ED visa : Maximum 18 months ?

Hello from Chiang Mai,

I just enrolled in a one year course for the first time and I might say that it is better than I thought, most students in my classroom really want to learn and the teacher is quite good.

I read in many places that it is possible to renew the course for a total of 3 years. But on some posts, it seems that it is just for a year and half. Quite confusing ?!?

I see this ED visa a great solution to stay with my newborn son and his mother while learning to read and write in Thai. Then I will be able to assist my son when he will start to read and write himself.

So my question is to know if ED visa is allowed for total of 3 years or only a year and half.

Thank You and wishing you have a good day !

• Like 1

In the past it was 3 years. Since they increased the hours for a course of study from 200 hours to 400 hours per year it only 18 months now.

After the first year you will have to go out for a new non-ed visa to complete the additional 6 months.

If you can find a school that offers advanced studies you can get another year after the 18 months.

Thanks a lot for your answer UbonJoe.

II don't think that my school would qualify to offer advanced studies.

Do you know if Chiang Mai university would offer those advanced studies ? I wanted to enroll with them at first but since they absolutely need a criminal record, whatever the nationality, I declined this opportunity as the paperwork would need extra times.

Thank You

44 minutes ago, alextrp77777 said:

Do you know if Chiang Mai university would offer those advanced studies ?

Yes they do.

42 minutes ago, alextrp77777 said:

Another question (Sorry) : Enrolling for another language course than Thai would allow another 1 year and half ED visa (so it makes a total of 3 years over 2 different language) ?

Yes you can.

Ubon are these the rules for all embassies/consulates?

Because at the moment applicants for ED Visa get rejected at Penang consulate when they have already stayed in Thailand for more than a year. 

No matter if they have stayed in Thailand on tourist visa or on another ED Visa.

48 minutes ago, sjeniet said:

Ubon are these the rules for all embassies/consulates?

Because at the moment applicants for ED Visa get rejected at Penang consulate when they have already stayed in Thailand for more than a year. 

No matter if they have stayed in Thailand on tourist visa or on another ED Visa.

What I wrote about is for getting visas and extension of stay.

I have seen no recent reports of Penang not issuing a non-ed visa if you have been here for more than a year.

Ok, but that is what I hear is that at the moment people get rejected in Penang, when they apply for another ED visa, if they have stayed more than a year in Thailand. Even if they have stayed here on a tourist visa, and haven't had an ED visa before.

Edited by sjeniet

If there was in fact any rejecting of non-ed visas going on, perhaps it would only be language school visas being rejected. There are many other things people can study that require ed visas and it would seem quite harsh if ppl were being automatically rejected just for having a passport that shows they have been in the country for a year.

20 hours ago, alextrp77777 said:

Do you know if Chiang Mai university would offer those advanced studies ? I wanted to enroll with them at first but since they absolutely need a criminal record, whatever the nationality, I declined this opportunity as the paperwork would need extra times.

Thank You

it is easy to get a criminal record report!!!!!

21 hours ago, alextrp77777 said:

Hello from Chiang Mai,

I just enrolled in a one year course for the first time and I might say that it is better than I thought, most students in my classroom really want to learn and the teacher is quite good.

I read in many places that it is possible to renew the course for a total of 3 years. But on some posts, it seems that it is just for a year and half. Quite confusing ?!?

I see this ED visa a great solution to stay with my newborn son and his mother while learning to read and write in Thai. Then I will be able to assist my son when he will start to read and write himself.

So my question is to know if ED visa is allowed for total of 3 years or only a year and half.

Thank You and wishing you have a good day !

I am not the expert here (Ubon Joe is). I do know that you can get a full year extension to stay if your son is Thai national (i.e Thai mother!) and you are the legal father (married or properly legalised by the family court). Also, assuming you are father/mother or of Thai national living in Thailand, the country cannot deny your right to visit your child (or spouse in the case of marriage) by international convention and law. 

For the year long extension you must also be living with your child as a family. (valid until your child is 15 years old or still in full-time education until aged 20.

the legalisation of fatherhood. What I did..enjoy non-o visa get 60 day extension just before it ended and then before that ended applied for the yearly (I am not married!) then produced all the documents for yearly one towards the end of a second 60 day extension (as I was applying for yearly visa or whatever the reason was I got it. 90 days..+60 +60 +1 year = 17 months! nice!

Edit: My first 60 day extension was due to not having all the documents from the family court ready in time. Second 60 day..I applied late for the one year extension. The office I applied to had to send the application else where (Nakon Ratachisma). At the end of the 60 days knowing I would get the extentionI then got the yearly! mind be worth your while keeping that in mind! 

Edited by DerekMarshall

I also got rejected in Ho Chi Minh because I had a 2 tourist visas in my passport. If you want to stay in Thailand start looking for a long term solution rather than keep kicking the can down the road. It is a painful reminder every time I had to go to immigration to extend my ed visa. I would follow DerekMarshall advice. I rather save the money and learn on my own. 

21 hours ago, alextrp77777 said:

Thank You

Can I ask you how much your ED course cost in total and do you have to report to immigration every 90 days?

Yes the ones that get rejected in Penang is students from language schools, that apply for another ED Visa. Or people that have been living in Thailand more than a year on tourist visa, and now want an ED Visa from a language school. 

These people get rejected at the moment in Penang. The rules have changed by March 1.

That is what I have heard.

I was told by a school, that this is what you can do:

1. Apply for a new passport at your embassy

2. Exit Thailand on you old passport (Before picking op the new)
(Very important to exit on your old passport first, to get the visa exempt in step 3. Otherwise they will transfer your ED visa stamp to the new passport, and then you can't do this)

3. Enter Thailand on your old passport, and get the 30 days visa exempt

4. Pick up your new passport. Your embassy will cancel the old one

5. Exit Thailand with both passports by Air. They will transfer the last passport stamp - your 30 days visa exempt to the new passport, when you exit.

6. Enter Thailand and get a new 30 days Visa Exempt

7. Go to the Thai School and sign up for your course. They will do the paperwork based on your new passport, which don't have any history of ED stays. The MOE (Ministary of Education) can't se the immigration history from the old passport. And they will approve the necessary documents.

8. Go to Laos, Vientiane or Savannakhet, and apply for a Non-ED visa.

9. Enter Thailand - Go to your classes for another 18 month.

Another think you can do if you don't want to get a new passport, is simply to sign up for Russian, French course. You can do a language for up to 18 month.

*Disclaimer: I haven't done this myself (yet), but this is how i was instructed to do it by a Thai Language School in Bangkok.