Selling up and leaving Thailand

autanic

14 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Isn't the point of retirement though buying a place not renting? Rent is dead money unless you are a landlord raking it in.

HK if you are on a tight budget is in no way suitable. Quality of life etc as I mentioned before. 

Not really. Owning a house elsewhere and renting it for $600 a week whilst only paying $280 a week yourself makes a lot more sense. Just basic maths. Buying overseas only makes sense if you have control over it and political situation is stable. Neither applies to land deals in Thailand.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree with you there on this part : Buying overseas only makes sense if you have control over it and political situation is stable. Neither applies to land deals in Thailand.

Owning a house 'somewhere else' or 'properties' and having an income from those and paying rent is doable. Country specific though. 

We have properties in Australia but we bough here years ago as we wanted to own rather than 'rent'. Rent to me is burning money as I said. It makes sense if you are a retiree but you cannot control the property, as in will you have to move one day because the landlord decides to sell? What about the feel of settling in and suddenly it is all gone because of a landlord and you need to find another place?

I'll give you another example of an 'ideal' retirement. 

My parents bought properties in Sydney when I was a kid and the place was a heaven for buyers before the bust. Before it all went bottoms up and the average user could not even buy a first home. Thanks gov. 

Fast forward years later in Australia my dad retired, my mum still worked but the tax on those properties as they amounted in value was something else. Smart accountants sure, the properties are around Macquarie uni in Sydney so have five bedroom houses with a bunch of students paying up to AUD200 in rent for a room is a smart investment.

Mum after my dad's death every year she went back to Switzerland for six or so months, living off the rents and living the good life because she hated the winder in Oz lol. Wish one day I had the energy to do that.

That's why I like buying vs rent.

Isn't the point of retirement though buying a place not renting? Rent is dead money unless you are a landlord raking it in.

HK if you are on a tight budget is in no way suitable. Quality of life etc as I mentioned before. 

Absolutely. Overseas real estate got smashed to smithereens in the wake of the sub prime crises forcing tens of thousands back to the west and out of thailand.

Rents fizzled out as well obviously.

Thailand was unaffected and the insane boom in condo prices in bangkok leads the way

Always best to buy where you retire. What a nightmare to try and live off rental incomes in the West.. People breaking leases and you can do nothing, well because you here.. getting raped by the government on rental income tax and rates and paying 3 times more for common area fees

Avoid that garbage and just buy locally. You don't even need to pay 10 grand USA $ for a solicitor.. You don't need one here!

7 hours ago, Minnie the Minx said:

I'll give you another example of an 'ideal' retirement. 

My parents bought properties in Sydney when I was a kid and the place was a heaven for buyers before the bust. Before it all went bottoms up and the average user could not even buy a first home. Thanks gov. 

Fast forward years later in Australia my dad retired, my mum still worked but the tax on those properties as they amounted in value was something else. Smart accountants sure, the properties are around Macquarie uni in Sydney so have five bedroom houses with a bunch of students paying up to AUD200 in rent for a room is a smart investment.

Mum after my dad's death every year she went back to Switzerland for six or so months, living off the rents and living the good life because she hated the winder in Oz lol. Wish one day I had the energy to do that.

That's why I like buying vs rent.

You have rich parents. Not everyone gets born with a silver spoon.

6 hours ago, Ijustcashier said:

Absolutely. Overseas real estate got smashed to smithereens in the wake of the sub prime crises forcing tens of thousands back to the west and out of thailand.

Rents fizzled out as well obviously.

Thailand was unaffected and the insane boom in condo prices in bangkok leads the way

Always best to buy where you retire. What a nightmare to try and live off rental incomes in the West.. People breaking leases and you can do nothing, well because you here.. getting raped by the government on rental income tax and rates and paying 3 times more for common area fees

Avoid that garbage and just buy locally. You don't even need to pay 10 grand USA $ for a solicitor.. You don't need one here!

Overseas? You are implying that what happened in the US happened everywhere else. It didnt. 

People who sell a house in the west and buy a condo in a cheap asian country are locked out of ever buying in the west again. If things turn sour they are stuck there. A lot of farangs lose the starry eyes after 5 or 10 years.

6 hours ago, Minnie the Minx said:

6 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Not really. Owning a house elsewhere and renting it for $600 a week whilst only paying $280 a week yourself makes a lot more sense. Just basic maths. Buying overseas only makes sense if you have control over it and political situation is stable. Neither applies to land deals in Thailand.

I think that a generic discussion of rent vs buy is really a discussion for another thread. Each country has its own considerations and our individual personal financial circumstances cannot always be used as a role model for others to follow. I would also not let the affordability of purchasing absolutely dictate where I wanted to live. For those in a certain financial bracket and who want to think about it, I have pointed out some rental options in HK and if that is where you want to be, try it out. PS rental leases are typically 2 years (1+1) and visa on arrival 180 days, renewable each time you re-enter.

