Thai Cabinet set to mull China submarine deal

webfact

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut insisted the submarines were needed because the Kingdom’s small submarine fleet was decommissioned in 1951

And for the last 66 years, the total lack of submarine capabilities has been a very very very serious problem for Thailand... 

:whistling:

2 hours ago, tbthailand said:

And for the last 66 years, the total lack of submarine capabilities has been a very very very serious problem for Thailand... 

:whistling:

...  because they have nothing to practise on, after recruits graduate from their  "£10m headquarters and training centre for its submarine squadron"  at Sattahip.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/07/thailand-new-naval-base-submarines

Oh, they're going to "mull" the issue are they...    Yes, obviously there'll be lots of objective discussion.

B18B.  Geez.  Jaw-dropping yet somehow totally believable.  A thread discussing what else the country could do with B18B. would be interesting.

So the last fleet was decomissioned in 1951,  are they going to dust off the old submariners to train the new ones?

Lol. 66 years on, they'll need to be morticians, or maybe archeologists, to distinguish the "dust" from the . . . emm, other stuff...

On 3/29/2017 at 0:18 AM, FredNL said:

A bit overpriced subs... 
They can better buy submarines build in the Netherlands. 
They will cost less than 150 million Euro / pc. (Bt 5.5 billion)
And quality will be 100 times better than something made in China with their 12 m warranty. (m stands for meter, not for month)

I doubt that The Netherlands would sell weapons to a military junta.

What's more, I rather suspect that Thailands "informal approach" to some of the financial aspects of such arms deals would not find favour with The Netherlands.

I imagine that the "procurement avenues" are somewhat limited.

Edited by JAG

7 hours ago, JAG said:
On 3/28/2017 at 7:18 PM, FredNL said:

A bit overpriced subs... 
They can better buy submarines build in the Netherlands. 
They will cost less than 150 million Euro / pc. (Bt 5.5 billion)
And quality will be 100 times better than something made in China with their 12 m warranty. (m stands for meter, not for month)

What's more, I rather suspect that Thailands "informal approach" to some of the financial aspects of such arms deals would not find favour with The Netherlands.

the other point to look at is the fact that even at 2 for 3 pricing they are still too expensive.... That usually means that the price-delta is the deal-making ... er, I mean value-add, ... er, I mean unique-feature of the purchase.... :coffee1:

the other point to look at is the fact that even at 2 for 3 pricing they are still too expensive.... That usually means that the price-delta is the deal-making ... er, I mean value-add, ... er, I mean unique-feature of the purchase.... :coffee1:

Yes, expensive can be good - it increases the value of the percentages...

Maybe this is why they want them. I sure hope not.  

Today, Vietnam's total military service members outnumber Thailand's more than six times and the former's active troops are 1.5 times Thailand's. Vietnam's ground force arsenal of vehicles outnumbers Thailand's quite heavily. Vietnam's navy and air force are on par or outmatch their Thailand's counterpart, and Vietnam had a fleet of submarines while Thailand had an aircraft carrier.

In my opinion, Thailand is a country with military inferior to that of Vietnam. Its military is not small, but if there is war, Vietnam will grind it to dust. Frankly saying, Thailand is not going to conquer anyone. It does not even have the gut to settle old scores with Cambodia or Lao, and it probably never will as long as the two countries are allied with Vietnam. Basically, it is Thailand that should be worried that it would be conquered by Vietnam, but fortunately, the Vietnamese leadership does not seem to want any war right now.

Some Junta,a real one would oust you by Lunchtime [emoji572]️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

57 minutes ago, kowpot said:

Today, Vietnam's total military service members outnumber Thailand's more than six times and the former's active troops are 1.5 times Thailand's. Vietnam's ground force arsenal of vehicles outnumbers Thailand's quite heavily. Vietnam's navy and air force are on par or outmatch their Thailand's counterpart, and Vietnam had a fleet of submarines while Thailand had an aircraft carrier.

In my opinion, Thailand is a country with military inferior to that of Vietnam. Its military is not small, but if there is war, Vietnam will grind it to dust. Frankly saying, Thailand is not going to conquer anyone. It does not even have the gut to settle old scores with Cambodia or Lao, and it probably never will as long as the two countries are allied with Vietnam. Basically, it is Thailand that should be worried that it would be conquered by Vietnam, but fortunately, the Vietnamese leadership does not seem to want any war right now.

Vietnam has a border with China. A border where, relatively recently (1979) they fought a short but rather fierce war.

To conquer Thailand Vietnam would first have to conquer Cambodia and or Laos. I'm sure that they could, if they wanted to, but do they show any interest in doing so?

The Vietnamese military is there in the size and strength it is because they are worried about China. not Thailand.

Edited by JAG

11 minutes ago, JAG said:

Vietnam has a border with China. A border where, relatively recently (1979) they fought a short but rather fierce war.

To conquer Thailand Vietnam would first have to conquer Cambodia and or Laos. I'm sure that they could, if they wanted to, but do they show any interest in doing so?

The Vietnamese military is there in the size and strength it is because they are worried about China. not Thailand.

I totally agree. I don't foresee any conflict between the two.  Just wondering if because of past history if it has anything to do with wanting the subs. Also, China's willingness to give a 3 for 2 deal. As you say, Vietnam and China are not the best of buddies............

One note though.  Thailand and Cambodia don't have the greatest history together either. Not sure if Cambodia would side with Thailand. But again, China's influence could come into play................

Edited by kowpot

Vietnam has China to worry about (as do most other independently minded and resource hungry countries in the region). No one in Thailand could sanely consider Vietnam to be a military threat. 'A growing economic rival? Definitely.

The LAST thing this submarine deal is about is national defense.