Flight upgrades...

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Earlier this year I booked a BKK-SYD-BKK in Economy and then paid an extra $450 each way nearer the journey dates with Emirates. Its not really a bidding process.

I was thinking of the upgrade auctions that some (not all) airlines do about 3 days before the flight when there happens to be excess space available. These really are auctions as the winning price will depend on the number of people who make bids.

For me this is just too unreliable and I would rather just pay upfront and be sure. By picking the right airline and buying at the right time it is usually possible to get a big discount on the full business fare anyway, as mentioned.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/17/2017 at 11:33 AM, robertthebruce said:

I always fly "Business Class" as I like the Flat Bed and the civilisation of it all..

fortunate I know......., but it's worth it.....

I do to, but it is not all about the Flat Beds on aircraft like the "Dreamliner". Which I agree is very nice. 

This also includes Priority Check-in and Baggage Handling. (Never lost a bag yet this way and my bag is also one of the first to get off the carousel). Priority Boarding, which eliminates a lot of the pushing and shoving just to get on the airplane and then trying to find a place to put your carry-on bag, and also the first one off to get to Immigration. Priority Immigration, which cuts the line up time by at least in half. Business Class Lounge Access, which is a good way to wait on long hauls and when you have a connecting flight. Bonus Miles, which doubles your air miles if you are a frequent flyer. Better Service on the airplane to,

For just one flight the economics probably doesn't make the upgrade worth it. But for frequent flyers, it is the only way to travel.  

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I was thinking of the upgrade auctions that some (not all) airlines do about 3 days before the flight when there happens to be excess space available. These really are auctions as the winning price will depend on the number of people who make bids.

For me this is just too unreliable and I would rather just pay upfront and be sure. By picking the right airline and buying at the right time it is usually possible to get a big discount on the full business fare anyway, as mentioned.

I refuse to fly with airlines who would hold such auctions. I pay full price and on many of my flights while travelling Business Class, the seats were practically empty while Economy Class was full to the last seat. Which as a result I got better and quicker service and the toilet was almost free all through the flight. 

It is one thing if the airline wants to fill these seats and reduces the Business Class Price for everyone, to do this. It is another to simply hold an auction, and let them be filled by someone who may not have paid extra. Why should I pay almost twice as much for the same seat and flight and then have to climb over someone to go to the Business Class Toilet, when it is finally empty, who got the same seat as me for half price? How long do you think it would take to scare away your normal Business Class Passangers? I know I would quickly change airlines if this was constantly happening to me.  

32 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I refuse to fly with airlines who would hold such auctions. I pay full price and on many of my flights while travelling Business Class, the seats were practically empty while Economy Class was full to the last seat. Which as a result I got better and quicker service and the toilet was almost free all through the flight. 

It is one thing if the airline wants to fill these seats and reduces the Business Class Price for everyone, to do this. It is another to simply hold an auction, and let them be filled by someone who may not have paid extra. Why should I pay almost twice as much for the same seat and flight and then have to climb over someone to go to the Business Class Toilet, when it is finally empty, who got the same seat as me for half price? How long do you think it would take to scare away your normal Business Class Passangers? I know I would quickly change airlines if this was constantly happening to me.  

I've flown with airlines that do these auctions, and with airlines that dont. With each airline I've been in cabins that are full or nearly empty or anywhere in between. So I would say that the auction thing doesnt seem to make a lot of difference, as even if the airline doesnt do an auction they may upgrade frequent flyers, or their own nationals, or relatives and friends of cabin crew, or anyone the check-in girl likes the look of. The trick is to pick a flight that simply isnt popular, as that way there will be plenty of space all round. Last year I was one of only three people in a twelve-seater business class cabin flying into BKK, and that was on an airline that does auctions and also is one the cheapest business class operators into Thailand anyway. Service and meals were all fine. And the price I paid for getting such a nice seat in such an empty cabin was that I had spent the previous 12 hours in a 4-star beach-front hotel at the airline's expense eating some rather good free food and testing their sunloungers. It was tough, but I forced myself.

