Phuket elephant fight turns into paperchase

snoop1130

Phuket elephant fight turns into paperchase

Eakkapop Thongtub

1490777856_1-org.jpg

The elephant 'Yo', or 'Nampetch', depending on who you believe, remains at the safari camp while officials unravel who legally owns her. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- The two parties claiming they own a female elephant at a tour camp in Phuket have until Friday (Mar 31) to present freshly produced copies of their original elephant registration documents to police in the hope of resolving who – if anyone – legally owns the pachyderm, which is claimed to have been stolen in Krabi 14 years ago.

The deadline was levelled at a meeting held on Friday (Mar 24) at the Amazing Bukit Safari camp in Chalong, where the disputed elephant is kept.

Present at the meeting were brothers Wan and Somsak Reangngern – both siblings who claim the elephant, which they call “Yo”, belongs to their brother Mr Chorp. Assisting the brothers in their claim was Cdr Surasak Inphrom from the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command base in Tab Lamu, Phang Nga.

Officials present at the meeting included Nanthasak Boonnark, who is the Chief of the Damrongdharma Centre (Ombudsman’s office) at Phuket Provincial Hall, as well as officers from the Chalong Police and the Phuket Livestock Office.

The call for the brothers Reangngern and the owner of the Amazing Bukit Safari camp, which calls the elephant “Nampetch”, to present fresh copies of their registration documents follows Raewat Chernkaew, 54, from Trang province, south of Phuket, arriving to tell officers in person that he sold the elephant to the camp for B1.4 million in February this year.

Mr Raewat said he bought “this elephant” from a man he called “Mr Norkam” for B500,000 more than 10 years ago, but said he could not remember Mr Norkam’s last name. However, he could recall that Mr Norkam was from Tak. Mr Raewat did not refer to “the elephant” by name.

“I have not been in contact with Mr Norkam since,” Mr Raewat said.

Also, he added, “I did not bring the (registration) documents with me. I need to go back and get them from my house.”

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-elephant-fight-turns-into-paperchase-61592.php#pXZ2646Jb7YuUM5S.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-3-29

On 3/29/2017 at 7:24 PM, fiddlehead said:

I always thought the mahout stayed with an elephant for life. 
Maybe that's not true. 
But if it is, why not ask the mahout the elephant's name and if he knows the present owner? 

The Mahout may have died

So the guy who sold the elephant to the local camp can't remember the last name of the guy who sold it to him and hasn't seen him since.

He also neglected to bring the registration documents to the meeting to sort out ownership! He will have to go back home to get them!

OK.