....and They Walk Among Us

Gonzo the Face

As Chon Buri has no forum I'll put this here for all to seel

Article in todays  English lang paper

Contractor doing work on a bridge over a canal takes out old bridge.... shuts down for the day..... post no warning signs, barricades, or any notice that the bridge is out.... goes home and in a period of 10 minutes 3 vehicles drive over into the canal.  ..... and yet he knows how to walk and talk.....maybe

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Two of the three vehicles that went into the canal were driven by farangs.

I think the point was that there were no warnings on the bridge.. not that people drove into the canal.  Any contractor who takes out a bridge should at least make sure nobody will try to take the bridge that is no longer there.

There was a similar incident a few days ago where the road contractor failed to put in place adequate safety and warning measures ... a Thai nurse died trying to save others when cars crashed. 

No health and safety awareness ... This is Thailand.

A condo i was staying in repaired the bottom 3 floors of an external steel stair case by chopping out the landings. No signs or ropes to stop people walking down there, especially at night. I mentioned it to the management and they looked at me as if it was a totally alien concept to do that.

Edited by taichiplanet

12 hours ago, robblok said:

I think the point was that there were no warnings on the bridge.. not that people drove into the canal.  Any contractor who takes out a bridge should at least make sure nobody will try to take the bridge that is no longer there.

I think the point is that everyone should dilligently watch their ass 24/7 whatever they are doing and not think others "should" or "should not" so one thing or another and that includes providing warnings.

In reality, one is lucky to escape this place without injury if they live here for a while.  There are so many danger opportunities out there.  I have literally had 3 or 4 near major accidents on my motorbike.  Lucky to escape with just one minor.  I have had a few cars/motorbikes driving the wrong way almost hit me while walking.  Let alone the sidewalks/streets that are unkempt where you can easily twist an ankle or even break a leg if you fall.  

My buddy was riding his bike and ran over one of those grates on the streets which are all over the place.  The grate collapsed as he went over it.  Fortunately, he was not traveling fast.  He was ok but his bike was a mess. You really need to have your head on a swivel whether walking or riding as many do not obey any traffic signs or laws. Just a fact of life in Thailand generally.

I was looking at the statistics for Thailand road deaths the other day, something like 26,000 deaths a year (every year) with 70-80% of those deaths being people driving or riding as passengers on a motorcycle.  Hard to imagine more people dying that during the entire 11 years of the US war in Vietnam (just US deaths)  in a little over two average years on the roads here in Thailand.  I have visited here many times over the years and these people drive like complete idiots. So in addition to the bad infrastructure (grates, sidewalks, etc.) and the bad drivers it its excellent advice to be aware of your surroundings and situationally aware at all times.