Using A Dvr With Ubc

jbowman1993

Your UBC box should have atleast 2 scarts or video composite outputs, marked TV/VCR. If you intend to connect your UBC box to the DVR ro record channels then all you will require is a scart lead that connects to the input of your dvr. This will be marked as a box with an arrow pointing in and out.

A sacrt is a large connection with 21 pins usually. Composite are round phono type connections, usual yellow for picture, red and white for sound.

Edited by ltdknowledge

Check if your UBC box has an RF output, capable of carrying all channels. Most boxes only output what's chosen, so you're stuck to whatever channel is on the tv at the time.

Best way to find out is to plug the Rf into your TV directly and do a channel scan.

Also make sure your DVR software supports xmltv - this is the program guide format you'll need for record scheduling. there is a program "TvXB" that supports UBC channels, and will download the monthly schedule.

Dear jbowman 1993,

How are you?

I boought a DVD recording machine. It records DVD format from the tv much like a video recorder does. Is that what you mean by a DVR?

If that is the case then the box sits in my tv unit between the UBC decoder and the tv (the same as the video would have)

Issues - I record the programme I am watching ie I don't think it can record from another programme whilst I am watching. It can record a prog when I am not watching. I don't know anything about the Rf suggestion in the thread

storage. If you are happy with a whole stack of DVDs that's fine. I already have too many so I go through a process of using DVD rewrite discs and save them in a hard drive. the hard drives I have seen with the DVD recorders are too small so you cannot save many movies or tv series.

On the machine I have, I have had to run setup a few times as it stopped seeing the UBC box - could be a fault or a design failure I don't know.

Editing is the biggest problem, what's on there stays there. there are supposed to be editing stuff but they don't work on DVD rewrites - thta's all I use. On a video you can go to a place and then delete - cannot do that with DVD rewrites. Maybe you can with ordinary DVDs - don't know.

Bought mine for 13000. Most shops in Bkk were selling for more than 20000. After buying for 13000 I saw in DTAC shop Central World for same price.

Hope this is relevant and of use.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Hope this

Forget the rf connection, you need an ordinary AV cable with the three lead, video/left/right.

You should have no problem recording. Get a model with a hard disk, mine has 160Gb and is good for many hours of recording

The only bugbear, is that there is no way of programming the UBC box

to change channels. :o

Ok,

Thanks for all your help. I suppose now I am more confused than I was at the beginning., lol.

On the back of my UBC box, I have the RF, the video plugs (red, yellow, white), and the scart outlet (the pronged thing).

I've heard people recommend using each of them. I really want to be able to program my DVR to record any show at any time, without having to manually change the ubc station. The salesman at the electronics store seemed to think that thsi wouldn't be a problem.

I also want the DVR to be able to download the program guide from UBC as well, so I suppose i need to learn more about the software mentioned. xmltv and TvXB.

This is complicated, but I like a challange! Does anyone have a "Dummies Guide" to this installation, so I can use this machine the way I've described? The two models I was thinking about were the Sony and the Phillips. Both had a 250 gig hard disk. The salesman sold both, and recommended the Phillips has having a better head.

Joe

On the back of my UBC box, I have the RF, the video plugs (red, yellow, white), and the scart outlet (the pronged thing).

Either will give you good quality

I really want to be able to program my DVR to record any show at any time, without having to manually change the ubc station. The salesman at the electronics store seemed to think that thsi

wouldn't be a problem.

The salesman did not know what he was talking about.

Programming the DVR is easy, but there is NO link to change the channel in the UBC box.

There is no programming faclility on the UBC box either.

I have written to UBC on this matter and they say "they are thinking about it".

Programability is a standard feature on the receiver I have with Astro in Malaysia.

It may pay you to shop around for your own receiver with the programming facility built in

I also want the DVR to be able to download the program guide from UBC as well, so I suppose i need to learn more about the software mentioned. xmltv and TvXB.

Any download will be on your PC, not direct to the DVR.

The broadcast programme gude, is very limited.

Only the current and next programmes. :o

Good luck and happy recording.

I love my DVR machine.

If you want to experiment with DVR, program guide etc, download "Media Portal" & TvXb - most video cards have a video in, if not you can pick up a tv-tuner card for cheap. Then you can experiment with tv guides, recording etc etc.

I've actually got my UBC sending to a wireless transmitter/receiver - plugged into the back of my PC using the above software - handy for when i'm not in the living room....