Where Can Thais Go?

Please can any advise as my wife and daughter are both Thai holding Thai passports and I want to take them somewhere that does not require a Visa in advance, somewhere where they can get a visa on arrival like Argentina (I beleive), Malaysia, Singapore, Honk Kong etc..

I would like to take them to India of Africa but need to know if they need to get a tourist Visa in advance.

Any replies most welcome please.

I took my missus to Bali a couple of months ago, and she was issued an Indonesian Visa on arrival... no problems.

Thanks Jai Dee, I never thought about Bali so will add that to my list.

Anyone know of any other places??

Koratlover, I believe Korea is also one of the countries.

Also, this subject was discussed several months ago, but i don't remember the subj heading. You might try using the search function. Regards, BD

I took my missus to Bali a couple of months ago, and she was issued an Indonesian Visa on arrival... no problems.

Thanks Jai Dee, I never thought about Bali so will add that to my list.

Anyone know of any other places??

Just remember to make sure she has at least 6 months validity on her passport.

It cost me US$100 to "grease the wheels" with the Indonesian Immigration officials to allow my missus in... she only had 3 months validity remaining on her passport.

I think Indonesia gives free visas to Thais on arrival.

(unlike Europeans, who have to pay)

Correct - done a Bali trip with TGF. I paid, she was free.

I think that any ASEAN country is OK for Thais but there may be a VOA fee to pay for some destinations.

Also Peru is OK but a long way away, unfortunately.

Hong Kong and Macau are OK.

On a related note, does anyone know if a European needs to obtain a visa in advance for Vietnam? Thinking of taking TGF on a holiday there.

DM

On a related note, does anyone know if a European needs to obtain a visa in advance for Vietnam? Thinking of taking TGF on a holiday there.

DM

Most Europeans need a visa. You can get it at the Bangkok Embassy, Wirles Road, next to Plaza Athenee. Last time I checked the fee was Baht 1850 for single tourist.

Most Europeans need a visa. You can get it at the Bangkok Embassy, Wirles Road, next to Plaza Athenee. Last time I checked the fee was Baht 1850 for single tourist.

vietnam visa was 1850 last time i got one bout 6 months ago & they needed al full working week to issue it & the GF got stamped in nps on arrival. i didn't tell them i was in a rush or anything but i thought that was kind of long to get a 1 month tourist visa. i was timing it for when my 30 day border run stamp ran out & i just made it!

i wonder if many people would use saigon at all if the visa price was cheaper to get thai tourist visa? greta city, good fun & cheap also!

Edited by chokdeekrap

vietnam visa was 1850 last time i got one bout 6 months ago & they needed al full working week to issue it & the GF got stamped in nps on arrival. i didn't tell them i was in a rush or anything but i thought that was kind of long to get a 1 month tourist visa. i was timing it for when my 30 day border run stamp ran out & i just made it!

i wonder if many people would use saigon at all if the visa price was cheaper to get thai tourist visa? greta city, good fun & cheap also!

Just returned from Vietnam and yes you do need to go to a embassy to get a visa before traveling. Your GF will get 30 days on arrival. I went to the Consulate at Khon Kaen, i dropped my documents off at 11.00am and picked them back up with the visa at 05.00pm, all done in a day, very good service. Oh and only 1800 baht.

I took my missus to:-

1) Laos, over the friendship bridge - easy. Her thoughts "Thailand better, Thailand better...."

2) Korea, they grilled us for an hour and tapped her into the computer added to my passport details. Her thoughts "Thailand no1, Thailand better..."

[You shouldn't have problems going to Korea as long as you're together and have return flights. Thai air do a special low fares for Thais, to Korea.]

3) I tried Phuket. Her thoughts "My province better. Nakon N better."

Now I go on my own.

Good luck and have a nice holiday.

Jason

Please can any advise as my wife and daughter are both Thai holding Thai passports and I want to take them somewhere that does not require a Visa in advance, somewhere where they can get a visa on arrival like Argentina (I beleive), Malaysia, Singapore, Honk Kong etc..

I would like to take them to India of Africa but need to know if they need to get a tourist Visa in advance.

Any replies most welcome please.

Scratch Argentina from your list. Argentina definitely DOES require a visa for Thais. My (Thai) wife and I just returned from there, and they do require a visa.

So far as other countries are concerned, nearby countries such as Malaysia do not require a visa and neither do exotic places like Laos and Cambodia. Perhaps Viet Nam is in that same category.

But for interesting places to go, I believe that South Africa does not require a visa, and neither does Brazil. If you are considering a spot in Europe, you should check with the respective country's embassy. With the aftermath of 9/11 plus new restrictions by the EU, rules become antiquated overnight. We had a very traumatic experience transising through Spain on the return trip to Thailand because we were using some outdated rules.

Good luck, and do your homework first.

i dropped my documents off at 11.00am and picked them back up with the visa at 05.00pm, all done in a day, very good service.
that sounds more like it. i was wondering why the viet embassy in bkk wanted a full working week to process a simple tourist visa when i applied. but as it fell on the day before my VOA expired i wasn't too worried so i didn't ask any questions.
Oh and only 1800 baht.

i couldn't remember if it was 1800 or 1900 baht.

Edited by chokdeekrap

Jason,

Thank you. I was hoping to see Laos listed as a positive. I just learned I've gotta run for the border like Willie Nelson, and my driver's Thai. Road trip! I think the only time he left Thailand was to live in Virginia for four years. Unlike me, he still has an American driver's license. I think he'll enjoy Laos.

Michael

A visa for Argentina is a pain! Tried to get one for my wife, who has a US Green Card, and was told she had to appear in person at the embassy to get a visa. Forget that.

Japan has an application process also. Fairly easy in the US, harder in Thailand (they required some crazy form of paperwork from her village, can't remember exactly what it was for though....either criminal or birth related). I did it from the US and had to submit bank statements, tax returns, etc.

Bali, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Macau, were all VOA and free! Heading to S. Korea next year, so glad to hear it will be easy....

Philippines no problem at all................My girlfriend has been staying with me since June on the tourist visa she got upon arrival. Just have to renew it so often.

You may want to take the family to Cebu or Boracay..................nice locations for vacation. I live in Manila (Ayala Alabang) and it is not much for sight to seeing......dirty, polluted and no beaches.

A visa for Argentina is a pain! Tried to get one for my wife, who has a US Green Card, and was told she had to appear in person at the embassy to get a visa. Forget that.

Japan has an application process also. Fairly easy in the US, harder in Thailand (they required some crazy form of paperwork from her village, can't remember exactly what it was for though....either criminal or birth related). I did it from the US and had to submit bank statements, tax returns, etc.

Bali, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Macau, were all VOA and free! Heading to S. Korea next year, so glad to hear it will be easy....

My wife was admitted to Japan with visa on arrival. No problem. Since we had our baby with us an immigration lady let us sit in the waiting area and they went to get the visa for my wife. Very helpful and did not take long.