Jump to content

H-RV or Eco-Sport or something else?


Kinnock

Recommended Posts

Looking for a new car to replace a 3 year old Fiesta S.   (I don't want to start a Fiesta gearbox issues thread - especially as personally I've been impressed with the Powershift system and I've had good service from Ford - so what I'd really appreciate is thoughts on the small SUV options).

 

My priorities are for practicality over driving dynamics - which is why I'm not looking at a saloon car again (or a CX3).  Interior space, ability to carry two bicycles, decent ground clearance for floods and Thai roads, reasonably compact for Bangkok traffic, but still able to do a few longer trips, plus a bit of height to help me see all four corners whilst threading it though the sea of motorcycles.

 

I've been looking at:

 

Subaru XV

Honda H-RV

Ford Eco-Sport

 

The new Toyota C-HR looks to be too small in the back for my needs, and it's not available here yet.

 

So far I've only driven the Ford, and it's decent, but perhaps a little heavy for the 1.5 engine, but it's the lowest cost of the three.  I've heard that the H-RV is noisy - any owners thoughts on this?  And I think the XV is due to be replaced, and it's a higher costs than the others.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get yourself a Ford.  Man, they are so good. Mechanics hate them - never in the garage for repairs.  Anyone who says Fords are frauds are buckets of <deleted> masquerading as a motor vehicle is clueless.  And the design -so attractive.  

 

Forget the Honda.  They only were only any good at making motor bikes anyway.  Noisy,  so bad, With the wife whinging and the radio going off - just noisy as hell.  Don't start me on the build quality of a Ford compared to a Honda.  The Japs don't know <deleted>. USA quality - awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are looking for practicality over driving dynamics, go for the HRV. Very good interior space, not bad to drive (test drove one before) and will be easier to resell due to its brand name and popularitiy.

 

There is also the new version of the Ford ecosport which should be out this year..you can try to enquire with Ford on the new engine options that will be available for this new version..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a CX-3 and I love it. It is the most fun to drive of all and the best-looking in my opinion. The back seats are ok, but the trunk is small.

 

The HR-V is the best according comfort and space.

 

Honda and Mazda have also a lot of safety options.

 

The Ecosport is cheaper and also looks cheap to me. The back door is a disadvantage in tight parking situations. The reputation of Ford is not so good in Thailand, especially for the small models. But you seems to have a good experience and so Ford might be a good option in your case.

 

The Subaru XV is a bigger car, like the upcoming Toyota C-HR.

 

There is also the Nissan Juke, the first of this kind of vehicle. The styling is controversial, indeed.

 

If you don't want to stay with Ford, I recommend the Honda and the Mazda. But you should make a test drive with them.

 

Why don't visit the Bangkok Motorshow where you can see all these cars?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, juehoe said:

I have a CX-3 and I love it. It is the most fun to drive of all and the best-looking in my opinion. The back seats are ok, but the trunk is small.

 

The HR-V is the best according comfort and space.

 

Honda and Mazda have also a lot of safety options.

 

The Ecosport is cheaper and also looks cheap to me. The back door is a disadvantage in tight parking situations. The reputation of Ford is not so good in Thailand, especially for the small models. But you seems to have a good experience and so Ford might be a good option in your case.

 

The Subaru XV is a bigger car, like the upcoming Toyota C-HR.

 

There is also the Nissan Juke, the first of this kind of vehicle. The styling is controversial, indeed.

 

If you don't want to stay with Ford, I recommend the Honda and the Mazda. But you should make a test drive with them.

 

Why don't visit the Bangkok Motorshow where you can see all these cars?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

 

 

Yes - I'm off to the show at the weekend, but wanted to be in a position to buy in case there's a good deal.  Hope to drive the H-RV on Friday, and also wanted to see the thoughts of TV posters as part of my 'homework'.  Not sure if I could live with the looks of the Juke, and it's not as practical as the H-RV (which looks to be a pumped up Jazz?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get yourself a Ford.  Man, they are so good. Mechanics hate them - never in the garage for repairs.  Anyone who says Fords are frauds are buckets of masquerading as a motor vehicle is clueless.  And the design -so attractive.  
 
Forget the Honda.  They only were only any good at making motor bikes anyway.  Noisy,  so bad, With the wife whinging and the radio going off - just noisy as hell.  Don't start me on the build quality of a Ford compared to a Honda.  The Japs don't know . USA quality - awesome.


Yeah, right.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would wait for the new Ecosport if you are sure you want one. For me, in its current form, it's not up to the standard of the other Fords available here. The front seats are tiny and much of the interior finish is nearly as poor as a Toyota.

I would also avoid the HR-V because of the dreadful gearbox that inflict much of the Honda range here.

