Driving to Thailand

Bob13

Hi everyone. I'm interested in buying a motorbike in Vietnam or Cambodia because they are cheap. A fellow traveler told me if I buy a motorbike in a neighboring country and drive it to Thailand, I would have to pay about 200 USD at the boarder for insurance. Is this true?

2 minutes ago, Bob13 said:

Hi everyone. I'm interested in buying a motorbike in Vietnam or Cambodia because they are cheap. A fellow traveler told me if I buy a motorbike in a neighboring country and drive it to Thailand, I would have to pay about 200 USD at the boarder for insurance. Is this true?

Do you mean import duty, trying to get it registered etc.....?

1 minute ago, Rdrokit said:

It might be cheaper but if you plan on registering it in Thailand than it would be cheaper to buy it in Thailand. You will have to pay a large import fee to have it registered here.

Yeh, I have forgotten the rules, but I think you could bring a ride in for 6 months on a permit, then you had to take it out...If you want to keep it here you must jump through cash hurdles....I would be interested to know the OP's bike and what it would cost where he is converted to Thai baht...

Law changed a few years ago. No second hand bikes allowed to be registered in Thailand. Unless you first obtain a license to import motorcycles. And jump thru a whole bunch more hoops. Your cheap bike will not be cheap after this. A fellow poster imported his BMW - posted the experience on this Forum. Memory serves - took 2 years and cost a bundle. Advice given above is good - buy one here. Or temporary import.