, 15, 20 years...  when it can not affect there political career anymore. we are governed by wimps, cowards and irresponsible politicians.

Edited by off road pat

In my 17 years in Thailand I only swam in the sea once on my first visit to Ko Samui 16 years ago but after reading about all the rubbish and sewage dumped in the sea then by the Thai people back then I just stuck to the condo pools and hotel pools never bothered with the sea again. But for people who like the beach holidays I am sure Thailand will soon be getting the thumbs down for The Beach holiday, but I still eat the sea food in Thailand will take a bit more to stop me from eating that, when I visit again.   

17 minutes ago, Jim walker said:

In my 17 years in Thailand I only swam in the sea once on my first visit to Ko Samui 16 years ago but after reading about all the rubbish and sewage dumped in the sea then by the Thai people back then I just stuck to the condo pools and hotel pools never bothered with the sea again. But for people who like the beach holidays I am sure Thailand will soon be getting the thumbs down for The Beach holiday, but I still eat the sea food in Thailand will take a bit more to stop me from eating that, when I visit again.   

Me too, I will never swim in that dump anymore until the rets of my life, because I have a brain !

1 hour ago, off road pat said:

Hmmm,....not sure about your statement, after humans are gone the pollution will still be there and Fukushima will still spill its nuclear radiation into the sea...

The damage is beyond repair....there is not one politician in the world that will take a concrete immediate desiccation, they all take decisions that will be implemented in the future in 10, 15, 20 years...  when it can not affect there political career anymore. we are governed by wimps, cowards and irresponsible politicians.

In no time as in time scaled on earth not humans. The planet was here for billions of years we are just here a fraction. Once we leave, the planet gets back to its universal time scale and even radioactivity will be battled by nature and evolution. Life on earth has almost vanished before caused by much MAJOR natural disasters. Mankind is very very insignificant on universal scale. The plastic in the seas might be battled eventually by mutated algae who will clean it. We know nothing about earth and nature's potential.

Edited by Mook23