Queen honours British minister who tried to save policeman

rooster59

Queen honours British minister who tried to save policeman

640x640 (2).jpg

British Member of Parliament Tobias Ellwood walks past floral tributes as he arrives at the Houses of Parliament, following a recent attack in Westminster, London, Britain March 24, 2017. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - British foreign affairs minister Tobias Ellwood who tried to resuscitate a police officer stabbed to death in the attack on Britain's parliament has been honoured by Queen Elizabeth, the prime minister's office said on Friday.

Ellwood and security minister Ben Wallace, who helped coordinate the government's response to Wednesday's attack, were appointed to the Privy Council, which has advised the monarch since the Norman era and is comprised of senior politicians, judges and bishops.

Ellwood, a former captain in the British army, received widespread public attention when he was pictured with blood on his face and hands after joining unsuccessful attempts to revive PC Keith Palmer, one of four people killed by Khalid Masood who ploughed a vehicle into pedestrians on a bridge and than ran through the gates of parliament armed with a knife. The attacker was shot dead by armed police officers. [nL5N1H03TT]

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, although it was unclear what links, if any, Masood had with the militant group.

The attack was the deadliest in Britain since 2005, when 52 people were killed by Islamist suicide bombers on London's public transport system. [nL5N1H05C9]

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-25

He deserves it as being an MP certainly had no influence how he automatically tried to help a fellow human being.  Instinct kicked in and with him being ex Army he had the 1st aid training. Hats off to him and those others who also helped other victims

He was a member of my old regiment The Royal Green Jackets
"Swift and Bold" is our moto

1 hour ago, whatawonderfulday said:

He deserves it as being an MP certainly had no influence how he automatically tried to help a fellow human being.  Instinct kicked in and with him being ex Army he had the 1st aid training. Hats off to him and those others who also helped other victims

You would think so and be correct.

However if you read many of the comments on these 2 thread of the local paper where he is the MP for Bournemouth East, they do not agree with you at all.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15181051.Hero_Bournemouth_MP_Tobias_Ellwood_honoured_for_actions_in_Westminster_terror_attack/

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15178966.Bournemouth_MP_Tobias_Ellwood___Everyone_is_still_in_shock___but_we_won_t_let_extremists_win_/

I have read some of the posts you allude to and most of the negative comments relate to Mr Elwood's stance on a number of different political issues not to his actions that day
However to get back to the OP I personally believe that if anyone should be honoured for their actions it should PC Keith Palmer who lost his life while protecting others.
Tragically he now joins a long list of Police Officers who have lost their lives protecting the public they serve
RIP PC Palmer

Well earned and a brave man indeed.

Was the Irish woman, equally heroic, also honoured? I truly hope so.

Joanne Saunsbury, aged 34 from Wexford town......

She rushed off the coach to help the injured - and initially thought she had ended up on the set of a horror movie.

She said: “One person there wasn’t moving. He was non-responsive and I was trying to get him to breathe and to get his heart beating, so I was doing CPR.

“The person I was helping was severely wounded... It was just horrific, there was blood and there were people lying in pools of blood.

“I was doing CPR until the paramedics came. I learned CPR from my training with the Order of Malta in Wexford, I kept it up.

Edited by harleyclarkey

I’ve saved quite a few lives;..... I wonder when Lizzie is going to honour me,

Oh! That’s right, for me it was all in the line of duty, and, I wasn’t a former British

Army Captain or an MP

Any way,  well done Mr Ellwood for having a go.

Have a Nice Day

Oh! That’s right, for me it was all in the line of duty, and, I wasn’t a former British Army Captain or an MP

Have a Nice Day

What were you?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

You would think so and be correct.

However if you read many of the comments on these 2 thread of the local paper where he is the MP for Bournemouth East, they do not agree with you at all.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15181051.Hero_Bournemouth_MP_Tobias_Ellwood_honoured_for_actions_in_Westminster_terror_attack/

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15178966.Bournemouth_MP_Tobias_Ellwood___Everyone_is_still_in_shock___but_we_won_t_let_extremists_win_/

I am proud to say that we (UK citizens) can say whatever we choose about our MP's and PM's etc - no matter how stupid or ill-informed our opinions may be.