Personally I dont care much about slow service or having to wait a minute or two for the toilets. I'm in a comfy seat and I'm not in a hurry. My main interest in business class is getting a flat-bed seat and fast-track at the airport, lounge access, and a decent meal and drinks on board. I dont do auctions for the reasons I mentioned previously, but I've never paid full fare for any ticket, and hopefully never will, and I suspect that generally I am the person you dont like being next to because you know I have paid less than you.

Also I wonder exactly what type of plane you fly in that requires you to clamber over people as when I pick an airline to fly business class with one of my main criteria is them having seats with direct and unshared aisle access. For this I tend to favour a window seat in the modern reverse herringbone 1-2-1 layout, or a centre seat on the 2-2-2 layout used in B777s by companies like Qatar (though in the latter there is so much pitch between each row that this is hardly a problem). Or perhaps you are talking about "Euro business" in small planes?

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The Emirates BKK-SYD-BKK upgrade offer was not an upgrade auction. It was a fixed price take it or leave it. As for picking the right airline, unfortunately some of those offering the cheapest BC seats have poor feedback on airlinequality.com And that is why I will take for example PE in Cathay over BC on Air China.

12 hours ago, SheungWan said:

That's pretty cheap. Probably worth a punt. However, doesn't really fit my schedule as I go to BKK via HKG and I just do not want to face an extra 2 flights, staggered or no. With regards to budget I think that PE is a worthwhile compromise if Business too expensive and I have just decided that flying PE with Cathay Pacific is preferable to pratting around with other airlines.

We tagged a weekend break in the Scandi-city where QR dropped us off which, despite almost giving my wallet a nervous breakdown, was a pleasant way to break up the journey. PE's manageable, done it once, but you don't get the airport lounges, and I do enjoy the good quality wines up at the front.

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The Emirates BKK-SYD-BKK upgrade offer was not an upgrade auction. It was a fixed price take it or leave it.

That's better than an auction but you still run the risk of them not offering the upgrade at all, or at a very high price. A risk I'm not prepared to take.

Sad sack , you can do the same and bid for first class, then you nose will stick even further out . CHEERS [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That's better than an auction but you still run the risk of them not offering the upgrade at all, or at a very high price. A risk I'm not prepared to take.

I think it is a judgement call on the route, airline and pocket. If I was making another short trip to SYD I might do the same thing with Emirates. For LHR-HKG-BKK it really depends for me on what is on offer from Cathay.

5 hours ago, Khun Han said:

We tagged a weekend break in the Scandi-city where QR dropped us off which, despite almost giving my wallet a nervous breakdown, was a pleasant way to break up the journey. PE's manageable, done it once, but you don't get the airport lounges, and I do enjoy the good quality wines up at the front.

I agree that BUS infinitely better than PE and have a points upgrade to BUS next week LHR-HKG. IMHO for frequent flyers using points for upgrade is a good focus. However still on Waitlist upgrade for the return. The full-price Bus eye-watering for Cathay. Its all about the alternatives.

Edited by SheungWan

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

I agree that BUS infinitely better than PE and have a points upgrade to BUS next week LHR-HKG. IMHO for frequent flyers using points for upgrade is a good focus. However still on Waitlist upgrade for the return. The full-price Bus eye-watering for Cathay. Its all about the alternatives.

Yes, anyone who flies long-haul regularly and doesn't utilise the airlines' flyer schemes is missing out big time. And the more you understand about the interaction of a lot of the schemes (hotel groups and retail outlets too), the more you can make them work for you. Full price biz in long-haul is usually eye-watering, even with the crappy airlines. That's why, if you do a fair bit of long-haul travel, it's a good idea to put in a bit of regular internet footwork. I was chatting with a mate yesterday about this, who got Manchester to Bangkok with Cathay in biz over the christmas holiday on a past trip for about £1400.

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Yes, anyone who flies long-haul regularly and doesn't utilise the airlines' flyer schemes is missing out big time. And the more you understand about the interaction of a lot of the schemes (hotel groups and retail outlets too), the more you can make them work for you. Full price biz in long-haul is usually eye-watering, even with the crappy airlines. That's why, if you do a fair bit of long-haul travel, it's a good idea to put in a bit of regular internet footwork. I was chatting with a mate yesterday about this, who got Manchester to Bangkok with Cathay in biz over the christmas holiday on a past trip for about £1400.

