Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

it doesn't matter to me if someone can not pay me back but to be honest about Thai people when they can not pay back at least they show a lot of gratitude and offer to help as much as they can, not like others who just forget about you.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

Of course.

But Thais are the best friends money can buy, so many that haven't been here for 10 yrs+ might not see it.

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Sorry to dampen such white hot wit, but if you read again I think you'll find I'm not actually involved in the story. :laugh:

Are you part of the "us" in your thread title?  If not, then what the freak are you talking about?

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Are you part of the "us" in your thread title?  If not, then what the freak are you talking about?

I think you'll find the title is a question, not a statement.

Are you okay Bershire, you seem awfully defensive. :huh:

Just now, Happy Grumpy said:

Post number 6 might give that away. 5555

This is one of the advantages of not being wealthy. No one scratches my Toyota pick-up or burgles our house.

Actually it used to surprise me years ago how expensive cars such as Mercedes-Benz would sometimes be parked on roads next to slums and yet they would never be vandalized. Had your friend  HG upset the security guards in some way?

I think you'll find the title is a question, not a statement.

Are you okay Bershire, you seem awfully defensive. :huh:

The point, HG, is that your entire premise is wrong.  "Many Thais" do not hate us.  If some do, it has nothing to do with perceived wealth.  Do poor Thais automatically hate rich Thais?  Do poor farangs hate rich farangs?  It's a rather simpleton assumption. 

So since your premise and thread title is grossly inaccurate, i.e., dead wrong, what then is your question?   

I don't know what they feel, but at this point enough of them have money that it's pointless to hate foreigners b/c of the perception that we're wealthier. Look around. Sure seems like their fellow Thais are the ones showing off anything they have.

58 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Do poor Thais automatically hate rich Thais? 

This is close to a yes.

The word 'automatically' kind of indicates it is from birth. Which of course it isn't. Nurture not nature. 

Schadenfreude exists within every culture, in Thailand they take it to the extreme, but keep it well hidden. 

Except when the country almost erupts into rich versus poor civil war.... of course. 

Edited by DLang

6 minutes ago, DLang said:

This is close to a yes.

The word 'automatically' kind of indicates it is from birth. Which of course it isn't. Nurture not nature. 

Schadenfreude exists within every culture, in Thailand they take it to the extreme, but keep it well hidden. 

Except when the country almost erupts into rich versus poor civil war.... of course. 

You really don't understand Thai culture.  In high power distance societies, of which Thailand largely is, people tend to accept their place in the pecking order.  This completely contradicts your point. 

8 hours ago, bannork said:

Actually it used to surprise me years ago how expensive cars such as Mercedes-Benz would sometimes be parked on roads next to slums and yet they would never be vandalized.

Simple reason.

The Thais know that the owners would be able to tie them to a tree and beat them to within an inch of their life for doing so. :)

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

In high power distance societies, of which Thailand largely is, people tend to accept their place in the pecking order.  This completely contradicts your point. 

Actually, this has been changing quite rapidly over the past 10-15 years (as technology has developed.)

Which completely nullifies your point. 

16 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Actually, this has been changing quite rapidly over the past 10-15 years (as technology has developed.)

Which completely nullifies your point. 

True.

Berkshire is either clueless, well behind the times, a troll, or all three.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

Based on the OP's history of posting negative crap about Thais, and that birds of the same feather tend to stick together, I would be quite surprised if the OP's friend didn't do something to antagonize the security guards. That is, of course, if the story isn't just made up garbage.  

36 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

No, not true.  You're more clueless than I am. 

Evidently not.

Clueless, asleep for the last 20 years, or a troll.

Which one of those are you?

In fact, no need to answer and pollute the thread.

4 minutes ago, DLang said:

Evidently not.

Clueless, asleep for the last 20 years, or a troll.

Which one of those are you?

In fact, no need to answer and pollute the thread.

You're about as dumb as they come.  Why am I even talking to you?

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

In high power distance societies, of which Thailand largely is, people tend to accept their place in the pecking order.  

Asleep for the last 20 years, and a troll it is then.

On 3/26/2017 at 6:30 AM, whoareyou said:

Can't believe it, a thai bashing thread that failed to gain momentum?

Funny how we see things in different perspectives. I was thinking this thread would lead to farang bashing. 

I would say that many Thai people dislike us and have a low impression of farang. The reasons for this should be obvious. 

One theory is our relative wealth, the fact that we buy their women and guys, the fact we have bad breath, the fact we smell bad in general, the fact we really have no money when it comes down to it, the fact we are drunk at 10 am on a Sunday in Pattaya, the fact that we complain incessantly about anything Thai, that we also never say anything nice about another farang confirming their dislike, that we give a beggar a few baht and feel that makes us worthy of staying without a visa, the list goes on forever as far as valid reasons Thais may hate or dislike us.

The truth about our wealth is that most farang living in Thailand would be under the poverty line back home. We constantly compare places to live and rate them on what is the absolutely cheapest place that let's anybody in. The Thais themselves are seeing this and efforts are being made to limit those types.

This leads me to conclude that these days the Thais are actually beginning to resent our lack of wealth in many ways. So it is possible that they have the impression that we are all millionaires but the kind that never spend a dime.

Look at the sampling size the Thais have seen since the VN war. Tell me you would want the large majority of those kind of people visiting your country and living there?

So to answer the question I don't think Thai people hate farang solely based upon our perceived wealth.

Berkshire was proven to be a troll long ago. Pay no heed. :thumbsup:

I'll take Berkshire's perspectives on Thailand and Thais over the constipated, fossilized,  pre-senile, smug, contrived "insights" which you and DLang dish out with depressingly dependable regularity any day of the week. You two seriously need to drink more prune juice.