Trump administration hosting first meeting of anti-ISIS coalition

webfact

Trump administration hosting first meeting of anti-ISIS coalition

REUTERS

r7b.jpg

Guests listen as U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks at the National Republican Congressional Committee March Dinner in Washington, U.S., March 21, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Foreign ministers from 68 countries meet in Washington on Wednesday to agree on the next steps to defeat Islamic State, the first such gathering of the U.S-led military coalition since the election of President Donald Trump in November.

The meeting will be hosted by U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. Trump has vowed to make the fight against Islamic State a priority and directed the Pentagon and other agencies in January to submit a plan for defeating the militant group.

The militants have been losing ground in both Iraq and Syria, with three separate forces, backed by the United States, Turkey and Russia, advancing on the group's Syrian stronghold of Raqqa.

The meeting is the first of the international coalition since Iraqi government forces, backed by the U.S.-led international coalition, retook several Iraqi cities from Islamic State last year and liberated eastern Mosul.

While the jihadist group is overwhelmingly outnumbered by Iraqi forces, it has been using suicide car bombs and snipers to defend its remaining strongholds.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, who met with Trump in Washington on Monday, said he had won assurances of more U.S. support in the war against Islamic State.

A White House statement after the meeting said both Trump and Abadi agreed that "terrorism cannot be defeated by military might alone," and the two leaders called for deepening commercial ties.

Discussions on Wednesday will also focus on how to help Mosul rebuild and ways to tackle Islamic State operations in Libya and elsewhere.

In Syria, the U.S.-led coalition has been working with an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias. Its current focus is to encircle and ultimately recapture Raqqa - Islamic State's base of operations in Syria.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is supported by Russia and Iran, has said he saw scope for cooperation with Trump, although he has dismissed the U.S.-backed military campaign against Islamic State in Syria as "only a few raids."

(Reporting by Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-22

Destroy the cancer they can't leave one of those scum alive. Ideologists like that can't live in a civilised society. Once you have that blood lust you will never get rid of it.

The start should be with SaudiArabia they are the richest two faced murderers in the world. Wahabi Islam should be outlawed throughout the world.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, englishinsiam said:

Destroy the cancer they can't leave one of those scum alive. Ideologists like that can't live in a civilised society. Once you have that blood lust you will never get rid of it.

The start should be with SaudiArabia they are the richest two faced murderers in the world. Wahabi Islam should be outlawed throughout the world.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Saudi Arabia and Iran are the 2 biggest problems in the Middle East.  Top sponsors of terrorism...and the largest producers of oil.

Tillerson: 'I didn’t want this job. I didn’t seek this job.'

"Secretary of State Rex Tillerson “didn’t want this job,” according to a profile published Wednesday in the Independent Journal Review, and only accepted it on the urging of his wife."

"The remarks, which Tillerson delivered during a multi-part interview that took place over the course of his recent trip to Asia, were a starker version of introductory ones he made upon his arrival at the State Department following his confirmation."

“I didn’t want this job. I didn’t seek this job,” Tillerson told IJR’s Erin McPike, the lone reporter to accompany the secretary of state on his trip to Asia, who noted that the secretary does not appear to harbor regrets about accepting the job. “My wife told me I’m supposed to do this.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/did-rex-tillerson-want-to-be-secretary-of-state-236345

Wow! Such passion and commitment.

The wife said it's god's work...

Edited by iReason

This is easy as pie for Trump.

He struts on stage. All eyes on him.  He loves it.  Then he starts bleating loudly while waving his arms in the air; 

"We must defeat ISIS.  We got to bomb the hell out of them.  Bomb everyone in the vicinity.  That'll teach 'em.  I've got a secret plan.  It's such a good plan, folks.  I can't tell you the details now, because I don't want to tell the enemy what were gonna do.  You're gonna love my plan for defeating ISIS, believe me.   We're gonna win so fast, you're going to beg me to slow down. You're gonna say, 'Please president Trump, please don't be so successful so quickly.  We can't keep up.'  No one can defeat ISIS like I can, believe me folks."

Then he goes to the side of the stage and hugs and kisses the flag for several minutes.  

It was Samuel Johnson who stated, "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Except Johnson never met Trump.  If he had, he might add something like, 

"The last gasp of a shyster is blaming the messenger for bad news, and lying like a cheap rug even after everyone else knows its a lie."