No way.

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I've flown with airlines that do these auctions, and with airlines that dont. With each airline I've been in cabins that are full or nearly empty or anywhere in between. So I would say that the auction thing doesnt seem to make a lot of difference, as even if the airline doesnt do an auction they may upgrade frequent flyers, or their own nationals, or relatives and friends of cabin crew, or anyone the check-in girl likes the look of. The trick is to pick a flight that simply isnt popular, as that way there will be plenty of space all round. Last year I was one of only three people in a twelve-seater business class cabin flying into BKK, and that was on an airline that does auctions and also is one the cheapest business class operators into Thailand anyway. Service and meals were all fine. And the price I paid for getting such a nice seat in such an empty cabin was that I had spent the previous 12 hours in a 4-star beach-front hotel at the airline's expense eating some rather good free food and testing their sunloungers. It was tough, but I forced myself.

Personally I dont care much about slow service or having to wait a minute or two for the toilets. I'm in a comfy seat and I'm not in a hurry. My main interest in business class is getting a flat-bed seat and fast-track at the airport, lounge access, and a decent meal and drinks on board. I dont do auctions for the reasons I mentioned previously, but I've never paid full fare for any ticket, and hopefully never will, and I suspect that generally I am the person you dont like being next to because you know I have paid less than you.

Also I wonder exactly what type of plane you fly in that requires you to clamber over people as when I pick an airline to fly business class with one of my main criteria is them having seats with direct and unshared aisle access. For this I tend to favour a window seat in the modern reverse herringbone 1-2-1 layout, or a centre seat on the 2-2-2 layout used in B777s by companies like Qatar (though in the latter there is so much pitch between each row that this is hardly a problem). Or perhaps you are talking about "Euro business" in small planes?

Well first of all I fly mostly the Boeing 787 which they also call the :"Dreamliner". They call it the "Dreamliner" for a good reason. It is one of there biggest and widest airplanes, The seat arrangement in Business Class is the 2-2-2 arrangemnt in 4 rows and they are all Lazy-Z lay out flat seats.

So out of a total of 24 seats, there is 8 Window Seats and 16 Isle Seats. So if this airline acutioned off all the Business Class Seats to the highest bidder, as you claim, you have 8 possibilities of being trapped in a Window Seat with somebody laying next to you. I am not sure what you don't understand about that? 

I am not against airlines giving upgraded seats to frequent flyers, I myself have taken Business Class trips just using air miles. They earned those points by making frequent trips on a loyalty program. So in my book they have earned the right to be there. But if you are now talking about some Check In Girl handing out Business Class Tickets like Candy Wrappers, to all sorts of frineds and family, then I am totally against this.

Besdies that I am sure that all airlines have some criteria in Upgrading to Business Class, and don't just leave it to the discression of the Check - In Sales Clerk. It may seem like it at the time, but I am sure it doesn't work that way. I can't comment on Airline Acutions for Business Class Seats because as I said I don't fly with these Airlines. I can't recall anyone who ever joined me in Business Class telling me he was on Standby and got his seat for half price. I also fly International a lot, so perhaps that makes the difference. 

It also needs to be mentioned that not all Airlines charge the same price for Business Class. Some Airlines are fare cheaper than others and even for the same route. Soe hold sales or special promotions, which I agree to as it is fare to all who buy a ticket. I agree that shopping around and timeing your ticket helps in the price. But I don't understand at all your comment on you never paying the "Full Fare": on any ticket because the trick is to pick a flight that simply isn't popular. 

So if I wanted to go to Canada or the UK to see family and friends, and the fare is too high, I should choose a Chinese Airline, or Russia one, and go to China or Russia instead? Airlines are experts when it comes to flying and custumer needs. These flights which you class as popular is because many people all want to go there at the same time. So since the airline knows it can sell many seats it charges a premium price for all seats. That is simply called Good Business.

So other then flying to Tim-Buck-Two, when nobody wants to go there, and buying your tikets early, what is your secret for never having to pay full price on Business Class Tickets?    . 

