Hey, that’s my elephant in Phuket; says Krabi mahoot

webfact

Hey, that’s my elephant in Phuket; says Krabi mahoot

Eakkapop Thongtub

1490327379_1-org.jpg

Is this elephant 'Yo' or 'Nampetch'? Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Investigations are continuing into claims that an elephant currently in the care of an elephant camp in Chalong is in fact an elephant alleged to have been stolen from an elephant camp in Krabi 14 years ago.

At 4pm yesterday (Mar 24), Cdr Surasak Inphrom of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command in Phang Nga together with fellow Navy officers and the owner of a female elephant named “Yo” went to Chalong Police Station to file a report stating that an elephant at an elephant camp in Chalong is an elephant named Yo who was stolen from Krabi 14 years ago.

Mr Somsak Reangngern, 35, Yo’s mahout said, “Yo was registered in Surin province in July 2001, and shortly after that I took Yo to work in Phuket and Phang Nga.

“In 2014 Yo and myself were working in Krabi and Yo was pregnant. One day after finishing work I tied the elephant in the forest near the elephant camp, when I returned in the morning Yo was gone.

“I have been searching for Yo ever since,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/hey-that-my-elephant-in-phuket-says-krabi-mahoot-61517.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-24

I'm fairly sure I saw this particular elephant yesterday walking past my house. It has some fairly distinct white pigmentation on it's hindquarters.

We were very surprised to see it going past us and the dogs shat themselves having never smelt nor heard an elephant before.

I was surprised it still had the tourist seating basket on it's back considering they were moving it to a new location. There were two guys with it, one riding on it's neck.There is an elephant camp not far up Big Buddha hill and this would be a route to move an elephant away in a hurry.