Bangkok gearing up for big parade as TAT expect Songkran cash bonanza

webfact

Bangkok gearing up for big parade as TAT expect Songkran cash bonanza

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- Plans have been announced for a Songkran parade to be held next Saturday along Sukhumvit Road.

The "Cool all over the Earth Amazing Songkran" parade will start near the Emporium shopping center and go to Pathumwan district around Siam Square on April 8th between 6pm and 9.30pm, reported Thai News Agency.

There will be six floats each showcasing an aspect of Thai culture associated with the festival.

Songkran activities will be taking place on four designated areas within the Benjasiri Park throughout the period from 8th April to 13th. There will be activities there each evening from 4 to 8pm including an international "Thephee" beauty contest.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand expect a huge influx of visitors with events planned nationwide. They expect an additional 2.4 million visitors and an extra 17 billion baht flowing into the economy nationwide, reported Thai News Agency.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-31

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The "Cool all over the Earth Amazing Songkran" parade will start near the Emporium shopping center and go to Pathumwan district around Siam Square

Translation....start near the centre of the universe, and go all the way to the edge of the earth as we know it.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand expect a huge influx of visitors with events planned nationwide. They expect an additional 2.4 million visitors and an extra 17 billion baht flowing into the economy nationwide, reported Thai News Agency.

Its always about the money honey. 

They recently said that Songkhran celebrations should be subdued and quiet as it is still the period of mourning.  Now TAT want a big parade and see the money potential as more important. How pathetic !

Hey. It is Songkhran! , an not every body cares to go and get wet in Thailand. . I spent 2.5 months in Thailand and got out

before Songkhan because I am not into that scene. Also the weather was hot during March and it was time to come back

to cool Canada.  Happy Songkhran to those who do attend. Have Fun!

Geezer

I may be wrong but according to my calendar, Songkran coincides with Easter this year I.e. 13-17 April! So why does Bangkok feel the need to celebrate it a week in advance? Or are they going to make it a 2 week celebration to share the road deaths out over a longer period!

1 hour ago, petermik said:

That is the "be all and end all" of almost everything here sadly :whistling:

Many moons ago the sidewalk on our main street was done in beautiful red tiles. Now after bearing the weight of fat and thin alike plus motorbikes they are lifting and creating holes. The answer now is get a bucket of concrete and slop it in the holes. Another quality infrastructure repair for future generations to enjoy.