13 hours ago, Blinky62 said:

Sad sack , you can do the same and bid for first class, then you nose will stick even further out . CHEERS emoji482.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well Son, it is like anythig else in this World. If you want it you have to pay for it, and if you are like most people then you have to work for that to. Which is called the appreciation of hard earned money. 

It has nothing to do with sticking my nose up in the air to anyoe. In my case it comes from working in Jungles and Deserts most of my life, which now affords me the money to do this and a company willing to pay most of it for me. What is your excuse? 

Oh Yeah! Most Airlines don't have First Cllass on many flights anymore, icluding International. Which you would know if you flew a lot like me. 

8 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I think your mate has got his facts wrong.

It is possible to Upgrade using Air Miles and perhaps get this Business Class Seat for 1,400, (tax) but not during the Christmas Holidays. All Airlines I know of don't allow you to use Airmiles during that time.

To get a Business Class Seat during this time for only 1,400 would be next to impossible, I would think. 

2 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

It is possible to Upgrade using Air Miles and perhaps get this Business Class Seat for 1,400, (tax) but not during the Christmas Holidays. All Airlines I know of don't allow you to use Airmiles during that time.

To get a Business Class Seat during this time for only 1,400 would be next to impossible, I would think. 

I have no personal experience of Cathay, but Qatar's silly-cheap sales often have wide open availability. The flights I bagged last year were in August, which is the school summer holidays in Europe - absolutely peak. You can also factor in error fares (caused by such things as computer glitches/programming errors), which the better airlines honour more often than not. The fares are out there. Not all the time, and not for long. But they are there to be found.

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I have no personal experience of Cathay, but Qatar's silly-cheap sales often have wide open availability. The flights I bagged last year were in August, which is the school summer holidays in Europe - absolutely peak. You can also factor in error fares (caused by such things as computer glitches/programming errors), which the better airlines honour more often than not. The fares are out there. Not all the time, and not for long. But they are there to be found.

I think it depends on a lot to where you are going. If you left London for Bangkok in August, you will be arriving in Thailand during the low season. So you tickets would reflect that price. If you left the USA for Europe during this time, or vice versa, it would be High Season, as you said, and thus your ticket would reflect that new price. 

The "Absolute Peak: is during the Chrismas Season (anywhere) and starts about the last 2 weeks of December, until the first week or so in January. You may still be able to find some discounts, but only on Last Minute. Buying a Ticket early during this time won't help you very much, or not at all. You may even be paying more then. But the price you need to pay ahead of time to have a for sure seat on the airplane and when you want to go. 

Even then this can be debated as most Airline will Over Book there flights as many will not turn up on the day they are supposed to fly. But on some occassions they all do, or they Over Booked too much. Leaving not enough seats for all the passangers. This happened to me once when I was an Economy Class Passanger in Singapore.

I was given 2 choices. Upgrade to Business Class at full price, or Air Miles, or a night in a nice hotel, all expenses paid, plus some free Bonus Air Miles. Notice I wasn't upgraded to Business Class for free, so I took the Hotel as I had no other choice. I was also being paid for as soon as I left home, so a full days pay laying around the hotel and having a few beers sounded good to me then also. 

15 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I think it depends on a lot to where you are going. If you left London for Bangkok in August, you will be arriving in Thailand during the low season. So you tickets would reflect that price. If you left the USA for Europe during this time, or vice versa, it would be High Season, as you said, and thus your ticket would reflect that new price.

And your thinking would be wrong. Prices ex-Europe reflect European holiday periods for travel everywhere in the world, not the holiday seasons of the destinations. Do a search of prices to a random destination during any school holiday period, then do one for the same destination in term time to see this.

Edited by Khun Han

19 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I was given 2 choices. Upgrade to Business Class at full price, or Air Miles, or a night in a nice hotel, all expenses paid, plus some free Bonus Air Miles. Notice I wasn't upgraded to Business Class for free, so I took the Hotel as I had no other choice. I was also being paid for as soon as I left home, so a full days pay laying around the hotel and having a few beers sounded good to me then also. 