If I remember correctly, the XV also has a CVT transmission.

Obviously, only Stevie Wonder would buy a Juke. It's fugly and rear seat passengers are miserable with pokey little windows.

The CX-3 is possibly the best, especially with the diesel engine. It certainly looks the sharpest, but is overpriced imo.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get yourself a Ford.  Man, they are so good. Mechanics hate them - never in the garage for repairs.  Anyone who says Fords are frauds are buckets of masquerading as a motor vehicle is clueless.  And the design -so attractive.  
 
Forget the Honda.  They only were only any good at making motor bikes anyway.  Noisy,  so bad, With the wife whinging and the radio going off - just noisy as hell.  Don't start me on the build quality of a Ford compared to a Honda.  The Japs don't know . USA quality - awesome.


The Ford Everest and Ranger are good and have quit a good reputation in Thailand. This is not the case with the Ford Fiesta, Focus and Ecosport. You only see a few of them. Why?

I assume you are kidding with «USA quality», isn't it? All Ford sold in Thailand are made in Thailand, too.

Honda and Toyota have a very hight reputation in Thailand. The resale value is high and that is one of the main reason, why the Thai buy them. You also find a dealer just in every village. So these Brands cannot be bad, if they are so successful on the market.


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
Link to comment
Share on other sites



The Ford Everest and Ranger are good and have quit a good reputation in Thailand. This is not the case with the Ford Fiesta, Focus and Ecosport. You only see a few of them. Why?

I assume you are kidding with «USA quality», isn't it? All Ford sold in Thailand are made in Thailand, too.

Honda and Toyota have a very hight reputation in Thailand. The resale value is high and that is one of the main reason, why the Thai buy them. You also find a dealer just in every village. So these Brands cannot be bad, if they are so successful on the market.


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect


Indeed. Thais are very knowledgeable, don't act like sheep and always buy quality.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or are not dazzled by the useless things others must have on a new car - 'Oh No how am I to know I am driving in my Lane Assist' , glove box door button pushing assist, 'Follow too close and apply the Brakes Assist' , I am a complete Nerd and need all the latest junk Assist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, juehoe said:

 


The Ford Everest and Ranger are good and have quit a good reputation in Thailand. This is not the case with the Ford Fiesta, Focus and Ecosport. You only see a few of them. Why?

I assume you are kidding with «USA quality», isn't it? All Ford sold in Thailand are made in Thailand, too.

Honda and Toyota have a very hight reputation in Thailand. The resale value is high and that is one of the main reason, why the Thai buy them. You also find a dealer just in every village. So these Brands cannot be bad, if they are so successful on the market.


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

 

Really! i see loads of Fiesta, Focus and (maybe less) Ecosports here in Pattaya. Honda and Toyotas are only popular because Thais like them not because they are the best. Mazda is the best around at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

and back to the topic....OP wants practicality and space...which in my opinion cuts the Juke and Ecosport. The only remaining contenders if new is a must would be i guess HR-V or Subaru XV (only the Subaru obviously has 4wd). If you don't mind the slightly dated interior (being nice here) of it, it is a good drive.

Just to throw in something....how about a lightly used Volvo V60? a couple of years old should be in the same price range, if possible still with warranty remaining as they have 5 years. Nice interior, practical....Best seats of any cars.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frankphuket said:

and back to the topic....OP wants practicality and space...which in my opinion cuts the Juke and Ecosport. The only remaining contenders if new is a must would be i guess HR-V or Subaru XV (only the Subaru obviously has 4wd). If you don't mind the slightly dated interior (being nice here) of it, it is a good drive.

Just to throw in something....how about a lightly used Volvo V60? a couple of years old should be in the same price range, if possible still with warranty remaining as they have 5 years. Nice interior, practical....Best seats of any cars.....

Yes, the XV does look a bit 1990's inside, but looks like a good practical car with decent ground clearance and the added benefit of four wheel drive.  Surprisingly the rear space in the H-RV looks to be bigger and more practical.

 

The Volvo is very nice, but I think used cars are not good value here - so would prefer to get a new one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes, the XV does look a bit 1990's inside, but looks like a good practical car with decent ground clearance and the added benefit of four wheel drive.  Surprisingly the rear space in the H-RV looks to be bigger and more practical.

 

The Volvo is very nice, but I think used cars are not good value here - so would prefer to get a new one.

well, overall it is a bit of a gamble with 2nd hand cars, but if you take some knowledgeable person with you and you have the security of Volvos 5 years warranty with maybe 2 or so years left, not the worse proposition. Volvos do loose a lot in value quite quickly which is bad if you buy new,  but quite good when you buy 2nd hand. Wouldn't buy a Benz 2nd hand here, nor a Toyota or Honda for that matters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...