On 29/03/2017 at 9:07 AM, iancnx said:

I have been here for nearly 11 years, and I am off soon to relocate back to UK.  I echo the OP's post.  My main reason for leaving is my 4yo son's education, about to start Primary School.  I have been far more focussed on the negatives here the last couple of years and how they might impact on him in time, such as the drug dealer next door who has been banged up twice in four years, and his motley crew..... and I live out in the sticks.

It is certainly not the Thailand of 11 years ago I am sad to say.

OP ATB

Good luck with the UK move ........

I lived in LOS for many yrs also and moved back to the UK for the same reasons as yourself ...........

You think Thailand is bad for crime ? wait to you get back to the UK lol. The place is an absolute tip and the cost of living is ridiculously expensive an rising .The weather is wet & windy an grey most of the time ,that will really get you down and the getting used to living indoors all the time while pumping heating oil thru the radiators to try keep from freezing to death will also cost a fortune.

Cant see your Mrs happy with eating Farang food so get ready for the expensive orders of Thai veg etc etc

The schools in the UK dont even let the kids out during class to visit the toilet so they sit there busting for classes on end .I had to threaten them with legal action and in the end gave her a toilet pass lol ridiculous <deleted>. Hope your little one gets used to staying indoors all the time cause its too cold and wet outside to go play most of the time too.

After being back in the UK 5 yrs i can hand on heart say i made the wrong decision moving back to the UK on every level. Moving back to Thailand July time . Good to head back to Blighty to appreciate the things in Thailand let me tell ya.

Good luck 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Ijustcashier said:

Manilla is highly recommended. Low crime, low traffic, amazing street food and very drug friendly.. Let us know how you go emoji12.png

Your doses of mind altering drugs needs to be reduced, or you are being extremely sarcastic. I think it is likely the latter.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:23 AM, SheungWan said:

Don't some people live in Penang hoping it is a sort of half-way house?

Both Penang and Kuantan are very nice places to relocate to, good international schools (pricy but good quality) and if you can afford the Malaysia second home program, visa no problem. Excellent health care and much safer traffic than Thailand.

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Both Penang and Kuantan are very nice places to relocate to, good international schools (pricy but good quality) and if you can afford the Malaysia second home program, visa no problem. Excellent health care and much safer traffic than Thailand.

Every time I've been to Penang the heat has been truly oppressive, regardless of the time of year.

Edited by bannork

Depends on age and how long someone has left. I can't see the point in buying if late 60s/70s, the property may go down in price also. And if you leave the property to a relative they may not want to live there and have the hassle of selling it.

Personally, I'm in my 40s and its worth buying at the right price.

Good luck with the UK move ........
           I lived in LOS for many yrs also and moved back to the UK for the same reasons as yourself ...........
                You think Thailand is bad for crime ? wait to you get back to the UK lol. The place is an absolute tip and the cost of living is ridiculously expensive an rising .The weather is wet & windy an grey most of the time ,that will really get you down and the getting used to living indoors all the time while pumping heating oil thru the radiators to try keep from freezing to death will also cost a fortune.
               Cant see your Mrs happy with eating Farang food so get ready for the expensive orders of Thai veg etc etc
               The schools in the UK dont even let the kids out during class to visit the toilet so they sit there busting for classes on end .I had to threaten them with legal action and in the end gave her a toilet pass lol ridiculous . Hope your little one gets used to staying indoors all the time cause its too cold and wet outside to go play most of the time too.
            After being back in the UK 5 yrs i can hand on heart say i made the wrong decision moving back to the UK on every level. Moving back to Thailand July time . Good to head back to Blighty to appreciate the things in Thailand let me tell ya.

Good luck 

Which part of the UK do you live where it's wet and windy most of the time?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On April 12, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Minnie the Minx said:

If you have a limited amount of cash at your disposal be careful where you go.

wise advice. when i tried going cheaper then thailand things started going a little weird, safety wise and other wise. i was taking much more chances.

its all just a lottery but being where you can most afford seems to be the rule of the day.

On 4/11/2017 at 0:26 PM, BigKahuna said:

Where is good to live in Phili?

I'm currently buying a Condo is Davao City.

Davao is the 3rd city of the Philis and by far the safest, cleanest, best run,.....of course this may have something to do with it having been run by Rodrigo Duterte for the last 22 years. Which is why many of the locals want him to do the same for the rest of the country.

There are also plenty of unspoiled beaches nearby and the cost of living is a low as US$500 a month plus rent of US$200+ for a western lifestyle.

Edited by Cracker2000

On 4/6/2017 at 4:01 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Ok but very unlikely because Cambodia is a disaster.

I wouldn't say its a disaster just not improving, other than Phnom Penh, over the last 10 years.

I spent 2 years in PP and although I have several friends who live their I would never settle down and invest in such a lawless country where your property can be taken away from you at the point of a gun any day of the week.

