Free Standing Dvr 'applaince' .. Vs Computer 'dvr. Available In Thailand?

pumper

I am in the US & have used the Dish Network DVR for almost 5 years now.

I just upgraded to a 60 gig / 60 hour recording box .. wonderful.

recordings are slightly pixalited .. but rarely noticable

the DVR is the appliance I use most .. I receive 100 times more benefit from the DVR than from my daily used microwave oven appliance!

Is their no such 'DVR appliance' available in Thailand.

to me an appliance is a 'dummy friendly' device .. not a computer rigged to emulate a freestanding DVR

On my last Don Muang arrival in August a lady was getting a Pioneer DVR out of the overhead, I tried to engage conversation with her regarding the DVR.. to no avail.

a 'DVR appliance' is so easy to use .. my integrated remote controls all TV / satellite box / recording functions & is dual radio / infrared.

By using 8m RCA cables & the radio frequency I can view TV & operate the satellite box from my bedroom.

auto recording of daily / weekly shows is wonderful.

I rarely am awake for Leno .. but never miss his opening skit.

is there no DVR appliance available in Thailand?

& Is there a web site(s) with available TV programing listings?

You can easily get dvr appliances in Thailand, but the problem seems to be to get them to interface with the television offerings (mainly ubc satellite).

A dvr is of not much use if it can't control your sat receiver box to put on the correct channel when wanting to record.

You'd be stuck to just preset one channel and record only programming from that channel.

There was a thread on here before on that subject, but I don't recall a solution was found.

It's basically a crying shame UBC doesn't have dvr boxes on offer, especially at the price level there at...

This was the thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93321

Edited by monty

A dvr is of not much use if it can't control your sat receiver box to put on the correct channel when wanting to record.

You'd be stuck to just preset one channel and record only programming from that channel.

the only solution is to change channels on the receiver manually. i too am missing the comfort of the programmable harddrive recorder i was used to in the U.S. but using it now with minimal functions is still better than to watch what UBC or other providers present when they please. our two recorders are running 24 hours a day, we delete what we don't like and watch what we like and WHEN we like to watch.

prices (Numchai, Pattaya about 10 months ago)

Samsung 160 GB ~THB 21.000

Philips 250 GB ~ THB 26.000

most probably cheaper nowadays.

saw a new model visionnet satellite reciever the other day in phuket that is pvr ready,all you had to do was plug a harddrive onto the back and away you go, it had a card slot and was internet ready, so they are out there, have also seen a dreambox advertised on the jsat site that will act as a decoder, reciever and a pvr

Astro in Malaysia offers a receiver with hard disk, but NO DVD drive for archiving.

I mention this as the DVD backup is one of the facilities of my Pioneer DVR 720H.

There are satellite receivers around that have programming facilities, get on if those.

It means you have programme the receiver and the recorder, but it is worth it. :o

Astro in Malaysia offers a receiver with hard disk, but NO DVD drive for archiving.

I mention this as the DVD backup is one of the facilities of my Pioneer DVR 720H.

There are satellite receivers around that have programming facilities, get on if those.

It means you have programme the receiver and the recorder, but it is worth it. :o

both Samsung and Philips we bought have this function.

both Samsung and Philips we bought have this function.

Are those Sat Receiver and DVR combined?

• 2 weeks later...
saw a new model visionnet satellite reciever the other day in phuket that is pvr ready,all you had to do was plug a harddrive onto the back and away you go, it had a card slot and was internet ready, so they are out there, have also seen a dreambox advertised on the jsat site that will act as a decoder, reciever and a pvr

Where in Phuket and does it work with UBC?? (can i stick my smart card into this thing and it will work and record) what do you mean internet ready??

I'm googleing the "visionnet satellite receiver" now to see whast infor i can get on it.

Where in Phuket??

I just bought a LG TV that has a built in 80 Gb hard drive here in Thailand and it workd just great

LG calls it the Time Machine.

I saw them on sale at powerbuy can you tell me a bit about it?

you can only record what you're watching right?

Does your TV need to be on to record? (does the screen need to be lit up or does it record in stand by)

Can it automatically change the channel on the UBC box to a specified channel at a specified time?

you have to use a UBC box right?

How do you use it?(not how does it work but what do you get out of it?)

Where in Phuket and does it work with UBC?? (can i stick my smart card into this thing and it will work and record) what do you mean internet ready??

I'm googleing the "visionnet satellite receiver" now to see whast infor i can get on it.

Where in Phuket??

Look at dreamboxes.. They are basically a computer disguised as a sat reciever and recorder.. As well as hacking UBC (and astro, multichoice, etc by using code sharing) they also can record to an inbuilt hard disc (depending on model and disc) or record the .ts transport stream files to a PC on the home network without PC interaction.. They can also stream the feeds to PC's or playback boxes around the home..

The 7xxx series models have dual tuners so one person can watch one thing while recording another etc etc etc..

They are the dogs pods of sat recievers.

Shamefully a DVR is almost useless without a good EPG.. If you cant tell the box to record your shows, browse the next few days, set season passes, make it list actors you like etc then its half a DVR.. People who have used tivo etc will understand.. Of course UBC once again has its head up its ass on this front.

I have tried to talk to them about it.. I have tried to get them to release data in XMLTV format so it could be imported by applications and guide services.. I even offered to do almost all of the work involved if only they would co-operate with me.. Mai Loo.. I gave up !!

I just bought a LG TV that has a built in 80 Gb hard drive here in Thailand and it workd just great

LG calls it the Time Machine.

I saw them on sale at powerbuy can you tell me a bit about it?

you can only record what you're watching right?

Does your TV need to be on to record? (does the screen need to be lit up or does it record in stand by)

Can it automatically change the channel on the UBC box to a specified channel at a specified time?

you have to use a UBC box right?

How do you use it?(not how does it work but what do you get out of it?)

thought about buying one as well but saw the version without dvr for 20,000 less. you can pick up a seperate dvr 250Gb for about what we save, so will go down that route, as we will gain more Gb,& that plays dvds etc as well.

Edited by Donnyboy