PM Prayut confirms Thai Navy to get three Chinese submarines

webfact

Of course this has passed all the usual financial checks and balances , Thailand must be proud to have a government that puts Submarines in front of education,  screwed wasteful thinkers this lot Mark............................................:coffee1:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, AlphaSoiDog said:

Conspiracy theory warning :)

Part of Germany lending money to Greece a while back was forcing Greece to buy some Submarines. So now we have Thailand, Greece and Australia that I know of with subs that they don't need and lack of finances to pay for them.

The USA is/has built hunter killer drones to kill other nations subs. So are the poor nations being made to buy up products of a "dying" industry?

And bonus for the banking cartel because we all have to borrow to pay for them?

:)

Who's forcing Thailand to buy subs?

On 3/23/2017 at 10:47 AM, fruitman said:

Just like the 500 buses they bought from china, nobody knows where they are now.

I first have to see the submarines before i believe it.

Be careful what you wish for.  Do you really want to see them?  Thailand is probably better off just sending the money to China without trying to actually operate or take possession of the things...

What did you THINK the new higher taxes on alcohol were for, anyway?  If it's not enough, they'll just add a new surcharge onto plane tickets (for "medical insurance" or "enhanced security" or whatever).

Edited by hawker9000

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, lanng khao said:

One of them will end up in dry dock as a converted go go bar..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

well they used to have submarine ago go on Lk Metro a few years ago and that closed. lack of maintenance

14 hours ago, rijb said:

Who's forcing Thailand to buy subs?

Who's forcing Australia to buy Subs?

A good conspiracy theory needs to make bigger and more outrageous claims every time a pesky question seems to negate it. I'm sure there are some here who could help out   ; )

I wonder if they will be used on the Pattaya to Hua Hin ferry route? Special prices on the conning tower! 

We need to get a return on our investment a sailor was quoted as saying.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:55 AM, Enoon said:

They are not nuclear. They are diesel-electric, although the original version for the Chinese navy is thought to be also equipped thus: "039A class is equipped with an air-independent propulsion system"  which is not a nuclear system.  The Thai version may also be so equipped.

This from the article: "Normal nuclear-based submarines can dive around seven to 10 days."  is an excellent example of the confused, irrelevant and  nonsensical disinformation that "journalists" throughout the world spread.

In fact:

"Nuclear subs, on the other hand, typically have endurance – submerged or not – of 90-100 days"

AIP vs nuclear submarines « Defense Issues

I think the nukes can stay at sea for over a year without refueling also, I have heard that the diesel-electric is capable of going silent while the nuke is not, all this said who could they defend themselves from with these? Unjustified spending with major paybacks. Makes the rice scheme look good.

Who's forcing Australia to buy Subs?

A good conspiracy theory needs to make bigger and more outrageous claims every time a pesky question seems to negate it. I'm sure there are some here who could help out   ; )

It would be more suspicious if it were Austria!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What in the world does Australia have to do with anything? It's as maritime a nation as any on the planet ... which Thailand is decidedly not.

Regimes mature and start running short on favors to hand out. These subs afford some all new senior command-at-sea opportunities (aka sinecures) for loyal supporters on the navy side.

What in the world does Australia have to do with anything? It's as maritime a nation as any on the planet ... which Thailand is decidedly not. 

Regimes mature and start running short on favors to hand out. These subs afford some all new senior command-at-sea opportunities (aka sinecures) for loyal supporters on the navy side.

Sinecures yes.

Opportunities for command, and all the status that goes with that, yes.

Payback for loyally toeing the junta line, definitely.

I don't however really think that time at sea has much to do with it - although I'm sure that there will be at least one trip out if only to provide footage of a submarine diving to update the video they show whilst playing the National Anthem on TV!

Ironically I suspect this is going to burn through so much cash that the regime is going to run really short on funds, and therefore favours are soon going to be in very short supply indeed.

26 minutes ago, kowpot said:

"Can't believe they're buying these things. Been on Craigslist forever"

Thai submarine.jpg

But they are coming with the latest AIP technology systems, manual kickback starters and a fuse board.

Kickstarter.jpg

Fuse.JPG

Edited by tomacht8

On 23/3/2560 at 10:20 AM, webfact said:

PM confirms Thai Navy to get three Chinese submarines

March 23, 2017 09:52 
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- It’s finally Chinese submarines for Thailand. But the government had to pay for only two and the third one was “a free gift”, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha revealed at his weekly press briefing yesterday.

The announcement by the PM ends a wait of over two decades for the Navy.

