Flight upgrades...

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I can easily understand this if Emirates keeps giving away there Business Class Seats to anyone, and to the point that Economy is better. This would be the normal course of actions as Business Class Passangers would see no point in paying extra. Which appears to be happening here now. Perhaps why this Airline lost so many points recently, and will continie to be on a downward slide. This is what I have been saying all along. 

Not sure if people don't talk about it and in getting cheaper seats. I recall a few times when I flew Economy Class, Egypt for one, that the last ones to Board where Standby, and the guy sitting next me was bragging how he got his seat at half price. But I never encountered this on Businness Class, and never suspected this, so I don't know.

But other than Emorates I don't know of any other Airlines that gives out Business Class Seats like Candy. For sure none that I travel on. I do recall one Airline Employee, who was travelling Business Class as a Captian or something, as he was still in uniform, but he was at the back and got no sepecial treatment I could see, Perhaps an employee benefit, or asked to go because he needed to fly somelace else. He never had a drink, so I don't know.  

I don't think Emirates were or are handing out BC seats like candy. What they are doing is being innovative in shifting some seats. For my BKK-SYD-BKK upgrades each way I had to pay an extra $900 on top of the price of the original Economy Class seat. Certainly not a no-brainer for a lot of people. But I am weak :smile:. So this worked out in total maybe ~ 65-70% of the straight BC seat purchase on offer at that time. And in addition Emirates cut access to the Lounges with these upgrades. So gaming the system not so straightforward once one throws this in with the uncertainty of not knowing until late if the offer is going to be made.

Edited by SheungWan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is worth noting re 'biddable' upgrades that Cathay are having a go for the second time, but check the small print. A couple of years ago I bought a CP special offer LHR-BKK with LHR-HKG in PE and HKG-BKK in BUS. I hoped to get on the bidding routine for the first leg. Only when I checked the small print did I discover that Cathay only have selected routes on offer and LHR-HKG wasn't one of them. And not now either (probably because it is one of the flagship routes). Anyway, as it turned out, arriving and leaving BKK in BUS makes a big difference to one's hold on sanity progressing through BKK airport.

Edited by SheungWan

48 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I don't think Emirates were or are handing out BC seats like candy. What they are doing is being innovative in shifting some seats. For my BKK-SYD-BKK upgrades each way I had to pay an extra $900 on top of the price of the original Economy Class seat. Certainly not a no-brainer for a lot of people. But I am weak :smile:. So this worked out in total maybe ~ 65-70% of the straight BC seat purchase on offer at that time. And in addition Emirates cut access to the Lounges with these upgrades. So gaming the system not so straightforward once one throws this in with the uncertainty of not knowing until late if the offer is going to be made.

Seems like a fare price for an upgrade. Don't know why they should cut some other benefits. That is what I pay and nothing is cut. But then if you have a Gold Card, you will still get many of them anyway. 

Just now, GOLDBUGGY said:

Seems like a fare price for an upgrade. Don't know why they should cut some other benefits. That is what I pay and nothing is cut. But then if you have a Gold Card, you will still get many of them anyway. 

IMHO Emirates cut the other benefits (ie access to Lounges) to dissuade the regular BC travellers from gaming the system.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:18 PM, SheungWan said:

IMHO Emirates cut the other benefits (ie access to Lounges) to dissuade the regular BC travellers from gaming the system.

Indeed thats why Emirates have changed their policy on upgrades,

Previously upgrades were based on  status  now however its based on  a mixture of status and fare category. Full flex economy ticket and basic blue member has a better chance of an upgrade than Gold members paying

normal saver ticket !

57 minutes ago, Brown1950 said:

Previously upgrades were based on  status  now however its based on  a mixture of status and fare category. Full flex economy ticket and basic blue member has a better chance of an upgrade than Gold members paying

normal saver ticket !

The upgrades I am referring to are paid-for upgrades. The criteria you are referring to are the freebies I think. Back on the paid-for trail, I used to pay for what I would call a mini-upgrade on Cathay. Pay an extra $100 for long-haul and $25 for short-haul reservation of emergency exit seats. This facility still exists: Upside: infinite legroom and nobody in front of you. Downside: narrower seats with fixed armrests, colder location and on the old 747s the possible joy of having the toilet door flapping around within one's viewing area. I finally cracked when the 747s were put out to pasture in favour of the 777 and introduction of PE meant that the economy emergency exit row moved from row 44 to row 59. I have had enough of this I screamed to myself with nobody listening or caring. No more back of the plane. Upgrade or Death.

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2017 at 2:49 AM, Brown1950 said:

normal saver ticket !

And on some airlines having a relative on staff helps to get regular upgrades, never mind frequent flyer members with thousands of points.