Thai medical experts make case for more people to be vaccinated against dengue

webfact

Experts make case for more people to be vaccinated against dengue
By THE NATION

294461d9d951291f3039c885d56ea05d.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- THAI MEDICAL experts have highlighted the efficacy and safety of Thailand’s first dengue vaccine.

The dengue vaccine registration last October made Thailand one of 14 countries using a vaccine for dengue.

President of the Paediatric Infectious Diseases Society of Asia, Dr Usa Thisyakorn, noted on Friday that it was crucial to produce the vaccine to effectively prevent all four serotypes of the dengue virus, as it could not yet be determined which serotypes would become endemic and when. 

“From clinical trials in 15 countries involving more than 40,000 participants, the vaccine helped prevent symptomatic cases caused by any of the four types by 65.6 per cent, reducing hospitalisations by 80.8 per cent and severe dengue cases by 93.2 per cent. Although not yet 100 per cent effective, it is definitely better than having no prevention at all,” Usa said.

This live, attenuated tetravalent vaccine is to be given in three doses, six months apart – shortly after birth, then at 6 and 12 months – with each dose yielding increasingly improved preventive results. 

Besides children, adults should also get vaccinated as the adult population increases and fewer children are born, Usa said. 

“We need to change the misconception that dengue fever is a child’s disease. It afflicts people of all ages,” she said. 

“The age indication of dengue vaccine registered in Thailand is 9-45 years old with clinical data highlighting that the vaccine yields the same or even better results in people aged 16-45 than in younger people 9-16 years old,” she said.

President of the Paediatric Infectious Diseases Society of Thailand, Dr Tawee Chotpitayasun-ondh, cited data that the vaccine had nearly 82 per cent efficacy in those who exposed to dengue and 52.5 per cent efficacy in those who have never been exposed to dengue virus before. 

“The dengue vaccine is a mix of attenuated dengue virus and flavivirus, which is non-virulent. On the other hand, any of the four serotypes of dengue virus naturally contracted from mosquitoes is 100 per cent virulent. The data implies that the vaccine does not cause dengue infection... It is thus safe and is approved by the World Health Organisation [WHO],” he said.

“Nevertheless, despite the availability of the vaccine, it is necessary that we adopt other preventive measures such as destroying mosquito-breeding grounds and following the WHO’s guidelines to control the disease. The guidelines include: early diagnosis and treatment; establishing adequate disease monitoring; ensuring vector control in the home and community; quickly deciding on vaccine implementation in endemic countries; and continuing research and study to achieve the best results,” Usa and Tawee concluded.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309594

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-20

In Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria  and Sri Lanka, fresh papaya leaves are crushed, the extract mixed with honey and consumed. Scientific data published in the British Med J shows morbidity and mortality in Dengue patients is thus reduced.  http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4661/rr-4

Edited by TomTC
Update countries fighting Dengue Fever with papaya leaves

18 minutes ago, TomTC said:

In Malaysia and Sri Lanka, fresh papaya leaves are crushed, the extract mixed with honey and consumed. Scientific data published in the British Med J shows morbidity and mortality in Dengue patients is thus reduced.  http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4661/rr-4

In non-severe cases of dengue the use of CPLE can reduce platelet requirement as well as hospital stay by a few days. The role of CPLE in severe dengue (major cause of mortality) still remains unexplored. June 2016

http://www.japi.org/june_2016/01_Editorial_role_of_carica.pdf

CPLE is a therapeutic approach to treatment of dengue. It is not a preventative measure such as with a vaccine.

use of

1 hour ago, TomTC said:

In Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria  and Sri Lanka, fresh papaya leaves are crushed, the extract mixed with honey and consumed. Scientific data published in the British Med J shows morbidity and mortality in Dengue patients is thus reduced.  http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4661/rr-4

I have read the same thing. I.dried out some papaya leaves and make tea out of them

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I've had it twice so far in Thailand. Would this have any benefit to an old geezer like me?

Good news, is that you can only get two more types, then you are good.

My friend had it three times; from three different countries. He said the type he caught in Thailand was the easiest.

Pakistan strain the worst. He still has one more to go.

I got it here in Thailand. It was not easy for me !

4 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I've had it twice so far in Thailand. Would this have any benefit to an old geezer like me?

According to The World Health Department there IS NO vaccine for Dengue feavor.So I guess that this vaccine comes from the same people that found cures for Nile Disease. and HIV.

58 minutes ago, Blindedbythelight said:

Good news, is that you can only get two more types, then you are good.

My friend had it three times; from three different countries. He said the type he caught in Thailand was the easiest.

Pakistan strain the worst. He still has one more to go.

I got it here in Thailand. It was not easy for me !

The World Health people states that "There FIVE types of Dengue fever and having one type normally gives one life long immunity "To that type" and a "Short term" immunity to the others.

11 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

According to The World Health Department there IS NO vaccine for Dengue feavor.So I guess that this vaccine comes from the same people that found cures for Nile Disease. and HIV.

Never heard Sanofi Pasteur claiming that they could cure Nile Disease nor HIV

2 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

This vaccine can make dengue worse

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160901152102.htm

Challenges to vaccine development

Infection by one of the four dengue virus serotypes has been shown to confer lasting protection against homotypic re-infection, but only transient protection against a secondary heterotypic infection. Moreover, secondary heterotypic infection is associated with an increased risk of severe disease. This and other observations suggest an immunopathological component in dengue pathogenesis, which is referred to as immune enhancement of disease. Due to these dengue-specific complexities, vaccine development focuses on the generation of a tetravalent vaccine aimed at providing long-term protection against all virus serotypes.  

This is from WHO. What it basically says is that the existing vaccine (Which the TV post  is about) should be used only where the threat of dengue in a certain area is significant. The "Can make dengue worse"  statement is backed up here where it relates to a second infection from one of the other genotypes, but appears to apply to both a primary dengue infection itself, and the use of the vaccine. The caution expressed relates to the "immune enhancement of disease", which is why they are looking for better vaccines that don't have this problem. This is not to say that there are not situations where using the existing vaccine is a good idea.

I once helped tend a fellow traveler who caught dengue in South India. The locals did prepare an extract of papaya (more like concentrated thick tea) mixed with some other stuff (which I though was mainly to cover the taste of the  main ingredient). It didn't "cure", but seemed to help some of the symptoms, if temporarily. 

This was my second time nursing someone catching dengue and it ain't pretty. Developed a healthy awareness of mosquitoes,  that's for sure. But the vaccine...just don't know. Seems like it's neither a sure thing, nor covers from all types. Adding the risk of side effects and the price, very reluctant to go this way.