Which is the opposite of the one-and-only time we travelled in economy to BKK (from Manchester with Emirates) We did a stopover in Dubai on the way back to break up the killer journey, and we were the last to check in at DXB due to car hire issues. I got a free upgrade because economy was oversold, but my wife and kids were left at the back of the 'plane. The guy next to me had also been op-upped. Can't say I particularly enjoyed the experience though, as I had my youngest sat on my lap for most of the flight, messing about with the seat (up....down....up....down) whilst watching Cartoon Network on the IFE :laugh:.

9 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Which is the opposite of the one-and-only time we travelled in economy to BKK (from Manchester with Emirates) We did a stopover in Dubai on the way back to break up the killer journey, and we were the last to check in at DXB due to car hire issues. I got a free upgrade because economy was oversold, but my wife and kids were left at the back of the 'plane. The guy next to me had also been op-upped. Can't say I particularly enjoyed the experience though, as I had my youngest sat on my lap for most of the flight, messing about with the seat (up....down....up....down) whilst watching Cartoon Network on the IFE :laugh:.

I won't argue the point with you. Keep in mind though that the Emirates has a lot of Expats living there, and they to fly home during the Summer Break to the UK or America, or India. So not exactly the low season for them also. Or Saudi Arabia. Or Qatar. So with kids out of school the price is bound to go up some, but not the Absolute Peak either, and as you claim.  

But you are diffinately right about one thing though. I would not have enjoyed flying with you on that flight in Busness Class when you got upgraded for free and your kid jumping around on your knee playing in that chair. Guess why I never fly with Emirates Airlines and sound like I won't in the future either.  

20 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

You don't seem to get this!

When people are paying extra money, and in many cases a lot of extra money, they expect to get something extra for that Buck. You on the other hand expect extra things for free, and consider this the luck of the draw.

Not sure why you claim to have been stepped up so much for free in your travels. I ahve travelled many miles in my life time it is is difficult to recall having this happen to me, unless it was an error caused by the airline. I guess you are just lucky. And me to for not having to sit next to you and your kid and only with paying customers. . 

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Indeed. To get an upgrade on CP using AsiaMiles requires a prior purchase of a PE Flex ticket and that alone costs ~ 1600+ pounds plus the points for the upgrade if available. And when the upgrade is available is blocked out of peak periods. Maybe try a Waitlist but hit and miss.

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

You don't seem to get this!

When people are paying extra money, and in many cases a lot of extra money, they expect to get something extra for that Buck. You on the other hand expect extra things for free, and consider this the luck of the draw.

Not sure why you claim to have been stepped up so much for free in your travels. I ahve travelled many miles in my life time it is is difficult to recall having this happen to me, unless it was an error caused by the airline. I guess you are just lucky. And me to for not having to sit next to you and your kid and only with paying customers. . 

What on earth are you prattling on about? I've been discussing how to get cheap tickets. I've only ever been opped-up twice in my life: the one I described, and once on a short hop from Heathrow to Manchester.

I'm not trying to be a plastic mod, but your combative, wilfully ignorant manner (which you also showed the one other time I interacted with you, in the Koh Tao murders discussions) isn't appropriate for the travel threads, where we try to help each other. You are not the type of person I wish to interact with. Goodbye.

29 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Indeed. To get an upgrade on CP using AsiaMiles requires a prior purchase of a PE Flex ticket and that alone costs ~ 1600+ pounds plus the points for the upgrade if available. And when the upgrade is available is blocked out of peak periods. Maybe try a Waitlist but hit and miss.

Thanks for that! This is the way I understood this also. 

37 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Cathay had a PE sale on from the Scandi-cities to South East Asia earlier this year, tickets from £600 to£800 depending on destination. Some routes codeshared to BA metal though, so you had to pick your routing carefully.

You can get Cathay flights on Avios rewards through the BA website, Manchester to Hong Kong direct and onwards. Not sure about other UK cities though.

12 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

What on earth are you prattling on about? I've been discussing how to get cheap tickets. I've only ever been opped-up twice in my life: the one I described, and once on a short hop from Heathrow to Manchester.

I'm not trying to be a plastic mod, but your combative, wilfully ignorant manner (which you also showed the one other time I interacted with you, in the Koh Tao murders discussions) isn't appropriate for the travel threads, where we try to help each other. You are not the type of person I wish to interact with. Goodbye.

