Booked flight to KL for TV run - big mistake? Wondering about proof for hotel accommodations

Been researching visa runs ALL DAY and really wanted to avoid a van/bus and take a flight somewhere new. I am a little weary of the roads and drivers here and get carsick easily. Did some research and KL seemed alright, plus a little vacation for me.

Currently, I am on a non-B visa that expires Wednesday. I came here in October on a TV, got an extention for 30 days, and looked for teaching work. Found a job for the last semester and transferred TV to non-B in Savannakhet. Now that I'm not working (semester ended), I was planning on getting new 60-day TV to look for another teaching job and then do the non-B process again.

Of course, I'm now reading how strict KL is, requiring proof of onward travel and a hotel. I can easily book a dummy onwards ticket for cheap, I can accept that. But I'm struggling on hotel/accommodations. Currently, I'm living in a new apartment with a signed lease from March-October, which is probably not smart to show when applying for 60 days. I feel like I made a HUGE mistake here on going to KL for the visa. 

Is there anything that I can do to get the visa at KL, or should I just cancel the trip and go to another consulate that's more flexible? Such a bummer because I already bought the flight, just need a way to show hotel accommodation or something. I understand there's never a straight answer, but I don't want to waste a trip here and will need to get a good idea if I need to cancel and need to Vientiene on Wednesday.

Thanks!

PS: USA citizen if that matters.

Also have bank statements, easy stuff. Just that hotel stuff...because technically I'm living in apartment with lease til October.

Edited by thedan663

24 minutes ago, Hedghog said:

Book a hotel on Booking.com.

Get a print out,then cancel the booking.

Similar to what you are going to do with the air ticket. 

Do they check status of that? Just concerned it would look fake....like I can make a couple bookings, print all confirmations (like two weeks in BKK, two weeks in Chiang Mai, then Krabi or something), and cancel ASAP, but just concerned that would fall through.

I had actually done some research on KL for a Thai visa when I was in KL.

They are very strict.

Go early, wear nice clothes, be polite and professional.

Be prepared with your documents.

But really yeah, its a mistake to go there in your current situation.

You are trying to stay in Thailand indefinitely.  

I'd suggest taking a holiday and explore another country for a month, even Malaysia is alright for awhile.  

One option might be to spend a night in Kota Bharu and get the visa there. Flying from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Bharu is cheap and quick, with many flights. I am not sure of the current requirements there, but they used to be fairly lax.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thedan663 said:

Do they check status of that? Just concerned it would look fake....like I can make a couple bookings, print all confirmations (like two weeks in BKK, two weeks in Chiang Mai, then Krabi or something), and cancel ASAP, but just concerned that would fall through.

I have no idea what they actually check on.

The worst they can do is refuse the visa,not a big issue just fly back and plan your next move.

Seems you are going to worry yourself into an early grave

9 hours ago, thedan663 said:

Wouldn't it look the same as it would if you didn't cancel it (genuine).....or are you saying  it looks fake either way?

12 hours ago, thedan663 said:

Fly to Penang immediately, flights from KUL or SZB (the City airport in KL from where Turbo-props depart) to Penang can be had for less than 100 RM. The Penang consulate seems to be a lot more easy to deal with, at least that is what reports here on the Forum suggest

N.S.:

I just checked fares, Firefly has 99RM tickets on Wednesday to PEN out of Subang (SZB), and Malaysia Airlines for 129 RM out of KUL. AirAsia has cheap fares to, but you pay extra for luggage and credot card payment + seat allocation

Edited by siam2007

Many hotels on booking.com can be cancelled for free on the day (and night) you would "check in". For most no prepayment is needed. 

Since everybody can do that the whole hotel booking requirement is silly. And from what I've heard Kota Bahru is a lot easier than KL.

Penang might be the easiest (and most convenient) choice. Just pay 200 Baht and have the agent do the visa there. 

KLIA or KLIA 2 to KL Sentral. 

Can take the new train to Penang. Walk to the ferry, and go to Georgetown.  In Georgetown near the Fort Cornwallis are numerous agents who handle visas and there are others scattered around town. 

I'm not aware of any of these services in KL.  From what I've gathered, you need to be a Malaysian to obtain a Thai Tourist Visa in KL. 

On of the Visa services in Penang, also member here wrote several times on his Facebook page that the rules changed in Penang.

Just take a look at his ADVISE:  Jim Tachinamurthy.

Hello my friends and clients living in thailand,if u want a tourist visa please bring a house or hostel or bungalow rental ageeement or a receipt and a flight ticket out of thailand after 2 months and please please please print it out in thailand before u come to Penang.thank u

20 hours ago, thedan663 said:

Currently, I'm living in a new apartment with a signed lease from March-October, which is probably not smart to show when applying for 60 days

There has yet to be a case reported, that I've seen, where a long-term rental-contract was not accepted the same as a hotel booking.  That said, as others have noted, KL will try to find any way to reject, sometimes adding requirements with each attempt until you finally give up.

It seems that it´s only the agency´s requiring hotel booking/rental contract.

I was there just last week and the only thing except passport copy/photo required for a TV is copy of onward flight booking.

The only thing i´ve seen/heard about something else is someone on this forum saying that they overheard requirements in the lane next to them. And considering that there is only one line/booth for TV´s that person ment the booth for the Non-B e.tc visas which is on the right side of the TV booth.

So just book an onward ticket´, print it out, unbook and give them that. No hassle at all.