Extension of stay for nomad

I have a retirement extension of stay living in condo in Bangkok. Moving out of condo to live in various hotels throughout Thailand. Want to renew my extension of stay in a few months but will be living short term in various hotels in various cities. No plan just enjoying Thailand's different cities.  Is there an immigration office that is best to use when living in hotels traveling around Thailand? Any special issues with this nomad life and renewing extension of stay?

The first problem is doing your 90 day reports. They can only be done at the office where you got your extension unless you formally change your address at another office. One option is doing your reports by mail but you must maintain address for where you got your extension to have the receipt mailed to.

To do you next extension you would likely have problems applying for it with hotel address at many offices. Bangkok immigration may be more flexible about it though than other offices.

You might need to provide some kind of long term rental agreement if using a hotel address. One month might do it.

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Want to renew my extension of stay in a few months

If you only need a few months it might be easier to go out for a Tourist Visa, which with a extension of stay will give you 90 days.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

One option is doing your reports but you must maintain address for where you got your extension to have the receipt mailed to

Guess "by post" is missing in that sentence? Is the "online" reporting finally up and running?

A question regarding the receipt.

Is it ever used by any official? I have always removed it from the passport when leaving the country and doing either an extension or a 90 day report.

There has never been a request to see it.

5 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Guess "by post" is missing in that sentence? Is the "online" reporting finally up and running?

A question regarding the receipt.

Is it ever used by any official? I have always removed it from the passport when leaving the country and doing either an extension or a 90 day report.

There has never been a request to see it.

I just put in by mail in my post.

I have had to send the receipt for for previous report with my mailed in report.

When I have done reports in person they always took the old receipt out and put a new one in my passport.

Many offices now use the barcode on the receipt when your do your reports. Without the receipt they might not the report for you. The receipt proves you did your report. Without it they could claim you didn't do it and fine you 2000 baht

Airport immigration does not care about 90 day reports.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I just put in by mail in my post.

I have had to send the receipt for for previous report with my mailed in report.

When I have done reports in person they always took the old receipt out and put a new one in my passport.

Many offices now use the barcode on the receipt when your do your reports. Without the receipt they might not the report for you. The receipt proves you did your report. Without it they could claim you didn't do it and fine you 2000 baht

Airport immigration does not care about 90 day reports.

Good enough reasons.

I thought they scanned my passport or typed in the name/number to bring up all my details.

Each time they also take a new photo. I wonder if I can ask for the complete set after I have reached say 20 years worth?

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

You might need to provide some kind of long term rental agreement if using a hotel address. One month might do it.

If you only need a few months it might be easier to go out for a Tourist Visa, which with a extension of stay will give you 90 days.

The OP said "in" a few months, not "for" a few months, huge difference !

3 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Good enough reasons.

I thought they scanned my passport or typed in the name/number to bring up all my details.

Each time they also take a new photo. I wonder if I can ask for the complete set after I have reached say 20 years worth?

Excellent business idea! They could sell those photos. Probably I would buy my set. Good opportunity to partner with immigration and start this business. Anyone?

Thanks everyone. I am going to try and renew my extension of stay in Bangkok in November and see how it goes. While staying in  hotels I will use my passport instead of my Thai drivers license so the hotels will report my address.  Will stay in hotel in Bangkok when I need to do 90 day report and if questioned tell the truth about my plans. If all else fails and my extension is denied I will get another O-A from America. I plan on living long term in Thailand I just want to be a Nomad and drift from town to town for a while before I sign another year condo lease. 

If your wanderings take you near a border, you could pop over to Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia or Malaysia and reduce or even avoid the need for 90 day reports. Make sure you have a re-entry permit though.