Yale brand door hardware problems

notrub

I have bought 6 lever type door catches (knobs) for my new house.  3 of the 6 have been faulty and Home pro have been kind enough to help me by replacing them.  I looked at the guarantee on the little leaflet in the package and it simply states that the item is guaranteed for faulty manufacturing.  The problems have happened after only a month or 2 of use and I wonder if anyone can comment on this guarantee and if it even exists.  Other companies like Solo have a big note on the pack stating 5 years guarantee.  Yale is a reputable name but I wonder if the guarantee is only for 'until you leave the shop.'  Thanks.

I bought Yale furniture for all my doors and I am very happy with it. you can hear the quality of latch levers.....that smooth, soft latch closing like the sound of an Aston Marten door...clunk click.

I have just dug out the guarantee.

its a bit wishy washy actually and is just  a paragraph at the end of the fitting instruction sheet.

there is no time limit for a start....how good is that!!!

There are a few conditions though and the big one here is....well read for yourself

Guarantee:

The Yale Guarantee covers all Yale products against defects and workmanship and materials 

ASSA ABLOY assume no liability for the following:

1.improper installation or failure to follow fitting instructions

2. failure due to  improper maintenance or fair wear and tear

3. indirect or consequential loss or damage

4.cost of removal and/or replacement

5. cost of freight and/or travelling time

the plated finishes antique bronze, antique brass, polished brass, satin nickel and satin brass are classified as soft finishes   (ie not stainless...my comment)

As deterioration is possible under some climatic conditions, these finishes cannot be unconditionally guaranteed.

for info; Assa Abloy is a Swedish lock manufacturer, in fact the Worlds biggest lock manufacturer. Then Yale or Multilock come along with their packaging designs.

of course being here in Thailand I am biased against real tradesmen so my first reaction here is to be a bit cynical and start blaming "labour workmanship"

what is your problem ? how did it manifest?

Before i chose mine I first decided on the style and then went to the hardware displays in the big box stores.

I spent some considerable time playing with the levers,pulling them trying to break them like a kid would do.

Then same at the nrxt place.

After a while to get to know how robust they feel act.

The thing i dont approve of here is having to cut out a 50mm diam hole and leaving no guts to actually fix the handle.

One easy kick and handle will fall out with half the door.

I also find doors are too narrow to properly recess the forend plate.

Western ironmongery on Eastern doors.

Its like mixing metric with imperial ....but of course they do that oftrn

Thanks Eyecatcher.  The equipment has been installed correctly using hole saw and boring bit the correct size.  There are 6 handles and the first one failed just at the time of installation.  The unit just froze and would not open.  The latch assembly was distorted when I finally got it out.  I bent it back into the right shape and re installed the unit.  Failed again.  Returned it to Home pro and they eventually gave me a replacement.  Second failure the key just turned in the barrel and did not engage the locking mechanism.  Third fail was same as the first.  The latch assembly just froze.  Eventually got the door open and took them back.  They replaced the latch assembly and did something to fix the lock problem.  Fortunately I had access to both sides of the doors and so could wiggle and remove the handle.  If the problem occurred in a closed room then I don't know how I could have gotten them out and replaced w/o lots of damage.  I read the guarantee too and responsibility for manufacturing is pretty limited and it could be said failure is due to wear and tear I suppose.  Even after 1 day.  I saw a Solo brand handle with  big 5 year guarantee graphics on the package.  The Yale was about 600 THB and the Solo price is similar.  They are being OK at Homepro but they did mention the 15 day limit on every occasion and also that the package was not as new.  (!)  Just to say that I am a carpenter with over 40 years of hands on experience and have had my own business for a long time too.  These units failed, either through faulty design or material not up to the job.  There is no way these should have failed after such a short time with limited residential use in my private home.  I now leave a key for the sliding door outside in the event the the front door fails to open   I will stick to products made in Thailand in the future.

I've had excellent results with Tesa locks, Icon Locks and Icon door hardware I purchased in Buriram. I have met Miss Vicky who is the Daughter of the owner of Icon Hardware in Thailand. Her family is both a manufacturer in Thailand of Icon locks and hardware,  and distributor of  Icon quality locks and the Assa Abloy brand Tesa locks in Thailand. Miss Vicky graduated from University of San Francisco. Her understanding of customer satisfaction might be different from a company official who did not live and shop in a Western Country. She has shopped in Costco, Home Depot and Lowe's in the San Francisco Peninsula. You might not find Icon locks at every Homepro store in Thailand. I found Icon locks at a family owned Isaan hardware store and then learned about Tesa locks.  Better resorts and hotels are often the end users of Tesa locks in Thailand.  I've seen Mult T Lock in Bangkok at selected Home pro stores. That line of residential door locks is far superior to Solo Brand or Yale Brand. It only takes one time for a lock to fail to make you forget the few hundred baht you saved buying Yale or Hafele which are made in China.  Residential doors are available in Thailand thicker than 35mm.  I would never settle for less than stainless 304, four ball bearing, five hole door hinges in Thailand. Reputable hardware manufacturers will indicate those important details. Solo used to make decent door hinges for sale in Thailand. Icon current offers excellent door hinges. Note the noisy door hinges in any "Hop Inn".  

Vicky of Icon Architecural Hardware Thailand.JPG

Icon Tesa Assa Abloy Door Lever Handle Lock Sets Buriram Thailand.JPG