I am sorry! I was not trying to be combative! I was just trying to be honest! Which this has nothing to do with the Koh Tao Murderers.

All I said was I would not be comfortable paying for a Business Class Seat, full price, to have you and your kid sitting next to me, with him on your knee, jumping around playing with all the buttons and lights on these chairs, and flipping channels on the Cartoon Network TV, and perhpas mine also. With you letting him do this or whatever else he wanted, to entertain himself. Especially when your seat is free and I paid extra for Business Class. I don't suppose you would either, if you paid the full price. 

To be honest, I wouldn't let my kid sit there unless he had his own seat, and I for sure wouldn't let my wife and other kid sit in the back by themself, while I enjoyed Business Class, and tried to ruin eveyone elses. I would go to the back and sit with my wife and spank his Bum for behaving badly, if he continued in this way. But then that is me and not you.

Sorry if you misunderstood. Hope not to see you on the same flights as me. . 

22 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Cathay had a PE sale on from the Scandi-cities to South East Asia earlier this year, tickets from £600 to£800 depending on destination. Some routes codeshared to BA metal though, so you had to pick your routing carefully.

You can get Cathay flights on Avios rewards through the BA website, Manchester to Hong Kong direct and onwards. Not sure about other UK cities though.

The problem with discounted CP PE tickets is that they are not Flex and therefore cannot be upgraded with points. OK, I have made a booking with this knowledge, but I am not going to add on an extra flight to Scandinavia to do it.

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I won't argue the point with you. Keep in mind though that the Emirates has a lot of Expats living there, and they to fly home during the Summer Break to the UK or America, or India. So not exactly the low season for them also. Or Saudi Arabia. Or Qatar. So with kids out of school the price is bound to go up some, but not the Absolute Peak either, and as you claim.  

But you are diffinately right about one thing though. I would not have enjoyed flying with you on that flight in Busness Class when you got upgraded for free and your kid jumping around on your knee playing in that chair. Guess why I never fly with Emirates Airlines and sound like I won't in the future either.  

Passengers rarely chat about how much they paid/didn't pay for a seat. However,  earlier this year on Emirates where the atmosphere can occasionally get a bit chatty in BC before takeoff, one guy a few rows in front was on the phone to one of his mates in Economy downstairs who obviously hadn't paid for the optional $450 upgrade BKK-SYD. The guy downstairs was taunting our fellow passenger that he had a 4-row to himself. The upstairs guy was quite amused as he relayed the chat.

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Passengers rarely chat about how much they paid/didn't pay for a seat. However,  earlier this year on Emirates where the atmosphere can occasionally get a bit chatty in BC before takeoff, one guy a few rows in front was on the phone to one of his mates in Economy downstairs who obviously hadn't paid for the optional $450 upgrade BKK-SYD. The guy downstairs was taunting our fellow passenger that he had a 4-row to himself. The upstairs guy was quite amused as he relayed the chat.

I can easily understand this if Emirates keeps giving away there Business Class Seats to anyone, and to the point that Economy is better. This would be the normal course of actions as Business Class Passangers would see no point in paying extra. Which appears to be happening here now. Perhaps why this Airline lost so many points recently, and will continie to be on a downward slide. This is what I have been saying all along. 

Not sure if people don't talk about it and in getting cheaper seats. I recall a few times when I flew Economy Class, Egypt for one, that the last ones to Board where Standby, and the guy sitting next me was bragging how he got his seat at half price. But I never encountered this on Businness Class, and never suspected this, so I don't know.

But other than Emorates I don't know of any other Airlines that gives out Business Class Seats like Candy. For sure none that I travel on. I do recall one Airline Employee, who was travelling Business Class as a Captian or something, as he was still in uniform, but he was at the back and got no sepecial treatment I could see, Perhaps an employee benefit, or asked to go because he needed to fly somelace else. He never had a drink, so I don't know.  

53 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The problem with discounted CP PE tickets is that they are not Flex and therefore cannot be upgraded with points. OK, I have made a booking with this knowledge, but I am not going to add on an extra flight to Scandinavia to do it.

Yes, I noted from your first reply that you prefer to keep things straightforward. My replies were as much for others reading this thread as anything else.