I'm far from a troll Bill,  and to roo860 i was a Firefighter for over 30 years

so ive dealt with my fair share of death and destruction.

I'm sorry if i came across a little bit bitter in my last post but there are

many unsung heros out there and because they are just ordinary people

on the street they never seem to get any recognition....maybe Mr Ellwood

feels the same...he just did what he had to do in the situation at hand.

I also believe that first aid should be taught in all schools and maybe

a lot more lives could be saved.

Have a nice Day.

On 25/03/2017 at 9:40 AM, harleyclarkey said:

Well earned and a brave man indeed.

Was the Irish woman, equally heroic, also honoured? I truly hope so.

Joanne Saunsbury, aged 34 from Wexford town......

She rushed off the coach to help the injured - and initially thought she had ended up on the set of a horror movie.

She said: “One person there wasn’t moving. He was non-responsive and I was trying to get him to breathe and to get his heart beating, so I was doing CPR.

“The person I was helping was severely wounded... It was just horrific, there was blood and there were people lying in pools of blood.

“I was doing CPR until the paramedics came. I learned CPR from my training with the Order of Malta in Wexford, I kept it up.

A lot of people assisted... I hope they all will be honoured but in such a situation it will be hard to trace them all.

The one thing I like about our culture is that we don't do 'Hero'! Plenty step forward if an opportunity arises but a good many shun the limelight afterwards or make a pigs ear of the interview if forced before the cameras.

I recall a soldier in my Regiment who created quite a stir when the police turned up looking for him in the 80s. He hadn't said a word but it transpired that he had rugby tackled, disarmed and apprehended a bank robber armed with a sawn off shotgun & had handed him over, swag and all and disappeared like batman as soon as it was safe to do so hoping to remain anonymous.

He was new to the Regt straight out of the depot.

On 25/03/2017 at 1:34 PM, firefox999uk said:

Oh! That’s right, for me it was all in the line of duty, and, I wasn’t a former British

Army Captain or an MP

Have a Nice Day

It was your job.

Apart from The Queens Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals, members of the Fire service may get:

• The Long Service and Good Conduct medal is awarded for 20 years meritorious service.
  • The Queen's Fire Service Medal is awarded for distinguished service.
  • The Queen's Gallantry Medal is awarded for exemplary acts of bravery.

And some Fire Fighters have even been awarded the George Medal or George Cross for outstanding acts of bravery.

On 3/26/2017 at 5:55 PM, firefox999uk said:

I'm far from a troll Bill,  and to roo860 i was a Firefighter for over 30 years so ive dealt with my fair share of death and destruction.  I'm sorry if i came across a little bit bitter in my last post but there are

many unsung heros out there and because they are just ordinary people on the street they never seem to get any recognition....maybe Mr Ellwood feels the same...he just did what he had to do in the situation at hand.  I also believe that first aid should be taught in all schools and maybe a lot more lives could be saved.

Have a nice Day.

My apologies. I was responding to evadgib's post.

I know that you are not,but there are so many out there nowadays which I why I don't bother that much with TVF anymore.

He is in all the news due to his position and it was seen/photographed by the media. Anyhow well done for trying to save the officer. 

No doubt others will be honoured for their part in helping victims, they are surely known by the authorities. However they probably won't get the media attention of the MP. 

Whatever. Well done to all that helped. 

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

My apologies. I was responding to evadgib's post.

I know that you are not,but there are so many out there nowadays which I why I don't bother that much with TVF anymore.

Apology accepted Bill.....I thought it was a bit out of character from you.

Cheers for the reply.

Have a Nice Day

6 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

No doubt others will be honoured for their part in helping victims, they are surely known by the authorities. However they probably won't get the media attention of the MP. 

Not so sure on that, although the police will if the can get names of potential witnesses, if I was giving first aid to anyone once the professionals arrived, I would tell them what they need to know and get out their way sharpish. 

As I understand it, Ellwood was outside in the courtyard at the time and all MP,s were being told to go inside, he choose  to disobey orders and went to the aid of PC Keith Palmer, good on him.

The privy Council has more members than their are MP's, and the only time there is a full meeting is on the demise or abdication of the Monarch, normally only a select few attend meetings and the Queen always stays standing up to keep the meetings short.