Edited by Cracker2000

12 minutes ago, Cracker2000 said:

I'm currently buying a Condo is Davao City.

Davao is the 3rd city of the Philis and by far the safest, cleanest, best run,.....of course this may have something o do with it having been run by Rodrigo Duterte for the last 22 years. Which is why many of the locals want him to do the same for the rest of the country.

There are also plenty of unspoiled beaches nearby and the cost of living is a low as US$500 a month plus rent of US$200+ for a western lifestyle.

Thanks for your response.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Currently in Manchester, seeing some old folks and thought I would update you all in living in Cambodia.

I moved to Sihanoukville, lots backpacker, tourism and well sex. I visited Pattaya back in 2004 and it is very comparable.

The Pros

1. Your money goes a lot further than back in Thailand. A meal can cost as little as £3 and after a while they know you they keep a table for you, when you might be in the area.

2. Visas, got mine before I left, no visa runs or threats to imprison me if I overstay. Lots of place facilitate the visas, just spend a bit extra and go to a reputable dealer.

3. Food is very similar to Thai, lots of outlets especially Japanese in the malls.

4. Rain, it appears to rain less than in Thailand, so its always a good idea to keep a box of water in a cooler in the car.

5. Sex.  There are plenty of bars with lots village girls in daily. I have a few favourites.

6. Working, you are free to work without fear of being fined. Wifi is abundant, in fact if you turn on your wifi you will get at least 4-5 open networks.

Be careful !!!   Only use your own internet connection.

7. Lots of expats and made more friends in a few months than the past couple of years in Hua Hin.

8. Infrastructure, comparable to Thailand in tourist area.

9. Money Exchange,  use the banks, they will cost you more but its a safe environment, do not change too much at once.

10.  Politics,  I haven't a clue. Certainly not had a Coup for a bit.

Cons

1. Water is a problem. Avoid salads even at expensive restaurants.  It will give you the runs.

2. Dogs seem to be everywhere. Some in poor condition through fighting each other.

3. Police seem to stop you more frequently than in Thailand, coffee money at the ready.

4. Direct flights are expensive. Best to fly to Bangkok and then on to Dubai and Manchester.

5. TV channels are in Khmer.

6. Hotel rooms in even some of the best hotels look like a Brothel room.

7. Child prostitution. Cambodia does have a problem with underage sex, theres no mincing of my words here. I find the exploitation of children disgusting and there are plenty of it going on. That said for normal people, t

8. Flies. I have become a vegetarian because the flies are similar to Australia. If you have ever been to the outback, you will know what I mean. There is a problem in Cambodia too.

Personally, I love Cambodia and I love Thailand. I have found my stay so far in Cambodia to cheap, hassle free and non-political. I have months left on my multiple entry visa and have no plans to return to Thailand its that good. 

For those guys that left the UK or OZ and came to Thailand and had to rough it for a bit, until you knew what you were doing will find the move to Cambodia the same as moving from UK to Thailand.  

There are some excellent private and inexpensive clinics around and you will be seen straight away and very clean, professional staff and prescriptions on site. Dental treatment and opticians are comparable to Thailand. 

All in all, ideal.  

I must say if you are used to the new Thailand with all of its creature comforts, then Cambodia will be hell for you. Everything goes wrong here technologically, which I actually don't mind. 

One of the best nights was back in May when there was a power cut and I lit some candles and lit the mosquito ring, sat outside and read my book by candle light and I could here the sea and spontaneous music and chatter.  Beautiful Country.

I really agree with the point about visas in Cambodia verses Thailand. I think Cambodia acknowledge the benefit foreigners bring to their economy. No minimum bank deposit, no minimum ages, no 3 month reporting like someone on parole. Their whole system makes more sense to me. Letting foreigners stay for prolonged periods can only benefit their country.

On 3/28/2017 at 6:35 PM, dbrenn said:

People go on and on about Cambo - nice for a visit but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. Phnom Penh is a dump, standards of healthcare are much poorer than Thailand, streets are not as safe to walk around, the whole place is a dirty and dusty construction site, etc.

This argument gets quite old and has nothing to do with topic at hand.

Who cares.

I can say the same about Thailand coming from Canada, yet choose to live here. 

On 2017-3-29 at 3:07 PM, iancnx said:

I have been here for nearly 11 years, and I am off soon to relocate back to UK.  I echo the OP's post.  My main reason for leaving is my 4yo son's education, about to start Primary School.  I have been far more focussed on the negatives here the last couple of years and how they might impact on him in time, such as the drug dealer next door who has been banged up twice in four years, and his motley crew..... and I live out in the sticks.

It is certainly not the Thailand of 11 years ago I am sad to say.

OP ATB

That's the price you pay for living in the boonies.  Clear as day that mistake. All those crappy villages have drug dealers so why not move to an inner city area where the schools are better and drugs and crazy village antics are not so rife?