Tillerson pledges safe areas for refugees, more pressure on Islamic State

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-usa-idUSKBN16T0CQ

The last time safe zones protected by US forces was suggested it was estimated it would require about 10,000 US military personnel to enforce; safe zones are nor referred to in the final meeting communique. Iraq has estimated it will cost roughly US$50 billion to rebuild areas effected by fighting Daesh, to date only US$2 billion has been pledged for rebuilding, based upon previous scenarios it's unlikely even the pledged amount will actually come to fruition.

In the positive it now looks as though the Obama Administration strategy for fighting Daesh was the correct path for US interests.

2 hours ago, gigman said:

First they created this monster now trying to kill it...another Afghanistan....

:coffee1:

Problems in this area started long before the US got involved.  For sure Iraq 2 didn't help at all.  But it didn't start this.  Research how it all began in Afghanistan.  Hint: Bin Laden got started by the Russian invasion there.

15 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Saudi Arabia and Iran are the 2 biggest problems in the Middle East.  Top sponsors of terrorism...and the largest producers of oil.

Easy to blame just 2. Try holding the bankers like Qatar or Cyprus accountable. The EU has  hands dripping with blood. Cyprus banking system is EU regulated. Money flows through theLondon city market with impunity. Luxembourg has made a name for itself  catering to questionable  middle easterners and of course our friends the Swiss  never met  an opportunity they could say no to.

How about asking Turkey and Jordan how ISIL oil made its way into their countries? Why not ask South East Asia where all that cheap oil came from, courtesy of  the sanction busting and environmentally irresponsible Singaporean and Indian brokers. 

It is easy to blame Saudia Arabia, but there   are too many influential countries  who have had a hand in this that get a free pass.

4 hours ago, gigman said:

First they created this monster now trying to kill it...another Afghanistan....

:coffee1:

Too flippant.  Who is 'they'? Trumpsters would say Obama and HRC, because their little world is composed of vindictive sound bites.  The M.East vacillates between very problematic and extremely problematic.  It's non-PC to say this, but I was actually in favor of Iraq II invasion, and here's why:  Hussein and his 2 sadist sons were consistently terrorizing large segments of the people in that region.  Iraq II got rid of Hussein and his sons, but problems persist - which gets us back to my assertion; the M.East is either very bad or horrible at any given time since before the Assyrians and Hoplites.  

Note;  a big reason for ISIS forming was the US imprisoning hundreds of combatants during the Iraq II war.  The prisoners were not sequestered from each other (big mistake!).  So a few of the most dominant prisoners (extremist kill-all-westerners types) compelled other prisoners to become radicalized.   Then the prisoners were all let out.  It was like letting out disease.  

If the baddies had taken prisoners, they would have either killed them or held them for ransom.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Tillerson pledges safe areas for refugees, more pressure on Islamic State

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-usa-idUSKBN16T0CQ

The last time safe zones protected by US forces was suggested it was estimated it would require about 10,000 US military personnel to enforce; safe zones are nor referred to in the final meeting communique. Iraq has estimated it will cost roughly US$50 billion to rebuild areas effected by fighting Daesh, to date only US$2 billion has been pledged for rebuilding, based upon previous scenarios it's unlikely even the pledged amount will actually come to fruition.

In the positive it now looks as though the Obama Administration strategy for fighting Daesh was the correct path for US interests.

That's right.  Westerners will pay for M.Easterners regardless of whether there a hundred little wars or 3 big wars.  Westerners are always cleaning up their messes.   Admittedly, westerners are part of the equation of wars, but usually we charge in there feet first, spending billions of dollars a week, trying to clean up incessant Arab messes.  

The entire M.East should be cleared of our one species and declared a desert park.  For that reason, maybe nuclear war is a pathway to that.   The M.East is so devoid of natural resources that it can only viably support about 1 million people, most of those bedouins.    That's just half the problem.  The other half is their sicko belief systems combined with fatally flawed human character traits.

Several thousand years ago (in geological time, not even a wink), there were fields of green, large trees, and great beasts roaming the hills.  Everywhere that Man has resided has become trashed and screwed.  The M.East is a prime example.  Runner-ups are parts of Asia where some people eke out a living on tops of giant heaps of steaming garbage.

Edited by boomerangutang