Thailand had four submarines in 1937, the first country in Asean to have submarines and only the second in Asia.

Made in Japan, they became damaged over time and were beyond repair. Following the defeat of Japan in World War II, the submarines were discharged in 1951.

Since then, Thailand has never had any submarines. The Thai Navy revived its quest for some submarines to be deployed in the Thai waters, especially in the Gulf of Thailand, in 1995. 

Several western countries – Germany, Sweden, France – and Russia were eager to offer new submarines at good prices, but the Navy’s dream was hampered by budget shortage and political problems.

In 2010, the Navy made another try, eyeing six submarines from Germany, though they were second hand. The Navy then readjusted the plan, eyeing one brand new submarine from either Germany or South Korea, but even that bid was suspended.

It was only when the current military government took power in 2014 that the Navy felt itself closer to realising its dream.

The three submarines are Yuan Class S26 T, which have been developed exclusively for Thailand based on China’s Yuan Class Type 039 A. 

They would be nearly 78 metres long and 9 metres wide, equipped with the latest technology AIP (Air Independent Propulsion) system, that would allow them to dive consecutively up to 21 days without surfacing. Normal nuclear-based submarines can dive around seven to 10 days.

The deal would cost Thailand Bt3.6 billion.

Sensing the criticism of the Navy’s obsession with acquiring submarines, Prayut urged the public to understand why the country needed the subs, and that too from China.

“The submarines from China are the cheapest with the quality relatively acceptable. It has also offered services after purchase, something extra that we have received. I asked my Deputy Prime Minister Prawit [Wongsuwan], and he is ready for any examination of their worthiness.

“We are not rich, and we don’t have much money to spend [on them]. We cannot build them on our own so we have to buy them from others,” said Prayut.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310014

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-23

They would be nearly 78 metres long and 9 metres wide, equipped with the latest technology AIP (Air Independent Propulsion) system, that would allow them to dive consecutively up to 21 days without surfacing.

Normal nuclear-based submarines can dive around seven to 10 days.

Check your facts jack...

A submarine of the German Navy has set a new record for conventional submarines. Thanks to its fuel cells, it has remained uninterrupted for 18 days. Even German submarines had probably been on a dive longer than U 32. Thus the commander of U 977 of the German Kriegsmarine declared that his boat had remained under water for 1945 during the flight to Argentina. Only the diesel engines were supplied with fresh air at night via so-called snorkel. Even two days longer to maximum snorkel depth drove 1943 allegedly the U 978 during a patrol before Norway. A record is the dive of U 32 so only insofar as the boat unlike its predecessors did not even have to rise near the water surface.

The record for the longest dive continues however a Russian nuclear submarine. The Russian nuclear submarine TK-208 holds the record for the longest dive ever. In 1984, the then Soviet boat remained uninterrupted for 121 days, ten days longer than the previous record holder, the British submarine HMS Warspite, a year Previously dived 111 days. Both submarines had an atomic drive. Such boats may remain under water as long as the crew has sufficient supplies and oxygen supplies.

Edited by tomacht8

I have not noticed any operational or strategic reason for the purchase. "Having a dream to own a submarine" is not sufficient reason to spend large sums from the national budget, neither is the fact that they are cheap or include after-sale service.

The way the purchase is justified by the government is frankly very odd and sounds like a child wanting a toy which will be put aside 2 weeks after purchase.

Could you imagine the same article written about a developed nation with more transparent government? I couldn't.

Kind of like what they did with their aircraft carrier without planes?

"nuclear powered" meaning "diesel-electric"
"good deal" meaning a happy admiral finally gettin his naval bases some action
"territorial power" meaning everybody having internet access can track them bitches 
and last but not least it will be "supporting the (moored) aircraft carrier (without planes capable of taking off or landing)"

I smell success :D  

Sinecures yes.Opportunities for command, and all the status that goes with that, yes.

Payback for loyally toeing the junta line, definitely.

I don't however really think that time at sea has much to do with it - although I'm sure that there will be at least one trip out if only to provide footage of a submarine diving to update the video they show whilst playing the National Anthem on TV!

Ironically I suspect this is going to burn through so much cash that the regime is going to run really short on funds, and therefore favours are soon going to be in very short supply indeed.

"Command-at-sea" being more a term of art here... I totally agree that actual underway time will likely be limited. Still, there are plenty of opportunities for raising cash from new & increased taxes, as I've previously mentioned. ... everything from VAT to seatbelt fines. And foreigners can ALWAYS be squeezed for more ... until they get fed up and start going somewhere else with a less exploitational and less xenophobic environment.