US hiker given warning for rescuing 'abandoned' bear cub

webfact

US hiker given warning for rescuing 'abandoned' bear cub

By Kelly-Leigh Cooper

BBC News

A hiker in the US has avoided criminal charges after rescuing what appeared to be an abandoned black bear cub from an Oregon trail.

Corey Hancock, 41, spotted the bear lying on his back alone when returning from a hike on Monday evening.

He said he believes the malnourished bear cub's mother had purposefully left him or been shot by hunters.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39447989

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-03-31

Picking up a seemingly abandoned black bear would be the last thing I would do - and possibly would be!!

Worked on a project in Kelantan during the 90's and there were a number of tigers around our extended site area. We were advised to keep well away from any tiger cubs that we spotted on the site roads as, more than likely, the mother was close by and would make her presence known  if anyone was foolish enough to try and get close to the cubs.

I agree, when you see a cub, or small  kit etc. leave it alone, it may look hopeless but, the mother

is usually not too far away.  I have seen other stories of other city people who go hiking and see

these small animals and think they have to pick them up to rescue them, are just silly.

If these people are not attacked by the mother they should consider them selves very lucky!

Geezer

12 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I agree, when you see a cub, or small  kit etc. leave it alone, it may look hopeless but, the mother

is usually not too far away.  I have seen other stories of other city people who go hiking and see

these small animals and think they have to pick them up to rescue them, are just silly.

If these people are not attacked by the mother they should consider them selves very lucky!

Geezer

Yes, he was lucky, and so is the cub.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:00 PM, whoareyou said:

I would have a run in the opposite direction as fast as my legs would go.

Lived on the Oregon border with Washington state for many years and was a serious hiker, see a bear cub haul ass asap, actually saw two in Alaska one time think I broke the world record for for the four hundred yard dash.