Ham Hock

seeker720

Hi, I'm trying to cook more and have come across some recipes that need ham hock. I'm not sure if this is something Thai's eat also or what they would call it. Does anyone know where I can find ham hock/how to ask for it? I'm currently located in Bangkok near Phaya Thai station.

I doubt that you will find ham hocks in either Macro or Tesco.  A ham hock is brine cured and smoked. Ka Moo is the lower foreleg of pork not cured or smoked. and is available at any market that sells pork. Sloane's in Bangkok has the real thing and I think that they will deliver. http://www.sloanes.co.th/product-cureditems.php#

MJ's Smokehouse in Pattaya might cure and smoke one for you but it would be special order: http://www.mjsmokehouse.com/contact-us

15 minutes ago, wayned said:

I doubt that you will find ham hocks in either Macro or Tesco.  A ham hock is brine cured and smoked. Ka Moo is the lower foreleg of pork not cured or smoked. and is available at any market that sells pork. Sloane's in Bangkok has the real thing and I think that they will deliver. http://www.sloanes.co.th/product-cureditems.php#

MJ's Smokehouse in Pattaya might cure and smoke one for you but it would be special order: http://www.mjsmokehouse.com/contact-us

I beg to differ.

Ham hock is simply the piece between the foot and lower shank.

You can cook it any way you like and call it different things but the basic ham hock is just a cut of meat.

images-39.jpg

Edited by grollies

You're right about the "hock" being the piece between the shank and the foot, but it is not ka Moo.

Where I come from,  southern US, hocks are used for all types of cooking and they are referred to as either "hocks" or  "knuckles".  Once you put the tag "ham" on it is the same cut but is cured and has an entirely different flavor.  What I'd give for a pot of ham hocks and black eyed peas or a mess of collard or mustard greens!

9 minutes ago, wayned said:

You're right about the "hock" being the piece between the shank and the foot, but it is not ka Moo.

Where I come from,  southern US, hocks are used for all types of cooking and they are referred to as either "hocks" or  "knuckles".  Once you put the tag "ham" on it is the same cut but is cured and has an entirely different flavor.  What I'd give for a pot of ham hocks and black eyed peas or a mess of collard or mustard greens!

http://shesimmers.com/2013/10/stewed-pork-hocks-rice-khao-kha-mu-nongs-khao-man-gai.html

I use the recipe above except I refridgerate the stock overnight to remove most of the fat and finish it off the next day. Also use a little palm sugar instead of coke.

why don't you make some hock with blackeyed peas?

I'm sure you could find the ingredients!

Whatever we call it, hocks are truely good eating. Trotters too.

:licklips:

Actually ham hocks are easy to make, I cure my own meat and make ham and corned beef all of the time.  But black eyed peas are a different story where I live.  I think that I came across them once in Makro in Nakhon Sawan over the past 19 years but haven't really looked for them either and the favorite "leafy" vegetable here is khana which I don't rely care for. I used to cook pork leg Thai style similar to your recipe in my crock pot once in a while.

And you are simply not from the Southern part of the US and Wikipedia has a problem understanding their own definitions.  We agree on the part of the pig that is the hock and so does Wikipedia, but when it comes to "ham hock" adding the "ham" cures the "hock".  Here's what Wikipedia says about ham: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham

As far as"" trotters" in the US, they are harness racing horses that race at a specific gate, a trot, usually pulling a two wheeled cart called a sulky!  We call pigs feet, "pigs feet"!

Where I lived in the US, Picayune, Mississippi, about 65 miles north of New Orleans you could buy pig's feet, knuckles or fresh hocks at the one local grocery store, but if you wanted "ham hocks" you had to special order them or drive to the smokehouse in Bougalusa, Louisiana, about 25 miles, to buy them.

Sure we could agree but if everybody agreed to everything there wouldn't be a use for any ridiculous discussions.  Why do Brits call a soccer field the "pitch" and they put the ball on the "floor", not the ground?  Here we go again!  Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, wayned said:

Sure we could agree but if everybody agreed to everything there wouldn't be a use for any ridiculous discussions.  Why do Brits call a soccer field the "pitch" and they put the ball on the "floor", not the ground?  Here we go again!  Have a nice day.

Chips are not crisps

A fanny is a vagina

Jelly is the wobbly stuff you eat with ice cream.....

ad nauseum

you too!

Edited by grollies

3 minutes ago, wayned said:

Sure we could agree but if everybody agreed to everything there wouldn't be a use for any ridiculous discussions.

Hardly a ridiculous discussion.  A smoked, cured ham hock is going to taste very different from a plain one.

"Ham" does not mean it's cured, even if it often is.  Ham is defined as "thigh of a hog used for food".  It's also used to refer to part of the human leg.  (Your hamstrings aren't made from ham, or string for that matter!)