WiFi dongles

randymarsh

They have them in Tesco & Big C for 900-1,000 baht back in the mobile phone section.

Pre-paid service at any AIS kiosk (just outside the entrance to any Tesco or Big C) is about 1,000 baht for a month.

I used mine for Skype in BKK and Pattaya...a bit of a jerky video, but streamed Youtube nicely.

Edited by jaywalker

I recently bought an AIS Mobile hotspot at the AIS shop @the basement of Central Pattaya Beach. 

It's 4G compatible and fed by a dat-SIM-card. 

The device cost THB 1,990 including a data-sim with 2Gb 4G data transfer. 

I used it as a back-up connection in a rental and according to the guests it worked fine. 

Only down-side......if you like to download movies, music or like to watch streaming vids, you'll run out of gigabits in no time and you will be 'downgraded' to 128kbps. 

7 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

I recently bought an AIS Mobile hotspot at the AIS shop @the basement of Central Pattaya Beach. 

It's 4G compatible and fed by a dat-SIM-card. 

The device cost THB 1,990 including a data-sim with 2Gb 4G data transfer. 

I used it as a back-up connection in a rental and according to the guests it worked fine. 

Only down-side......if you like to download movies, music or like to watch streaming vids, you'll run out of gigabits in no time and you will be 'downgraded' to 128kbps. 

I've had two USB dongles from AIS....Still have them & it was unlimited data for 1,000 baht/month. They were pretty fast & came with a SIM card (as you say).

They worked pretty good in BKK & Pattaya and a bit slower in Korat. The coverage was horrible/non-existent in the sticks just outside Surin.

I haven't used them for a long time, so maybe things are different now.

7 hours ago, randymarsh said:

I need to get a WiFi dongle which has very strong signal strength to handle skype calls, video calls.

Any advice on the best one to get?  

Guessing shops in Central will sell these.

Needs to be top-up / pay as you go

cheers

You need a 4G dongle, not a 'WiFi' dongle if you want to use mobile data. A WiFi dongle will only allow you to access an existing WiFi hotspot/router.

The best one would from whatever mobile provider has the best signal strength in the area you will be using it most, and usually best purchased from an offical shop for that vendor (AIS, Dtac or True) not a 3rd party shop.

24 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

You need a 4G dongle, not a 'WiFi' dongle if you want to use mobile data. A WiFi dongle will only allow you to access an existing WiFi hotspot/router.

The best one would from whatever mobile provider has the best signal strength in the area you will be using it most, and usually best purchased from an offical shop for that vendor (AIS, Dtac or True) not a 3rd party shop.

Maybe he only needs WIFI ? AIS unlimited WIFI is only 69 baht per month billed weekly. I have AIS unlimited 512K bps so I never run out of data and when I need to download movies or large files just walk over to the mall and use AIS WIFI and then head back home when done. BTW the 512 K is suitable for browsing, VOIP, and can easily do Youtube vids at 240 resolution. limiting for some but very cost effective for me